Sadness has returned again

Thomo

Sadness has returned again

Post by Thomo »

Many of you will remember this, posted in December 2009:-

Many of you have pets, and it is possibly fairly well known that over the past thirteen years my Wife and I have rescued a number of animals. Two were posted on this site as Cats in need of a new home. These two were taken in by "Steamtractor", another member. We took two Kittens from my late Stepdaughter Christine just over twelve years ago "Jethro and Ellie" Then came "Elmo" snatched from a life of misery in Padiham, the owners of this Kitten were told. "you must have your cat neutered, or She will keep on having Kittens which you are not prepared to give the attention they require" That Cat was taken by car to the North Yorks Moors, put out and abandoned, Later to be bragged about in a local club. Elmo's twin Brother had already been taken in by Christines Mother in Law. This cat is called "Frankie" as in Sinatra, because of his blue eyes, when his owner was dying of cancer, we took him in, that now makes four. Two more came soon after,"Evie" and "Lucy" Kittens, both rescued in Barlick on Christmas Eve ten years ago. During all of this we gave succour to visitng cats at our home and one very old Black and White "Sylvester" had is home outside in a purpose built shelter. Whatever scraps and unwanted food were always put outside for the Hedgehogs at night and one evening after dinner, my wife took some bits of steak out for Sylvester whom we thought was sat under the front of my van, but it was not he, and we never saw him again. This little chap was "Bobbie" almost identical, but much younger. He eventually moved in, a right little character. One summer night when we had got fed up with the crackheads who used to frequent Fernbank Mill carpark at night, my Wife who had tired of the abuse, fired up and went off to "Have a go" Bobbie was right there with her, it worked out at ten of them and two of us and a small cat, the enemy fled. About this time a dark shadow would appear at night looking for food, a beautiful little round Tabby whom we now call "Molly" here beside me right now. This now makes eight, finally to be joined by "Katie" the Mother of our two original cats. Katie died two years ago, just coughed quietly and went to sleep. The strange thing about this is that all of these cats apart from Elmo had been neutered, someone had cared enough to do that. So why not look after them. The sadness is that "Bobby" had to be put to sleep this afternoon after developing a masive tumour in his stomach. Of all the cats that I have known, he was the tops, a good pal. The frightening part of all this is knowing that this will happen again and again and my only wish is to be here when it does. Many older people have pets, they are always there, warm friendly and reliable. Vets fees are very high, unless you are on benefits. and I feel true sympathy for those who have a beloved pet but are afraid of the cost. Bobby is at peace now, no more pain, for my pain I have Rum. To all of you who have pets, look after them, keep them safe, and do not let them wander. Good night little Bobby.

Yesterday I had to have another one put to sleep, this time is was Frankie, the last of the boys and twin brother to Elmo. It doesn't matter how many times this has to be done, it never gets any easier. We adopted Frankie about 13 years ago when his owner became very ill with cancer, in truth he adopted me soon after and has given much love in return for his well being. Two weeks ago it was clear that he was losing weight rapidly and a trip to the vets revealed that he had kidney failure, he was given four injections and a short course of tablets, he seemed to be responding and we hoped for a little more time with him, this was not to be. Yesterday was long and miserable, today I feel as though a part of me has gone and I still have to lay him to rest next to his brother. The feelings will pass and I will get on with what I have to do, and there are still the four girls to care for, Ellie, now 15, Evie and Lucie, 13 this year, and Molly who may be about 11. I will post a pic of Frankie when I find out how to do it!
Last edited by Thomo on 10 May 2012, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Sadness has returned again

Post by Wendyf »

So sorry to hear about your loss of another much loved cat Thomo. Thinking of you.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Well I got the pic into the gallery, but how do I get it to here?
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

So sorry to hear that Thomo but it sounds like you should be proud of the life/late life you and you good wife gave them.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry to here of that Peter, like you say always a jolt when you lose friend.

I can help a little bit with the picture posting though.

View your picture in the gallery by clicking on the image name. Copy the image URL from the first box below.

Go to your post and click on the insert image icon (the one with the little mountain and sun on) in the bar above the edit box.

Paste the URL into the box and select the radio button for where you want to insert, click "insert into message" and your picture will be placed in your post.
Ian
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I'm sorry for your loss thomo. It sounds like Frankie had 13 good years with you. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Ian. that's the part that eluded me.
Like the song says, "You'll get by with a little help from your friends".
Kingsley

Post by Kingsley »

Sorry to hear of your loss Peter.
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Sorry for your loss, we have 2 cats now, one, a long time 'boarder' was officially handed over to our care a couple of weeks ago (his new girlfriend doesn't like cats and I suspect he knew about the health issue and likely vets bills), we're awaiting the results of having a growth removed from his mouth. We hope we don't have to have him put down. You get attached to them......

