PET'S CORNER

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: PET'S CORNER

Post by Marilyn »

It's not often she lies head first in the sun. Normally she backs her big bum in against the glass...
I miss her. I haven't patted her in just over a month. She is not the most brainy dog. She would never win awards for being smart. But she is loving, and will knock you backwards for a bit of Pizza Crust ( Garfield in a dog's body)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Following a successful operation to remove a fast growing tumour from his side and after receipt of my monthly statement from the vets, I would like to announce that the dog formerly known as Big Bert (or Bertie to his friends) will in future be called Big Bill.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I know exactly what you are saying. Vets are so damn expensive! ( it puts me off future pet ownership).
We always said that our old vet put his kids thru private school and orthodontic treatment whilst treating our dog, and we noticed he could afford a big neon sign after putting her down.
Can't afford to love another pet!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:biggrin2: To be honest Maz, we were expecting it to be worse than it was. Not much change from £450 though.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It's "the price of love", isn't it?
I keep telling my son that. He has been working overtime to recoup costs of dear dog's second knee op.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, it's not his fault, after all you could have shot him! He's only a dog..... I know, I know, I would have done the same for Jack but we had the advantage that the vet didn't expect him to survive, hence no operation and a small bill.
On a very happy note..... Do any of you remember Pepe, Jack's rough haired Lurcher mate? We saw him on our late walk with his companion animal who was carrying a little bundle in a papoose carrier on her front. I was introduced to Edie, 11 weeks old and quite perfect! I have been wondering how they were, I knew of course that she was expected. So nice for Jack and Pepe, he went crackers and showed off to Jack with some high speed laps. The mother looks great and told me she went over her time by five days but it was not a 'difficult' birth, I told her I know they are never easy but she is of course over the moon. Edie is contented and sleeping through at night. All in all quite perfect and I am so glad!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tripped over this this morning..... still one of my favourite pics. Eigg and Muck at about 8 weeks old......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack is completely recovered apart from his bark which is not as clear as it used to be but just as loud! I think that's scar tissue in his windpipe. Doesn't bother him and I can live with it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Excellent :good:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Cathy...... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We seem to have gained another cat....
A while back we started to get nocturnal visits from a very friendly, hungry and vocal young black tom cat. He came in through the cat flap and demolished any food left by our cats before sweeping the kitchen surfaces for anything edible. Colin was tempted to encourage him but I refused knowing that an entire tom would soon start spraying or getting violent towards my old girls.
We sent him off wearing a paper collar giving our phone number and asking for a call from his owners (not that anyone ever owns a cat). No reply arrived but a couple of weeks later Billy Bob (a cat needs a name even if its just to tell him he must go home....) arrived wearing a fancy pink collar with a message thingy attached. "At last!" we thought, " he has a home!" but no, it was just someone else down the clough asking if he had a home. This nice lady had been feeding him and giving him a bed in her garage but having 5 cats already she couldn't take him in. A plan was hatched and on Monday morning he found himself in a cat-carrier heading for the vets to see if he was microchipped. He wasn't chipped so he was snipped and chipped to us. We shut him in the barn for a couple of nights, providing a cosy bed, food and flea treatment. He might hang around, or he might keep roaming around Harden visiting his friends but at least he wont be fathering any kittens!
Today he helped me to bag up some stable manure on the muck heap!

Billybob Faulkner

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"We seem to have gained another cat...."
And what a handsome sensible cat he is! He appears to have managed his job very well! I wish my coat shone like that......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

On a bigger scale - if you're looking for a new companion animal take a look here Tattersalls Newmarket

Be quick though - they finish today.

They're on to Book Three today, so that's the lower priced end of the market. I've not attended this year, but have in the past. It's an amazing achievement to get over 1600 highly strung thoroughbred yearlings (all foaled in Spring 2017), to the sales ring over a week - well scrubbed and polished up, with clockwork efficiency over the week of the sales.

No formalities - just drive in, park at will, and come and go into the ring as you wish. They will even give you a free catalogue book.

Edward VII is said to have quipped "All men are equal - on and below the turf"

I think he was right. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wendy, how is lovely Billy Bob doing?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He has taken over the house Cathy and is causing chaos! He chases my old girls just for fun and sabotages our attempts to get the hens back into their run at tea time by chasing them too. 🙄 I had hoped he would remain a barn cat but he had other ideas. Colin thinks he is wonderful and I can't help but like him .... a bit.
He has arrived at the wrong time because we had arranged to adopt a little 3 legged kitten from a local charity and she came yesterday. We are keeping her separate at the moment until she settles a bit but she will soon have to face up to large dogs and distressed elderly felines whose routine has been seriously disturbed already. I include myself in the last category. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Makes life interesting Wendy. Nice that Col has bonded!
Very strange here this morning (and last night) as Jack is staying at Susan's with The Girls overnight. It made no sense to bring him back here after the day out yesterday because we have an early start for Airedale. I know he will be fine so no worries but it will be nice to see him back in the nest later today......
The house is very quiet........ (You never miss the water 'til the well runs dry)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Hopefully your old girls will teach him a lesson or two and bring him into line. As for the new kitten, it will probably wrap all of them around it's little paw. :smile:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I hope so Cathy. She is quite timid at the moment but I'm sure she will son come out of her shell. I took a photo on my tablet last night.
20181018_171121.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a bright intelligent cat! It will do well......
Jack gave no problems staying at Susan's overnight and made friends with one of the cats, it slept with him. He's back in the groove now and we shall have a normal day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wendy if your new (and absolutely gorgeous) new kitten was a boy, I would call it Sylvester as it looks just like the Looney Tunes cat.
Have you named her yet... maybe Sylvie?? :extrawink:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

She came with a name Cathy, and is called Bella. We aren't that keen, but will see what transpires. There are too many B names already in the house .... Bertie, Brucie and Billybob! I like Silvie though.
She is 5 months old and was "rescued" at about 6 weeks from a dysfunctional home with another kitten who was so badly injured it had to be put to sleep and Bella's leg was broken and useless. She stayed in foster until she had recovered from the amputation and been speyed.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Maybe a name that represents how much of a strong and lucky survivor that she is. Let us know if you change her name.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Names are important with a dog because they answer to them but I don't think cats mind what you call them. They certainly take no notice and do exactly what they feel like doing!
If you don't like Bella Wendy, change it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I keep thinking of Bellatrix from Harry Potter, and Trixiebell so I think her name might morph into Trixie. She had a mad half hour last night and came downstairs into the kitchen. Bertie greeted her a little too enthusiastically and she went into hiding under the stairs. We aren't rushing her, she can join us in her own good time.

Return to “Animals and Pets”