WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: WELCOME TO CAT WORLD.

Post by Marilyn »

The cat belongs to no one. He chooses to be wherever he roams. The only way to have him is prevent him from wandering.
Hopefully he is desexed....
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I said belongs with Thomo because this guy appears to have no concern where Izzy is while he is being cared for by Thomo.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you for that. Cat ownership is a complex arrangement and the most popular idea is that you never own a cat, it is the reverse. To a degree this is true, but the difference is down to the "owner". If the cat is well cared for, loved and respected they make ideal companions and will always be near at hand. The immense relief I felt, knowing that Izzy was "safe" clouded my judgment and has been replaced by a degree of anger and fears for his future. The anger stems from the way that this was done, "I have been well and truly had"!! and not by Izzy, this is not sitting well. The fears are that despite assurances that they who took him would keep in indoors for a while may not happen, and Izzy loved this patch and knowing cats as I do, he may well try and return. It was in effect a "fait acomplis". I loved Izzy and always cared for him, why did he spend at least 75% of his time here? There are things that I could do: 1. I could demand his return. 2. It would not take long to locate him and affect a snatch. 3. Wait for him to find his own way back if he wants to. In the words of Admiral Yamamoto after the attack on Pearl Harbour " I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant, and filled him with a terrible resolve". I am not a giant, but I do have what is required to expedite Izzy's return should I wish to do so, Whatever, when faced with difficult circumstances, there is often something that comes along that needs urgent attention and puts a different perspective on life. I have a friend who lives near by, and who also works with cat welfare, over the years we have had much success in tracking owners and re-homing cats when necessary, and this morning there was an appeal on behalf of two six year old female house cats (sisters). Their owner has died and they are currently still in their home being tended by relatives. I have been to see my friend and have told her that if this situation is not resolved soon, we will take them in, these cats do not now face an uncertain future. The man who took Izzy gave me his phone number and offered possible help for re-homing in the future, I could then offer an exchange, but this is unlikely as I do not believe that that couples intentions are that good. We will see what happens next!!!!!!!!!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I called in at the local Vets, Stanley House this morning, to buy cat biscuits, whilst in there I asked if they had any records for cat treatment in the past 2 years for 146 Gisburn Rd. The answer was no, the couple that took him claimed to have had Izzy "chipped there in July last year!!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I am really surprised that they gave you that information. When someone tried to contact us through our vet, they were told nothing other than they would pass on their phone number to us, which they did. They said it was customer confidentiality.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I have worked with this Vets Practice many times when trying to track previous owners, and had re-homing problems, they are appalled at what has happened. The house that this couple lived in was rented, The landlord should have a forwarding address, members our family farm in the Long Preston area, and I worked with Naval Intelligence, finding them will not be a problem. What happens next is still under consideration, and our new Vet and Craven RSPCA have been informed of what has taken place. To be clear, I did not ask the Vet for this couples details, I wanted to know the truth about their claims to have had Izzy chipped by them. They had not.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thought they sounded suss... Go get 'em Thomo!! and bring Izzy home.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Mmmmmm...I'm not so sure...
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Last Sunday I posted in another topic about two cats in need of help, their owner having died. They are currently living in their own home at Rimington near Gisburn and being tended by family members based in Burnley, but who's home is in Rome. Italy. Work is going to start on the house in Rimington next week in preparation for it being put up for sale. My friend Rosalind whom I have worked with on cat rescue and welfare for some time, went to see them yesterday and their situation is not good, they are traumatised. Therefore we have decided that they will come here, and will be arriving later today, two more saved from an uncertain future, this does not mean that Izzy will be ignored or forgotten, we want him back and are prepared to do whatever it takes to make this happen. Many times we have said "that is enough now" but life isn't like that, is it.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Christmastime ( never straightforward with us at the best of times ) has managed to get more complicated. Wife brought down to London both cats ( to save on one going into cattery ). So our older stray enjoyed the hospitality of Son's new flat ( tiny and overpriced , but its where his work and other family are so the best they can manage with for now) - more precisely under the bed ( which he and I had moved the same journey with about three weeks ago ) so she was re-acquainted with that. Prospective Daughter-In-Law has taken on the 'new' 'stray'- which she had chipped and registered last Christmas when it was visiting and enjoying the food , warmth and company in Barnoldswick. Since the move over to Burnley the new neighbours have been moaning about the cats ( cos they wander between the gardens and generally are marking their far territories in the usual way ) so they have both been indoor cats for the last couple of months. Anyway new stray quickly settled in ,deciding that the sofas which had arrived the day before him were excellent beds , scratching posts and even better if others were sitting on them has he could get a little extra body heat, one of the cardboard tags is also an excellent plaything - the newly bought toys being generally ignored- but the laminate flooring is not helping him get a grip on turning and walking so he will be waiting for the rug to arrive before his front legs get dislocated. Both cats finished up me mums left-over turkey from Christmas Day , before the wife left this morning to return to work via visiting her mum, with our stray generally sleeping for the first part of the three hour journey. Chaos unfortunately unfolded as some time in the preceeding 36 hours her mum decided to die. ( I don't know if she was rung before setting off , its all a little confusing ),which was not found until she arrived there. After generally getting the basics sorted out , the onward travel has been able to occur and son has had to organise a temp hotel stay for her , but , being New Year Eve its been difficult to ensure the cat is best looked after. She should be OK until we can get up, setting off early tomorrow(?today) with the attempt to get the right things and people to the right places. Of course with traveling for the day , Son also has to arrange cat feeding,etc from his girlfriend's family. I think overall the cats will cope better than we will, but it will take a bit of time to get everything sorted.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Does sound very complicated Whyperion, hope it all works out well for everyone. Good Luck
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The latest arrivals to our cat family came at teatime yesterday. They are beautiful but is clear that they have had a rough time, patience and love will put this right in due course. They are safe now and are at present confined to the dining room, they are warm and dry, and are eating and drinking and keeping themselves clean. With great pleasure may I now introduce:-