I remember Frankie from when I did a computer job for you a while back. He sat and watched me I seem to remember.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Aye Pluggy, that was him. His chosen spot at night was between the back of my pillow and the padded headboard, he would get in there and purr, and Frankie could purr, deep, sonorous and steady, a fine sound to send you off.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

At last it stopped raining long enough to get the awful job done. Frankie is now with his Brother and pals and will shortly have a new shrub to mark his place of rest. Its strange how the other cats react, they know that something has happened but they will settle down again soon, the senior cat Ellie has already claimed Frankie's favourite basket, the "pecking order" is maintained.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Very sorry to hear of your loss Thomo. I remember as a child being terribly upset when my hamster and gold fish died.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sorry Thomo, it's probably the only sad thing which comes along with having animals. Horses, dogs, cats, whatever, the loss is always the same, it doesn't get any easier. The good thing is feeling is as you do---it shows you cared.
Gloria
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This morning I had to make the painful journey to the Vets at Colne to spend a last 15 minutes with Lucy. She was hospitalised yesterday after a very sudden change in her well being, at 9,45 this morning has she had made no progress overnight, the awful decision was made, She has always been a Kitten, healthy, lively but small. She was one of a pair of tiny kittens we rescued on Christmas Eve 1999 from separate locations in Barlick, my wife rescued Lucy and I collected little Evie. When we got Lucy home we found that there was a problem with one of her eyes and upon inspection, we found a piece of artificial Christmas tree lodged in it, this we removed, she has only been seen by the Vet once before, when we had her checked out and speyed. It has not been a good week, Molly had to undergo dental surgery on Tuesday, and then this, and at the same time dealing with another stray. Lucy will be buried tomorrow alongside Bobby Jethro,(her old pal) Elmo and Frankie, The contents of the Rum Bottle are diminishing rapidly!

LUCY.

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Thomo, so sorry, nothing can be said.
Perhaps the stray cat may help distract the pain.
Gloria
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Sorry to hear that Thomo, once the grieving is over I am sure you will be busy with your other 'furry friends'.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Very sorry to hear this news Peter, as others have said, nothing can replace but your new visitor may help. I wonder if the sudden arrival is providence in some way?
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

To put it mildly, I feel sore, just how my Wife feels is another matter. All of our cats are "ours", but Lucy was my Wifes "Little Cat". Nor is it just us, our oldest cat Ellie has searched the entire house and garden today, Lucy treated Ellie as her Mum.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

I'm sorry for your loss thomo. You've both had a packet recently. Maybe the new cat knew what she was doing in adopting you. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Chrissyp

Post by Chrissyp »

So sorry to read this, so sad.
Thread Killer
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

First of I would like to thank you all for your kind words of support, it means a great deal. Now it is over and Lucy is with her old friends and favourite toy in the garden. What was Lucy like? Loveable yet slightly timid with strangers, very active and with fur that was soft and always clean, like silk. One thing though, her tail had a mind of its own and was almost prehensile, never still, up and down, side to side and round and around, never hanging down, a wonderful companion and animal, and sadly missed. I was staggered this morning to see the amount of hits on her picture. Thank you all.

Best wishes; Thomo.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This time it is a different kind of sadness concerning two stray cats, the full details are in my other topic "What is a cat", I will paste here a copy of what I have just put in the other topic:-

The events of last night have completely undone all of the efforts and work of the past three weeks in respect of two stray cats, I will use the names that we have given them. 1. MABEL ex MIA, she was moved to Barlick and lodged with the owners son two weeks prior to the owner moving here herself, Mabel had been found by the roadside in Ingleton seriously injured, the vet put her back together and the owner took her in.. Now in Barlick, the son who obviously does not like cats allowed her to get out and eventually she turned up here, what happened next is already in this topic and a week ago after a poster campaign she was re-united with her owner, Advice given at the time was "Do not let her out for at least two weeks" this was repeated before mabel left here. Last night at 8.30 she was back and hungry. I rang the only contact No I had and soon after the son turned up here, his attitude was not good and Mabel was clearly terrified of him, she went from the yard towards the wilderness where the garages are. She came back after he had gone and I put food for her in the o/s utility room, but at bedtime she had gone again, and we have not seen her since, she may have returned during the night as the food had gone this morning. Next there is 2, IZZY ex Gizzi we were gaining his trust and could monitor his coming and going, that has also gone. So three weeks of effort and care have been "Blown out of the water" I feel sad and worried, despondent and angry, all we can do is hope that these two lovely animals will return, neither will be going back to their former owners. Given that it is possible that these two were sharing a common habitat before they came to us for help (Izzy started coming here soon after Mabel and they have played together in the garden) we are now going to have to overcome the anger and be patient, but I am deeply concerned
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

I am a worried man now, another of our little cats has developed a problem, Evie, I have to take her to see the Vet at 4,40 this afternoon, she has lost all the strength in her back legs. We have already lost two in the last few months, Frankie and Lucy. Evie is one that I rescued 12 years ago and she is only small, but she has always been my cat. I feel drained.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

How are things progressing Thomo?
Gloria
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Gloria. Evie is making progress after the initial scare, there are still some knots of fur to cut out, but now that she is more active again, this will not be easy. There is more on the other Cat topic about progress on the stray cat scene.

Return to “Animals and Pets”