WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Thomo

Re: WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Post by Thomo »

One of the interesting aspects of being servant to a number of Cats, is watching the wide variety of behaviour patterns, this is useful as it enables one to avert problems. Considering that Izzy is only two years old, he is very intelligent, and can quickly work things out. He is fascinated by moving water, he must have been living by the nearby stream before he moved in here. In the house there are four water sources for the cats, a large stainless bowl in the front hall, a smaller one in the back room where Mabel lives, a dish in the kitten cage and a a glass tumbler in the bedroom, yes some of the older cats prefer a glass tumbler! The big one in the hall, kept there because it is always cool, he cannot move, so he paddles in it, the smaller one in Mabels room he can drag around to get the water moving, with subsequent spillage. Also, in the kitchen, on the worktop and in a corner are several bags of treats, there are usually at least two plastic tubs of treats there as well with snap fitting lids, the bags he cannot open, the tubs, he pushes across the worktop until they fall off. When they hit the tiled floor, the lid flies off, and he can help himself!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That's one clever cat Thomo.
Many years ago I was the servant of a Russian Blue cat, he was a beautiful boy, intelligent, not too demanding and he was very (very) affectionate. I got him when he was 12wks old, having met him (and his mother) about 2 to 3 weeks prior. He was a real little gentleman and I'm sure that is because he stayed with his mother longer than is normal for most kittens, and she taught him further good behaviour points. I was gutted when he was was bumped by a car one morning and killed. He still visits me in my dreams from time to time which is lovely cause I can feel myself cuddling him. I don't know if it was his breed or not but he was quite different to other cats I've had.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

When I lived on Fountain Street, we had two cats - a brother and sister - who were adept at opening doors. They would jump up and swing on the door handles until the door swung open. It was in the days when we didn't much bother locking the doors, so we often returned to a draughty house!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Both Cathy an I used to live in Fountain Street, David. I was actually pushed into this world ( home birth) and took my first breath at No.16.
I always take it for granted that folk know that Cazza and I are sisters. I am the much younger one by nearly three years... :grin:
( an important clarification at our age)
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Marilyn wrote:Both Cathy an I used to live in Fountain Street
Were we ever neighbours? I moved into no 4 in the mid 70s. Folk who I remember as living there some time include Elaine at number 8, Maurice Shine (10) and Shazada Javed (12).

Apologies for discussing this in cat world!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ah...sadly no, as we left there in about '63. We then lived at Colne Road until migrating to Australia in ' 64.

Yes, apologies Thomo. We didn't mean to intrude on your pussy-cats...
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I do not mind at all. Regarding Izzy and his love of water, yesterday he was in the back yard, out there is a 10 litre bucket with about 3" of water in it, having had a look over the edge, he got hold of said edge and pulled it over, having had a drink of the issue, he then played with the remainder as it ran off down the yard, today there is a bit of drizzle, where is he? on the bed!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Had to take our family puss to the vets this morning, yesterday while stroking her I noticed a lump at the end of her ribcage and her tummy was tender, then she started limping, but at the vets today the lump had disappeared her tummy is fine but she has the sprained knee. Vet said she has probably misjudged the height while jumping down from the bed or table. Anyway she has had an injection to help calm the inflammation and we just have keep our eye on her for a few days. She is 7 years old in human years, but in cat years that equates to 51years of age. She is still my little girl, it's hard to take in that she is entering her mature (geriatric) years.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Good luck with the cat Cathy, Ellie, our oldest cat was 16 last Saturday, and at times still very active, she lost a lot of weight after her Brother, Jethro, died 3 years ago, and has never regained it, there isn't a lot of cat left, but she has lovely silky shiny fur and she is very affectionate. The Kittens are doing well and had their first dose of "Panacur" yesterday, this will be repeated today and again tomorrow, with a further session in three weeks time. Two of the kittens, Florence and Lola and now found out what the water bowl is for other than as a paddling pool, and all four have started to play. The only danger area in the lounge was the PC desk and all the attendant bits of kit and cables, all else is flush to floor and walls, now the desk etc, is kitten proof as well.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

What is Panacur? Our cat is coping well, just doing everything in less quantities. When she stops following me into the kitchen at meal times, then I'll worry :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Panacur is a worming treatment in paste form, it is delivered from a graduated syringe onto the back of the cats tongue, there is a stop control on the plunger to avoid the risk of an overdose, very handy.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