Well I would introduce Patch and Marmy with pictures, but this is not working like it used to, so I will have to go back to the drawing board.

Marmy

Patch
Last edited by Thomo on 02 Jan 2014, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Just popped the pictures in for you Thomo, hope that is OK.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Brilliant, Thank You.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They look a couple of belters Thomo. See other topic for comment on Gallery problems.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Marmy and Patch are settling in nicely now, they are eating and drinking well and making good use of the two cat beds in the dining room, one of which is an igloo and the other a wicker basket. Stage one of integration is now in place, "we have left the dining room door open"! There are several options available if this direct approach becomes too difficult to manage, we can isolate the rear of the house, dining room, bedroom, bathroom and toilet by closing the central passage door, if the original cats are all in the front part, Marmy and Patch can explore the remainder, this can also be reversed. The problem with this is that our original cats do not like closed internal doors and will quickly assemble en mass on their side, this could be viewed as a silent threat to the new arrivals. At the moment, two of the kittens, Cassie and Lola have ventured into the dining room and all is quiet, the law of averages dictates that this may not last for long, one side curious and the other defensive. I will post updates as developments occur.
Last edited by Thomo on 02 Jan 2014, 11:54, edited 2 times in total.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I think both sides will be curious and both sides will be defensive, but for different reasons. both sides will pick-up on this, realize they are being looked after and theres no need to be frightened, and come together. Animals know when something sad/bad has happened :smile:
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The door has now been open 5 hours, Evie and Ellie, our two oldest cats,14 and 17 have been in and had a look, all is well at present. New food dishes etc have been bought for Marmy and Patch this morning. Interesting here is that our o/s utility room has a catflap in the door, and there are signs of entry, Izzy used it if we weren't about and he wanted shelter, but its too early for that yet, if as promised they are keeping him in. On this subject, family members have suggested that if he has a good new home, then let it be, this is fine, and if I were sure about their good intentions, I may do just that, the truth is I am not sure at all. There is also the question of how it was done, no attempt was made to check their belief that Izzy was going elsewhere, and this for the majority of the time, something that we have always done before taking an animal in. Christmas was always going to be hard this time due to problems earlier in December, the disappearance of Izzy was the last nail, this would at best be hard to forgive, and I am not good at giving up. Rolling over and and accepting defeat is not in my remit, it is possible that an "olive branch" will be offered, but if that fails, the Nelson touch may well take over. Nemo me impune lacessit.
Downers

