CAT IN URGENT NEED OF HELP

Thomo

CAT IN URGENT NEED OF HELP

Post by Thomo »

A visitor this afternoon who also works with cat rescue, has told us that there is a cat in urgent need of help, we are both full, as is Craven RSPCA. This cat lives on a narrow boat and is currently at the local marina. On Wednesday next week his owners are moving abroad and he is in danger of being "Put Down"! This cat is about 12, black and white large male, neutered and fully vaccinated. Can anyone help to save this animal??
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Thomo

Re: CAT IN URGENT NEED OF HELP

Post by Thomo »

The above post may appear to show a lack of concern on the part of the cats owners, leaving this until the 11th hour. This is not the case, arrangements had been made for the animal to be re-housed but the offer has been withdrawn.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Unable to help. My lurcher is not cat friendly. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Just a thought Thomo, have the owners asked around the canal boat community? Maybe puss would be happier to stay onboard. Wishing you and the owners Good Luck.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you all. Having worked at that marina for many years, I know most of the people, staff and customers, but one thing is stopping me from going there to see what I can do. If I see the animal, I will feel emotions that I may not be able to control. This I may yet do if all else fails, we could foster the cat for a short time and see if we can find him a new home, this would not be easy. My friend who came yesterday does not have as many cats as we do, but she has MS and is struggling to cope with what she has. The modern narrow boat community is not the same as the old one, then there would not have been a problem, and there are few residential boats down there. I have less now than five days, but I will not give up!!!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A bit of better news. My friend Rosalind is going to see the cat this afternoon and take pictures of him, these I will post here when I get them. Also, the cats owners are delaying their departure by 7 days in order to achieve a possible happy solution. We have also decided that in order to save this animal, and if a new home cannot be found soon, he will be "fostered". The cat is not a free range animal, but having lived on a narrow boat, he can swim!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I don't think a 12yo cat, not being free range would adapt very easily to living on our place.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This came from Rosalind last night:=

Hello Peter,

We had a wonderful visit to see this larger than life laid back cat. He is friendly likes his comfort and fresh chicken or tuna for a treat. He took a good look at us and decided we were ok so he rolled about showing off. I loved him. His fur needs a good brush other than that he is a superb cat for an older person. On the way back we called in to see our good friend Jean. She jumped at the chance of fostering him. I do know she misses a pet after having cats and dogs most of her married life Jean is in her eighties but she said she would like the company. The cat answers to his name of Guinness. If I knew he would get on with the others I would have him. He does not like noise as he runs back in if he has strayed out to far. What do you think, if he likes it at Jeans it may become long term. Jean asked when was he arriving so if all ok could go next week.

Bye for now

Rosalind

And here is Guinness

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

He is gorgeous...
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This morning, Rosalind rang the cats present owner to give him the good news, then she rang Jean to update her, Jean has just today lost a dear friend and has withdrawn her offer to foster Guinness. So, its back to the drawing board, poor cat, but we will not let him die. I will produce some posters and put them about, hoping that it achieves a good result.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gee Guiness looks good for 12ys old, wishing him all the best.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Two people who have offered help in the past week have for reasons of concern for the future welfare of Guinness, been turned down. But with time running out, another call yesterday evening, as a result of the poster in the local Vets, may produce a happy ending, this we will know shortly.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I am very happy to announce that Guinness is now with his new owners, and if it does not work out, there is another waiting who will definitely give him a new home.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I'm not a cat lover but have been following your story with interest and I'm glad everything has turned out well for Guinness. Well done.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That's wonderful news for Guinness, I'm sure if he could he would thank all the humans involved who found him a new home. Aaww :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This afternoon we were asked for help by a family member who lives on Ethel Street. He had found a very distressed cat on his doorstep and did not know what to do. The cat, an elderly female Tabby and white semi longhair with a blue collar is now with Stanley House Vets at Colne. This poor animal was undernourished and flea ridden. It has been given anti biotic's and will be given over to the care of the finder. The outlook is not too bright and this cat may have to be put down, if anyone knows who the owner may be, please get in touch on 01282 813355.
Last edited by Thomo on 26 Jul 2014, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

I've posted this on Facebook Peter.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Someone has sent me a message on Facebook:

Hi,
someone has said that you posted about a cat being found, white with blue collar?
Found on Ethel St, which is where she lives. Been told she is at Stanley House Vets, but they say they haven't got her. Can you shed any light on where she may be. She belongs to my DIL's next door neighbour. Thank you.

I've given her your phone number Peter.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many thanks David.The cat named Sukie was returned to Ethel St. after treatment at the vets. We received a call yesterday and advised the lady to speak with Bradley, the young man who found the cat. He was given food for the cat but advised not to take her in due to her flea problem. The trouble is that there are many places in the Havre Park area where she could be, with a large number of garage, sheds etc, that may be left open at times, and locked at others. Again thank you David, lets hope that all ends well.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Word is starting to come in about two "Rag Doll" cats in urgent need of rehoming. Not much is known at present and we are awaiting further details. As I write a call tells me that these two are going to the CPL next week unless something can be done, There are two Males, Ozzy and Charlie, 7 and 8 both neutered, I will be calling their owner later, but this is beginning to sound desperate. Having already explained that we have 8, for us it would be a big ask as we are both pensioners. "Surely you could find room for two more" hurts, but will not be dismissed out hand.

Anyone with links to other local sites, please copy.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Sadly this last attempt to help had to be abandoned, see Cats World. Now there is another one, even more desperate. It may have jumped ship near Silentnight, and that's where it is now. It is being cared for by an employee and needs attention fast. The management want it out of there ASAP, further details available on request here.

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Things are now looking better for this poor little cat, the pressure for removal from where it is has dropped. It has been seen and treated by a Vet, and now just needs a new home where it will be loved and cared for. If this does not happen soon, we can arrange for it to come here into what we have as a secondary accommodation, not ideal but safe. There has been a similar case at Rolls Royce Ghyll Brow, "effing safety" said it must go, a revolt by the workers said "NO". Thank you for common sense and humanity.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The lady who is currently looking after this poor animals welfare has just been to see us. The possible future owner has backed down. The cat will now be examined by the Vets at the carers expense and then brought here into temporary accommodation. What happens next depends on someone with a generous caring spirit, or us. "What have you done today to make you feel proud". If you have a place in your life for an unfortunate animal, then please let us know!
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The temporary accommodation has been cleaned and prepared, all is ready. New Igloo bed, litter tray, food and water dishes. What we truly need now is a kind hearted person who needs a small companion. Support can be given to such a person if required.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This has to be the first topic requiring an update, the last animal mentioned is now safely with us and will have is own place in "Welcome to Cat World" What comes next is truly urgent and we have little time left in order to get it sorted, under two weeks. This concerns two Tortoiseshell six year old Sisters, both neutered and in urgent need of a caring new owner. They are house Cats but enjoy time with their current owner in the garden, Pepper and Scarlet. Their owner is moving in two weeks time and although they are much loved, they cannot be taken to the new address. We and most of our friends who work on these projects are full to capacity, we are already above this. If anyone may be able to help it will be much appreciated.

Return to “Animals and Pets”