WILD ? .."I was LIVID" !..(Wildlife Corner)

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WILD ? .."I was LIVID" !..(Wildlife Corner)

Post by Stanley »

The valley in Butts and the surrounding area is one of the best habitats in Barlick I think. Always something going on there even in the depths of winter!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Pine martin invades swiss football match just wonderful. Recent posting on Which Digital Camera site of a waxwing probably the best image I have ever seen.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The garden was full of frogs last night, very late this year probably two weeks behind. The carp in my pond devour most of the eggs and a lot of the tadpoles,but some live on, always plenty of small ones. Lesser spotted woodpecker has returned to the woods at the back this is the only time of year I get to see them,once the leaves return I will only hear them,they will breed within 100 yards of the house but the young once fledged will come to the bird table. Buzzards circling above the house this morning Spring is not far off now.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Hartley, I note you like Guinness and keep carp and also seem to enjoy One Guy. How about making a donation to the running of the site ? Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Nolic wrote:Hartley, I note you like Guinness and keep carp and also seem to enjoy One Guy. How about making a donation to the running of the site ? Nolic
Pleased to say I did that a few weeks ago. 29th Jan to a Stephen Taylforth.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Thank you Hartley.
The donations record is not updating. Nolic
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Consequence of the handover. Can someone update the sidebar?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Donation bar and orange glow are both Admin tasks.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Where is the donation bar???
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

At the bottom of the Forum page.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It should progress when a donation is made to the site but it is a manual task rather than automatic. Not sure how the orange glow is bestowed, maybe an Admin move to a different membership pool or something.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Ahh I see it, don't think I have ever been down to the bottom of the page.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz donated about a week ago and that hasn't made a change on the donations page. Perhaps Pluggy needs to update it but if he hasn't then it might be my fault - he's busy building a computer for me! :cool4:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The donations are going to the right place, Pluggy, but the bar won't be reactivated until he and Doc have finished the handover process. As far as I know they are in the throes of this at the moment! (Hopefully!) The delay has been down to Doc, he's been snowed under.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm sure I saw a swallow this afternoon. I've just looked back to last year's spring topic and my barn swallows arrived on the 25th April...so it's possible there is one around.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That wouldn't surprise me, they can forecast Spring better than we can.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Little goldfinch in the garden this morning. Beautiful little creature and the red on his face is so striking.
On a less pleasant note a deer trap has been found on the Greenfield Nature Reserve at The Boundary close to where Cath and I saw some deer during the bad snow. Police are investigating. Nolic
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade, one thing I noted while researching the inter-war years in Barlick was that as the economic climate worsened, the incidence of poaching went up. Could we be seeing the same thing again, or just pure greed and criminals after cheap meat?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I think it is more to do with the East European immigration than anything else. Any lake,river or pond seems to attract men who will take all sorts of fish that by law should not be removed. I believe that around Peterborough coarse fishing pleasure lakes have been emptied by poachers.
I suspect they would know more about trapping deer than most locals. Nolic
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

East european immigrants led by the poles, have been a constant problem in all parts of the country. When they discovered our lakes rivers and streams were full of fish, they filled their bellies, originally many were poaching but when this was pointed out to them, they bought licences to fish. In the majority of occasions it is not illegal to take fish for the table as long as they are of minimum size or over. Many of these people have turned their hand to poaching Deer etc, but no where near as many as the numbers we see born within this country. The police have tried in some areas to set up rural crime officers, but again financial restraints have lessoned their numbers or stopped their actions. The poaching problem is historic, in my memory I can remember when indian and pakistani immigrants were caught poaching wild goats on the outskirts of Glasgow in the sixties The man taking one for the pot has become acceptable in this country, the ones who do this commercially are a big problem,and as long as there are people who will pay for their quarry, they will prosper. Next time when dining out and you see wild game on the menu, ask from where it came.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