Post by Downers »

Glad to hear Marmy and Patch are happy and loved and hopefully making friends ❤️
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

They are doing well and have just had their tea. "Free Gangway" is still in place and apart from the odd low growl all is well, as a reward there will be fresh chicken for all at suppertime. The dining room door will be closed at bedtime to ensure a good night for all, and the big breakthrough will come when we no longer need to do this. Time and patience can work wonders, as can a warm and happy environment. Variety of diet and cleanliness are paramount and are the basic principles for the well being of any animal, I have been into homes where litter trays were only cleaned when they became a problem for humans, and where the same applied to food dishes. Finding out how a cat thinks is somewhat of a black hole, even for Vets, and I imagine it will be ever thus, but if one takes the time it is not too difficult to find out what their preferences and dislikes are. The simple fact that Marmy and Patch are responding well to our efforts is a clear indicator that we are on the right track. Also, Marmy and Patch are never left alone for long, apart from during the night, the dining room is where Joan does her jigsaw puzzles and as such spends a fair amount of time in there, now that the door can be left open it will not be long before curiosity overcomes fear and the integration moves to the next phase.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

As expected and hoped for, things are moving steadily if slowly forwards, again the door is open and this morning Ellie, our oldest at 17 just wandered in and helped herself to some of what was left of breakfast. Marmy quietly approached her and contact was made with very little fuss. Both are comfortable and asleep at present. We can give them love and encouragement, the rest they will do themselves in time. I will be calling the couple who took Izzy tomorrow, how they respond will determine what happens next.
Downers

Post by Downers »

Glad to hear things are progressing well, I am now back in Rome to look after my "tiger" Barney!!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you, good luck and a Happy New Year, you deserve it. All is well, steady but sure, we are not pushing Marmy and Patch to integrate, and they are now making small forays out of the dining room on their own. Teatime today is tuna in spring water, a big favourite with our original cats, dishes guaranteed to be emptied. We "Will" get there. The task of ensuring Izzy's future welfare is now under way and began yesterday, the phone number is a mobile and it always comes up with the answerphone, calls to this will now be on an hourly basis. I wish to make them an offer, but I need to know where they are, and that Izzy is safe and well. I will not go into details, but if they will not respond, I will do it the hard way.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Yes, the dishes were empty, and in record time, 4 tins of tuna gone in under 10 minutes, much washing done after, and then a good sleep all round.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Progress is still sure but steady in regard to Marmy and Patch, they are two beautiful and affectionate cats. The dining room door is only closed at night now to give them their own bit of space. It was a week ago yesterday since they arrived and they have been no trouble at all, they are a bit shy of the other cats but this is understandable, it is all new to them. I have spoken with the couple who took Izzy, and have made them aware of the distress that they have caused, not one iota of regret was shown, not only that but their story about their involvement does not tally with the facts. What I do have now is their new address, this they are not aware of yet, but they will shortly be getting a letter with the copies of Izzy's Vets bills attached, plus his full history. If they are willing to reimburse the costs and give me some guarantee that Izzy will be well cared for I just might back off, or if they return him I will forget the bills and that will be the end of it all. If neither of these things happen then what happens next will be down to me, or Izzy. We miss him badly, and every day is not the same without him, this is not over yet, not by any stretch of the imagination, I can be very reasonable and understanding but will not be taken for an old fool.

Return to “Animals and Pets”