Wildlife Corner

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Wildlife Corner

Post by Wendyf »

I saw a lone swallow passing through today and two noisy skeins of geese heading west.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Our Barlick geese have been very quiet of late. Weather not hard enough yet to make them feel the necessity to flit across the town between roosts?
Cress in Valley gardens has recovered well and I noticed yesterday how much cleaner the water was emerging form the bottom of the bed than that at the top.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Every Spring there is a Lizard that passes thru my back garden, you have to be quick and catch sight of him 'on the day'. Yesterday was the day and I only saw him this year because I was weeding close to where he was, in fact I wouldn't have known that he was even there if he hadn't moved. Everytime I moved a few feet he went under a concrete path, when I settled he came out again. Funny little thing. Part of a concrete path in my back garden is removed at the moment (water damage) but I made sure that the Lizard has a clear soft path to get out under the fence, close to where he is. I wish I could give him some water, I imagine that is what he is looking for, but Lizards are so low to the ground, it makes it hard. Can't see him anywhere today.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

For eight years Charlie has had a swim in this corner of the Mere, on this day a swan asks him to leave the water. His nest is at the far end but he wants it all.[attachment=0]PHOT0382.JPG[
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LizG

Post by LizG »

Hartley353, your photos never cease to amaze me. They are magnificent. Keep them coming. The angry swan and the smiley dog is just beautiful.
Liz
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The tufted duck normally seen only at a distance, but a long lens draws him in, an all year round visitor.
PHOT0089.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

LizG wrote:Hartley353, your photos never cease to amaze me. They are magnificent. Keep them coming. The angry swan and the smiley dog is just beautiful.
Thankyou LizG. Photos are pointless if no one sees them.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0379.JPG
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

We had two large skeins of geese passing on Saturday afternoon also heading west - maybe the same ones.
Say only a little but say it well.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Plenty of geese passing over our house very high. Probably from the Ribble estuary and heading for the moors.
PHOT0420.JPG
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

via Wythenshawe? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

When you have flown in from Spitsbergen, to cross Manchester is only a stroll.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0427.JPG
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I am almost certain that I saw a red kite drifting over here yesterday. I was just setting off in the car when it came into view and I thought I caught a glimpse of forked tail feathers. By the time I had stopped to get a better look it was being chased off in the Lothersdale direction by a couple of crows.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, the fact it was being chased by crows guarantees it was an interloper so you were probably right. There would be some good thermals yesterday encouraging soaring birds to roam.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0006.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0001.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The Canada Goose has increased in numbers over over the last forty years, and is now widespread.
PHOT0008.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0547.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0015.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

DSC_0005.JPG
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Love all your pics Hartley, thanks. Wow those Owls - what is it about Owls?? :)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Thank you Cathy, Glad you enjoy them. Owls are very mystical they seem to have the ability to look into your soul and judge, As a young teen I became foster parent to two when their home in Marsden park was blown down by high winds. They were successfully reared but unfortunately would never have survived if released. When I reached sixteen they were found a home in a sanctuary and brought pleasure to many who visited. The world owl sanctuary is a very special place and I try to visit a couple of times a year.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We went to a wedding the other week at Gretna Green (not ours we have already done our 50 years stint). The groom insisted that the brides ring was delivered by a barn owl which flew the length of the church. Very romantic.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Did you see the story in the media a couple of weeks ago, of the owl in a similar situation, which promptly flew up to the belfry, and went straight to sleep. Very romantic. . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “Animals and Pets”