"Betterware"! its hard to imagine that a brochure through the letterbox could have such a sudden effect on this cat orientated environment, but it just has! A young Woman came to collect a possible order from here half an hour ago. Mabel was sat on the front window sill, and the young woman recognised her as her Mums Cat, a conversation ensued, and it transpired that said young Woman had moved in with her parents and had lost a young cat, missing now for a week. We explained that whilst we had worked hard with Mabel, she was still aggressive towards the other cats, yet we would do all we could in respect of the missing cat. As a result, Mabel is now back with her original owners. We have given them the bed that we bought for her and assured them that we are prepared to work with them if Mabel vanishes again, provided that they keep in touch, we will also do our best to track down the latest escapee. This development has removed a great deal of pressure from this household, as keeping three factions apart, Mabel, our own cats, and Rosie and her kittens, was becoming severely difficult, and this is only a small bungalow.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Wow what a coincidence. Hope it all works out with Mabel.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It was all meant to happen Thomo, what a lucky puss and how good your household must feel to have been a part of it all. :grin:
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A little normality has returned this morning, the dining room door can now be kept open at all times, it was kept closed at night with Mabel inside, this to avoid night time conflicts. The kittens are learning fast, they have discovered how to wash themselves and have been practising pouncing on Mum and each other, and they know how to climb as well, Much fun lies ahead! Little Poppy is no longer a black and white, patches of grey fur are emerging. Later today the first approach to weaning will take place, this requires a great deal of patience and kitten food mashed up in warm water, ideal for paddling in. We are missing Mabel, but the potential threat has been lifted, our main worry is that Izzy will miss her as they used to play together in the garden, it is windy and drizzling outside, Izzy is fast asleep on my settee and only Evie is awake, now another pic of the Fab Four:-

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A big first this afternoon, Cassie the kitten has become the first to eat solid food, we buy packs of Asda's smart price chicken as a treat for the cats, Rosie had some and left a few bits, Cassie ate them, so I cut another piece up small, and she ate a fair bit of that as well. The others watched this, so I do not think it will be long now before the weaning process truly begins. The threshold of the cage doorway is about 4" high, they used to climb over this when the door was open, now they can jump over it, my legs have become the quick route onto the settee, I have now become Everest, with Hillary. Tensing, Mallory and Stodart all giving it their best. Izzy found a bigger bucket of water out front and pulled it over twice whilst I was watching, pouncing on the resultant water flow. This is day two of RSPCA week, convictions are up by a third in respect of cruelty, last year the week raised £375.000, not good for a nation of animal lovers! when we gladly throw millions at Africa, India and many other places where the money just disappears.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Another advance has been made, at least two of the kittens now use the litter tray, not bad at just four weeks old. The move to solid food is growing steadily, as are the kittens.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's like having children... it's the little things that get you excited and go aaww :) Sweet.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Izzy brought his friend home this morning, note the unusual eye colour,

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

In order of birth, the four kittens are Poppy, Cassie, Florence and Lola. All four are now litter trained, Cassie has been on solid food for a week and often shares with her mum. Poppy made her first effort this morning by eating kitten biscuits, two down, two to go. Each has a different character, Poppy is very playful and adventurous, Cassie is the ringleader and will have a go at anything, Florence is very affectionate and purrs like a Bentley, Lola is cute and quick and loves to explore. All four have an acceleration rate that would put a Ferrari to shame. Here are the most recent pics in birth order:-

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

There has been a great deal of change in the past seven days, all four kittens are now taking solid food and this has removed a lot of pressure from mum Rosie. She has been teaching them how to play and stalk and pounce, they have also started cleaning themselves, all in just under six weeks. The next major hurdle is their integration into the rest of the household, currently only seen through the lounge glass door.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Time for them to leave soon. Have you found homes for all of them?
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

"If" any of these kittens are to go to new homes, there wil have to be a "Cast Iron" guarantee for their future. With our knowledge of the possibilies of this happening, there is a a good chance that they will remain here, then we know that they will be safe, loved and cared for. They are doing well, and far preferable as entertainment to anything else that is available. We have been through a difficult time and these tiny playful animals have made a difference, we will not let them down.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Progress is steady and rewarding. The kittens were 7 weeks old yesterday, at this point we have removed the cage, until then, they were secured in there with Rosie at nights, but given the freedom of the lounge during the day. Now we can leave the lounge door open so that there is freedom of movement around the house and integration with our other older cats. Play times are manic, I wish I had one quarter of their energy. We still have issues to overcome, but we are getting there.
minimiller

Post by minimiller »

This thread needs more pics!!
Mick

Return to “Animals and Pets”