hartley353 wrote:. In the majority of occasions it is not illegal to take fish for the table as long as they are of minimum size or over.
It's not so simple as that. Removal of fish from private stocks is theft and is illegal. Removal from stretches of rivers where their are riperian rights is mostly illegal but there are some exceptions http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/st ... )final.pdf. I have seen the evidence of fish being removed from private ponds - Victoria Park, Nelson for example. And there are worse examples of other wildlife being eaten illegally http://nationalculturists.org/2012/07/2 ... nd-rivers/ ........I do not subscribe to the majority of views expressed on this particular site. Nolic
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Isn't there a Vivary Way in Colne? Without looking it up, I think a vivary was a pond in medieval time containing live fish for food. Perhaps they should be reinstated, then everyone would be happy. If Todmorden can have its free fruit and veg, why not free fish in Colne? :smile: I'm sure someone on here knows a lot more about this sort of thing.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Thanks Tripps, as an angler for most of my life and a member of a number of fishing clubs who run their own waters I do know what I'm talking about.
In the longer term your suggestion would be doomed to failiure. It takes many years for fish to inhabit a pond and its very much touch and go dependent on water fowl picking up spawn on their legs from one water and then depositing it in another water. Once fish are removed from a water it would take about 10 to 15 years to get a pond inhabited again to the extent that its worth fishing.... for pleasure.
I have a friend who is a welder and a number of years ago he was asked to dismantle an emergency water tank from the roof of John Cotton's mill at Waterside in Colne. The owners told him that the tank had required no maintenance and no-one had been near it for over 30 years. When Alan went up to have a look he found the tank had dozens of roach, a few carp and a few hybrids. He agreed a price with the owners which included removing the fish to one of our club lodges. The point is that it had taken in excess of 30 years for the tank to develop as a home. Once this stock of fish had been removed it would take another age to develop to the same state.
In the vast majority of waters including rivers and canals and private fishing lakes either an individual or a fishing club has bought the fish and stocked them either for their own or commercial pleasure fishing. Fish do not come cheap.Have a look at this commercial breeder's costs http://www.aquatico.co.uk/fishforsale.html and waters have to stock and re -stock fish in quantities to allow for effective pleasure fishing. Given natural predation from cormorants, rats, otters etc I cannot imagine anyone wanting to stock a pond to allow 2 legged robbers free food.
As with most things in life there is no such thing as free fishing. Nolic
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Part of the problem of course is that throughout most of Europe particularly the Eastern countries coarse fish are seen as a normal part of the diet. Over here we only seem to eat the game species with plenty of fish to take lakes available for the angler to have sport and something for the table as well as long as you pay the price for the day ticket which seems fair to me. These lakes are often at commercial fisheries who rear for stocking but also provide pleasure lakes where you can take a number of fish home as long as you can catch them. Kilnsey Fisheries is a case in point.

It has become a huge problem though as more and more people plunder the stocked lakes and rivers. One fishery owner was taken to court last week for putting up a notice that effectively refused admission to his coarse lakes to anyone from Eastern Europe. This was an attempt to try and protect what remained of his stock and what provided his livelihood as a pleasure fishery. I think I heard that the poaching and illegal taking of fish had set him back hundreds of thousands of pounds in mature fish in his lakes. As Nolic says it can take 30 years to replenish a pond or lake if starting from scratch by which time the owners will have been poached out of existence.
Ian
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

It is very difficult to prove theft of game or fish when legal methods are used, most charges brought are for armed trespass, illegal methods,or lack of relevant licences, many of the anglers accused of this crime have paid for the privilage to fish, the owner of the fishing facility may have forbidden the angler to remove the fish, but would find it very difficult to prove ownership of the fish. Most fishery owners know this and that the only control they have is to refuse access in the future.
I also am an angler and know that many of the fish are taken to stock other waters, as others have said fish are expensive, and large fish very expensive, these acts of theft are done by fellow anglers. By far the loss of fish is mainly by predation I have personally watched stretches of river and lakes decimated in a matter of weeks by cormorant predation, these birds have thrived after leaving the coast, and increased their numbers massively, This year when i applied for permission to cull their numbers I gained authority to shoot a handfull, this was over 60 waters and three rivers, within our club. It is not worth the effort to cull so few,so they will be left alone. Strange as it may seem the dumping of shopping trolleys into waterways has offered protection for fish from predation, this has been noted by fishery owners and man made cover is being placed in waters. This will also make it difficult to net the water. Recent flood problems and the mass release of fish from waters considered to be land locked have made the case of private self contained waters having a defence very problematic. Some fishery owners could have been prosecuted for illegal stocking if their fish could be proved to belong to them, works two ways.

Return to “Animals and Pets”