WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

minimiller

Re: WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Post by minimiller »

Why my cat is called Alvin........................

Spot the mouse................

Mick
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Time for an update on the Kittens. Now over 5 months old and each with its own character, it will soon be time for "the snip". Cassie who suffered a broken leg some time ago has now fully recovered without surgery, even the limp has vanished. They now get to play out in the garden when the weather is suitable, this they thoroughly enjoy and I spend much time rescuing bees etc. its amazing how much play value there is in a dead leaf. Izzy loves playing with them but can get a bit over enthusiastic. Mum, Rosie has distanced herself from them and has put on weight, ver laid back she has never made any attempt at leaving the patch, Izzy is the only one who "goes ashore" and he always comes in when it starts going dark. Feeding times are a bit manic and I often wonder how that Lady in the Isle of Man goes on feeding her 280 rescued animals. Here is pic of the Kittens enjoying their daily treats last night, left to right: Cassie, Poppy, Lola and Florence:-

Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good to have an update Thomo. Missed the pic. My cat Lady upset one of her rear legs a few months ago, she was limping and wasn't as active as normal and wimpered sometimes when I picked her up. We think she jumped from a height without thinking about it first. In the last few weeks she has been getting back to normal. Had a shock the other day when I was putting some groceries away, she jumped up on the bench to check out what I had bought, I said 'Oh, oh Hello you', she hasn't done that for ages. I now often come home now and find her hairs on the dining table tablecloth, haven't seen that for ages, so she is getting more adventurous and confident. She also has a special spot in my linen cupboard (on top of my ironed pillowcases!!) where she likes to jump up into and have a snooze, she hasn't been able to do that for ages, but now can. Aren't cats wonderful :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

They are indeed Cathy. The update was long overdue, but I have been just a tad busy for past few months. At last the sun is shining and they are all out in the garden, and loving it, tea time may be a little late today.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It is strangely quiet in the house now, the four Kittens have gone to the Vets at Skipton to be spayed. They were six months old last Wednesday, and apart from Cassie have never been off the patch before. The short break has allowed us to clean the carpets right through the house and attend to other things that are near impossible with Kittens around. Roll on tomorrow, they have only been gone a couple of hours and we are missing them already.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Just over 24 hours and the Kittens are home again, snipped and chipped, taken and collected by the Vets from Skipton, and the bill less than half of the local Vets estimate at £.115 all in. They are home and settling back nicely. Did we miss them, damn right we did, and so did the older cats, they have hardly eaten anything during the Kittens absence.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

As you know Thomo animals love routine and know straight away if something different is about to happen or has happened.
Had to laugh yesterday with my own cat, I had placed a pair of wet sneakers next to an open door upside down to dry. My cat (apparently) hadn't seen my sneakers from this angle and her body language while she was investigating them was really strange, not confident or elegant at all. I had to force myself to stay quiet while she worked it out for herself. Very funny :).
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Got home after nearly six weeks away on holidays and first day back was followed every step I took by son's Labrador. I did numerous trips to the clothes line with wet washing and was accompanied back and forth as if we were connected by an invisible cord. She would not let me out of her sight...even sat outside the loo waiting for me. Very needy of frequent, reassuring cuddles too.
Today it was hubby's day for monitoring. She fell into step with him first thing this morning and hasn't left his side. He was getting a bit sick of it by lunch time, but I told him not to be such an old grump.
I think she has satisfied herself that we are here to stay and are not going to disappear on her again.
Funny old things, dogs.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Apols to feline fanatics, but reading the previous post prompts me to mention the TV programme I saw five minutes of when I landed home last night about doggy disorders... attachment disorder included. Some weird and wacky help out there, including a dedicated dog TV channel in the US that takes their mind off it.

Our cats watched scornfully.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The new kitten in Co-operative Street has decided Jack is no threat. Sat there watching him pass yesterday.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It has not been a good week in this household, the colossal damage to the book project after a lightning strike was bad enough, but now we have a sick Cat as well. Molly who came to us for help 10 years ago has suddenly lost a lot of weight and her love of life. The new Vet from Skipton has just been and taken Molly away to spend the weekend with her, for monitoring, and to see what can be done. There is a hole in the household that will remain until we have news. She is and always has been since her arrival a wonderful part of our lives, I feel desolate.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

She's in the best place Thomo, they will do all they can.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

We are eagerly awaiting the return of our Molly about lunch time today, having spent over 4 days at the Vets. She has Kidney problems and on levels of seriouness from 1 - 5 she is 4, which is not good.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry to hear that Thomo but better at home with people she knows I'm sure.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Molly is now back home and there is an improvement in her general well being. We are not out of the woods yet, and there are medications to administer and a special diet to feed her. This sort of thing does not come cheap but I am not overawed by the cost to date. In short, moving to this new Vet is the best thing we have ever done as I know what it would have cost before having been there. The current bill for 5 days is less than the earlier one for 1 day with the previous Vets, and on that occasion we lost the cat as well. The other aspect of this change is that this Vet comes to us and provides all transport should it be required. Bills have 2 levels of general reduction, 10% off for pensioners and another 10% off for multiple Cats. Well worth considering.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

