PET'S CORNER

LizG

Re: PET'S CORNER

Post by LizG »

I'm so sorry to hear that Wendy. I still miss our Connie who died almost 2 years ago of a brain tumour aged almost 16. It's so sad to lose a family member.
Liz
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have only had him for 5 years and he has been a cantankerous old beggar with a strong will and a quick temper, but a wonderful sense of comedy. We will miss him once he's gone. (I won't miss the constant battle with his hair or the ripped throws that I have tried to protect the furniture with.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have moments like that with Jack when he is baring his fangs and snarling at me because I have made him do something that isn't on his agenda! Rough with the smooth....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wendy, how is Bertie?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, Have a look at Today I shall be Mainly.... Not good news I am afraid.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

He made the decision for us early afternoon yesterday Cathy when he couldn't get up from his bed. He made a couple of attempts then just lay there whimpering. We had been planning on getting a vet up here to do the deed but as there was only an emergency vet on call we decided to get him down to the surgery. You can tell he was ready to go because he didn't struggle when we lifted him into the car using his bed as a stretcher. It was all over very quickly though he did find the strength to bite Colin' s hand as his leg was being shaved.
There is a big hole to dig this morning, so more tears to be shed. Bruce seems a bit lost, they weren't pals but did everything together.
It's a relief really.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh Bless. Thanks Wendy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"It's a relief really."
I understand that perfectly Wendy. Try to have a better day today, you have absolutely no reason to feel guilty. Think of the better days you gave Bertie......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Tears shed on both sides of the globe - and we never met Bertie!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks folks. We don't feel guilty, he enjoyed his life with us and when the time came he wasn't in distress for long. Just sad and seeing him everywhere we look. That will fade soon though and the house is still full of animals!

This is from the day we collected him in 2013.
Bertie Col and Wend Sept 2013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It must be catching..... I've just met my friend Yvonne on the Green. She didn't have Jack's best mate Blue with her, he was a big shaggy lurcher and had the most wonderful temperament. His teeth were bad and Yvonne had taken him to the vets about a fortnight ago to have them out. They did a blood test and told her he wouldn't survive the operation and it was doubtful if he would survive Xmas so of course she had to do the deed and a 14 year partnership came to an end. Very sad.....
But Yvonne had a little stroppy terrier dog with her, a lot of Cairn terrier in it and happen a bit of Border terrier as well, 10 months old and a stray. Jack and Zack hit it off straight away, it's a good little dog and full of itself. Jack has a new friend! Yvonne was so glad they got on with each other, up to now he's been growling at other dogs but I told her that was insecurity and he'd soon get over it. If I am any judge of dogs, she's got a cracker!
So, one door closes but another can open. Lovely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

So sorry to hear about Bertie Wendy and Col. If you discount the infirmity that he learnt to cope with, not a long suffering at all. We will miss him getting in the way when we come up for the FM. :sad:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We're sorry to hear the news Wendy, especially at Christmas, but glad to know you've got other `animal friends' around you.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Update on Jack. He is definitely not happy this morning.... I managed to get him out to have a pee first thing, he never moved off the sofa all night. I ditched our normal walk, put his harness on in the kitchen and managed to get him moving without too much difficulty. All we have done is walk round the block but it was good, he has had one good bowel movement, quite firm and a good colour, if he had internal bleeding it would be almost black. Then two or three pees. He showed no interest in anything until we turned towards home when he brightened up a bit and walked back on a slack lead. He's moving OK when he gets going but I think his problem is severe aches and pains. Once back in I persuaded him to eat the rest of his sausage. Sorry if there is too much detail but all this is important. Making sure he's eating peeing and crapping normally is the start on the road to recovery. My main feelings apart from concern for Jack is anger against the animals, four legged and two legged who caused this.....
Half an hour later, he us laid down sleeping in his chair. Best medicine there is! Makes me feel a bit easier.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack doing what he normally does, lying behind me as I work on the site.... There is hope yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Hopefully Jack is just experiencing delayed reaction, trying to process what happened.
How old is Jack now? I would think a normal routine would be good, if you are both up to it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He's 11 Cathy. We are doing all the normal things but not the longer walk. I am just about to take him out again.....

He's had a few pees and walked round the Green. Now he's having a rest.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

You mentioned how the harness gave him some protection. I saw a dog being walked out in a field the other day which had a harness that covered more of its body than usual, a bit more like a vest. I wonder if those are designed to protect against attack by other dogs?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funnily enough I have been thinking about that.....
We had a hard day yesterday, Jack was in so much pain that it took all my guile to get him off his bed and out for a trot. Once he was moving he was OK but very slow but it worked, we got three short walks in and a late evening trot. He is peeing, crapping and eating as normal but only just. One accident last night, a small liquid stool on the carpet in the hall but it's cleaned up and he is forgiven. He brought his ball to me at teatime and wanted to play, he moved well. He's slightly improved this morning after a good sleep and I think he's on the mend. He has some welling on his back but he'll let me touch it, I shall slacken his harness a bit..... We might have got away with it but I'm watching him like a hawk! (He's off his bed as I write, head up and ears pricked and taking notice.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

You know what animals are like when they hurt, they normally keep themselves quite still and are good at hiding things. Maybe a vet check so the vet can have a deep feel of Jack all over.
Good to hear that he sounds like he is improving.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Cathy and you are right on all counts.
Update! Jack followed me to the door this morning as normal, I didn't use his harness I put his collar on so it didn't irritate his back. He was moving so well that I changed my mind about a short walk and we did the normal full Valley Gardens tour. He was fine all the way, no bowel movement but I think that's because he is empty, no worries. He's had his sausage and jumped straight back in his bed and is curled up normally for a sleep.
All this is good but I'll ring the vets and see if Gillian will slip him in this morning for a check up..... I am very pleased and relieved.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I suppose dogs, like humans, can have a bit of PTSD after being attacked. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Definitely Tiz, that's where the TLC is invaluable.

I took Jack to the vets yesterday afternoon for Gillian to look at the 'swelling' on his back. On the way over it burst open, it's a deep wound full of pus. He is on antibiotics and I am on nursing duties irrigating the wound with salt water and keeping the surrounding area clean with Dettol and warm water. 24X7 nursing again! He is a lot easier now it's open and I go back on Thursday for her to look at him again.
It's a lot cleaner this morning and doesn't stink any more....... As I write he is laid on the floor sound asleep and snoring.... A good sign!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh my heart jumped when I read that. Poor Jack , the germs on animals teeth and claws can do nasty damage, but it's onwards and upwards now. :smile:

(with my cat, her ulcer was inside, and she was on her way 'out', it was only thru my observations of her that the vet found the problem. She is great now.)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Looking at that Stanley, it's a good job he had his harness on which took the brunt of the attack. Glad he's on the mend.
Ian

Return to “Animals and Pets”