Sadness has returned again

Gloria

Re: Sadness has returned again

Post by Gloria »

I have read both topics Thomo, thankyou for updating us.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

For the sixth time in five years, today I have had to say goodbye to yet another much loved pet. Molly came to us as a stray 11 years ago, and this afternoon she was put to sleep peacefully here at home. When Molly came to us, she was not alone as another stray, Bobby came at the same time, it is just 5 years this week since Bobby also left us. Molly will be buried next to her old friend tomorrow, but first I have to clear the area as whilst the Vet was here, the Buddleia adjacent to where Bobby is buried blew down and is a total write off. Same shit, different day!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sad news Thomo. Sometimes you wonder why we put ourselves through the pain of losing our pets, but life without them would be very empty indeed.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Sorry Thomo, it's sadly all part of caring for animals.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry to hear that Peter but no doubt you will have made the right decision on behalf of Molly. Not something that she could do for herself so as Gloria says part of a caring owners duties as we know you are.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you, Wendy, Gloria and Ian. What had to be done was done, and in a manner that was dignified and at home. None of the trauma of having to take the poor animal to the Vets, and then return home. Molly was tranquilised and then fell asleep before the final act, this in itself was a blessing, and in some way removed some of the pain and stress of the alternative. The other Cats know that something has happened and are all very quiet, I just hope that I may still be here when they need me.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Very sad about dear Molly, thinking of you all.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

A cold task done, and Molly is now with her old pal Bobby. She was always a good companion but a little shy with strangers, and an absolutely first rate mouser. After she moved in with us 11 years ago she must have realized that our other cats had never seen a mouse, so she brought a live one in and let it go in the dining room! I have always been of the belief that cats are able to communicate at a level beyond our understanding, in the past 24 hours even the kittens have displayed a quiet respectful behaviour, its as if they know what has happened.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

So sorry Thomo my eyes filled with tears upon reading that - she will have had a good life with you.
Say only a little but say it well.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Thank you Moh. There were tears here yesterday as well. Molly was one of those animals that will not be forgotten at all, there was something special about her, gentle and affectionate, she had a "purr" that touched the soul and she gave us a great deal of pleasure in her time with us.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Our oldest cat Ellie died unaided at 1045 this morning. She was our first cat along with her Brother Jethro and would have been 17 in April. She had become very frail in the last month, and this morning it was clear that the end was near. The Vet was called but could not get here in time. This afternoon she will be buried next to Jethro who died 3.5 years ago. This has been a bad Winter, Molly at the end of November, then the disappearance of Izzy just before Christmas and now this. Evie is now the senior cat at 14, Marmy and Patchy are 6, Rosie who will have been with us 12 months on Thursday and is about 3/4 years old, and the Kittens who are nearly 11 months. Ellie was always the Wifes cat along with Jethro as she chose them, this has hit her hard, we sat with Ellie on our bed until the end. After being neutered and having her injections Ellie had never required Veterinary treatment since. A very sad day is not over yet and we will miss her for a long time to come.

Last edited by Thomo on 25 Feb 2014, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

RIP Ellie. She did well to reach almost 17yrs and I imagine it would have been very calming for her to die in such a familiar spot with you both there for her.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Its all over now, and Ellie is with Jethro facing the sunrise. Seven in six years and it is harder each time. We had a great deal of love from all of them in return for the love and care we gave them. The others knew that there was something wrong today and have been very quiet. We will get over this, and we know that there will always be another needing help, we will be here when that time comes.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Sorry to hear that Thomo - any more news on Izzy?
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Oh dear, sorry to hear about Ellie Thomo, 16 going on 17 not a bad age but still a wrench when it comes. Our first cat Buster made it to 18, we got her as a kitten the weekend we got married. She's underneath the pear tree in the garden now as she used to like sitting in it wishfully thinking and waiting for the birds to come to her.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many thanks all of you. Evie 14 is now the senior cat, she came to us as an under aged tiny kitten on Christmas eve 1999, and from a very bad home. She has never been a "lap cat" but today for the very first time she sat on the wife's lap for an hour, she and all of the others know that something has happened, it shows in their behaviour.

Return to “Animals and Pets”