With the advent of bad weather my lodger cat has started using the box under the bench again. For the last couple of days we have had a visitor, a small tabby which is obviously wanting to share the box but my original tenant is having none of it! The tabby is evidently used to a litter box because yesterday I left a shovelful of hot ashes to cool in the yard and the little bugger peed in it! Long while since I had to deal with 'clumping'!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thomo how is Molly doing? Still early days I guess.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

How do I keep neighbour's cats from walking all over my car roof, sliding down the windscreen and trotting over my bonnet? The slide marks on the windscreen drive me nuts. Takes me until the end of our road to clear them with the wipers in the morning.
The evil side of my brain keeps seeing those metal spikes put on window ledges to deter birds nesting, but the angelic side of my brain keeps me squirting the washing water and getting the wipers going.
Between cats on the car and a neighbourhood dog doing whoopsies on my lawn every morning, I am about to dress in battle fatigues adorned with shrubbery.....
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Ha! Could think of a few things to deter the cats but won't mention any of them (as you know I am a cat lover). Apart from putting some oil on your windscreen which could be fun to watch the results, but counter productive for you, I can only suggest putting a cover on your car.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Actually... ( good thinking 99) , a cover is quite a good suggestion. I shall look in to one. ( obvious really, when you think of it, but if hadn't thought of it! And that is one of the things I admire in my sister...always seems to get to the crunch of things quicker than me...)
Now...about the dog...solve that one and I shall buy you another packet of those Tim Tam chocolate thingies.

( she says, swinging a bag of chocolate thingies from side to side)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Find out where it comes from, collect its leavings and post them through their letterbox!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thomo, how is Molly doing?
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

It will be a week today since Molly came back home, she is reasonably stable but a constant source of worry. She is on prescription food and two types of medication. one is a tasteless liquid than can either be applied to her food or given orally, the other is in tablet form, not easy to deliver. But now we have another big problem, Izzy, the ex stray was out on Sunday evening and after two hours of constant fireworks nearby, he did not return home until 1000 on Monday morning, the first time he has missed being in at night for ten months. Yesterday we noticed that is left back leg appeared slightly out of line, and he stayed in all day, this morning it was worse and I was about to call the Vet, but he has got out and vanished. I have alerted the neighbours to keep an eye out for him, all we can hope is that hunger and desire for comfort will bring him home as this would not be an easy area to search. In short its another worry coming at the end of a crap month, and I feel a bit raw.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Having lost Molly recently and then being declared redundant by my daughter followed by the disappearance of Izzy on Sunday the 22nd of this month, Christmas was probably the worst I have ever known. Not knowing what had happened to him was a nightmare coming true, mental images of him trapped, possibly hurt, hungry, frightened and thirsty, or dead are something that take a lot of dealing with when one is already down. We had searched for him and then put leaflets out around our area. The local Vets has been informed on the Monday after he disappeared. The result, nothing.
At 4.30 pm yesterday I rang the Vets to see if there was any news, the answer "sorry no", they suggested ringing the local cleansing dept and gave me the number, animals found injured are taken to the Vets, those found dead are kept deep frozen for a while for possible identification. At 4.45 I was about to do this when the phone rang, a man from a house 100 yards away telling me that it sounded and looked like their cat! I asked if he was there and was told that he was at their new home near to Long Preston. I went straight round with a good picture of Izzy and yes it was him. It appears that Izzy had been going there off and on for 18 months and that on the 22nd they had moved house, Izzy had turned up and they took him with them, after all "he was just a stray" and they had adopted him in July 2012. I explained that Izzy has been abandoned when his former keepers had moved house, and that I had tracked them down and as a result of what I found had decided that he was better off here, this was in late May 2012. The man had come back to the local house to collect some bits and pieces and had found my flyer behind the door. Worn out by recent events and just happy that Izzy was all right, I decided not to challenge the couples rights provided that they would look after him and contact me if ever there was a problem, the young man seemed genuine and also offered help if we ever have trouble re-homing another cat. I also explained that Izzy had been coming for food during the day for over 18 months, coming in when the weather was bad, and had slept on our bed every night for 10 months, and about the Vet having treated him in November when he had come in limping, plus the 3 days this month when he appeared to have been poisoned and I fed him liquids with a syringe. Immense relief had overcome rational thought yesterday and last night I slept better, today there is a bit of anger and sorrow, the latter because I may never see him again, and the anger because when we take on an animal we always try to find its previous owner before adopting it, in this we have always been successful. We will miss him, and the kittens who he was so good with, and played with will wonder where he is. I just hope that I have done the right thing and that all will end well, there is little doubt that their will be another cat who needs help before too long, and the process will be repeated, but the ground rules will be changed. I never wish to go though this again.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thomo, I'm sorry but this guy sounds suss to me. Izzy has been accepting your food for 18months and sleeping on your bed for 10 months, and you have provided for him medically!! What concern has this guy had for Izzy?? Makes me angry. Izzy is your cat and belongs with you.

Return to “Animals and Pets”