SO, WHAT IS A CAT?

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SO, WHAT IS A CAT?

Post by Wendyf »

Glad to hear that he is back home Mick. Hope he continues to improve.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I served my apprenticeship in 'clumping' when I was in charge of two cats and a litter tray for four weeks in the States. Happy Days!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Good news Oscar/Mick, fingers crossed. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My back yard cat was absent for most of the holiday, perhaps he was sharing Xmas with the family. He's back now and has a habit of sitting on top of the gate. He won't move until you push him gently, he obviously thinks it his place! I was cooking the other day and had the window open when his head popped up on the cill. He was on his way in so I had to close the window a bit to stop him. God knows what Jack would have thought if he'd come in!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I'd call the cat Dennis (after Dennis the Menace), assuming the cat is a boy. He obviously isn't concerned about Jack, so he must be used to dogs.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He knows that Jack is safe and actually he's aggressive towards Jack! Who has enough sense to leave him alone....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

minimiller

Post by minimiller »

Well I think it's pretty safe to now say that Oscar is on the mend and getting back to normal. I have to admit that it was pretty worrying for a time.

When he first came to us we used to feed him wet food outside as he would not let us near him and entering the house was a definite no-no.
He was starving so he ate it.
When he finally entered the house he discovered the dry food which was always left out for Alvin and Tommy and tucked into it.
Now Alvin and Tommy seemed to regulate their diet pretty well, some dry, some wet where as Oscar dropped the wet altogether and just ate the dry.
That was the big mistake.
He'd eat a lot and would drink copiously which was a sign that I should have picked up on but didn't.
He started using the tray a lot, plenty of stools and urine were evident, another sign that I missed. The others only use the tray in emergencies and that was a rarity.
Oscar looked in great condition and was very active, always wanting to play.
But in hindsight he was basically stuffing himself then flushing it out with water and this eventually put a strain on his digestive system and it blocked up.

So, after 2 weeks, a lot of stubbornness on my part and a whole lot of complaining on his, he has eventually started eating the wet food again. The litter tray is virtually ignored and he's out and about again with the Alvin and Tommy and all 3 are chowing down together.

Now, I used to have cats when I was in England and I know for a fact that I never, ever fed any of them dry food. I mean, it didn't seem right.
Cats need protein, not carbohydrates. They eat meat, not biscuits as their digestive system is totally different to dogs. In the wild they naturally get enough moisture from the food they catch and eat.

But, dry is convenient, not as messy, easier to store. It's everything that the manufacturers like to sell to you. But having done quite a bit of research online the consensus seems to be that it 'aint good for them, especially if your cat is like Oscar here and can't control his diet.
It's a bit like leaving a child at home with a huge bag of potato crisps and expecting it to make itself something more healthy and then "just have a few" later.

It don't happen.

Anyroad, just my two penneth.
I'd like to hear others views on the subject, whether in agreement or not.
But I'm so glad that he is coming to and I won't let him get into that situation again.
Mick
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mick, I think you talk good sense. Both cats and dogs have digestive systems that work the same as ours and we'd never think of eating nothing but dry food. The first thing the stomach does is pulverise what we eat so that we can digest it and a big intake of dry food, if not chewed properly can't be broken down and can't be digested properly. My first rule is don't feed an animal anything you wouldn't eat yourself. Doesn't half cut down on the vet's bills!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Our family cat, originally my daughters but she lives with me (long story) had been fed dry food for her first five and a half yearrs or so because that is what her vet recommended with plenty of fresh water daily. About 18months or so ago she suddenly went bald on her tummy. The vet said it was stress from moving from a quiet household (mine) to a busy one (daughter and boyfriend and lots of friends coming and going), anyway the cat came back to me. After a few months the cats fur started growing back, but it wasn't permanent so we took her back to the vet ( a different one) who said she was perfectly healthy but that she was a naturally anxious cat ?? She had a cycle of tablets, can't remember which ones but they made her very quiet and sleepy (and upset her stomach), but I also started her on a meal a day of wet food, while still giving her biscuits as well, her tummy hair has been growing back for a while now and it's fingers crossed it will continue.

Poor little mite, I had visions her becoming completely bald and having to wear a jacket.

I was always told that cats get their moisture from wet food and that's why they don't drink very much, best to keep a bowl of water down for them at all times tho.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Good posts, thank you. A mixture of wet and dry is the best approach, we had two who had to be started on dry has both had stomach trouble due to a poor diet as kittens, ie absolute crap cheap pet food (Kit Kat or similar) dreadful stuff. We still have one, Evie, who at 13 eats only dry, she will not eat wet food, just the occasional bit of tuna fish, Our two latest arrivals eat both. All of our original cats were tray users and would come indoors to the trays even when out in the garden, this is ideal as it makes monitoring their health much easier. Mabel is at an advanced stage of rehabilitation having been in house 7 weeks, Izzy is still itinerant and whilst it is dry outside, only coming once a day to top up his tank, i am still waiting for a dusting of snow so that I can track his movements a bit.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Our farm cat has only ever had dry food and seems fine on it. He has unlimited access to water. However, having read the above I shall put him on half and half and see if there are any changes in his appearance or habits. The feeding of dry food was more as a convenience for me as I keep his food in the tack room, and dry was less messy--although there are now those meal in a pouch things.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Having seen very little of Izzy for five days, probably due to reasonable weather, today he was here at 10 am, 12.30 pm, and after leaving again with a verbal reminder that it was fish for tea at 4 this afernoon, he was back spot on time, he is now fast asleep on the bed. It is cold outside with a promise of worse to come. and whether he likes it or not he is staying in tonight.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Haven't bought Kt E Kat for years but I remember many years ago a report of a factory inspection which said their standards exceeded those for similar p-lants manufacturing for human consumption. Of course, things may have changed....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I find the pouches much easier and fresher, they also look more appetising than tinned. I just fold the packet over and seal it with a peg then pop it in the fridge. Tinned cat food stinks, it can take three days to get thru a can and sometimes it freezes up in the fridge - too much hassle and waste.
Her favourite biscuits are Purina chicken, turkey and vegetable flavour called Fancy Feast, she goes nuts for them.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My former mother-in-law died 10 days ago. She had lived alone with her male cat..who curled up beside her each night in the empty chair previously occupied by my former father-in-law ( who sadly died of Mesothelioma some seven years ago). He wasn't a particularly pretty cat, or social cat, in fact he kept very much to himself, and didn't want a lot of affection. If she had visitors, Puss would slink off and hide under the bed. Many times, my only glimpse of him was his backside disappearing under the valance.
I think my former mother-in-law always secretly hoped that someone in the family would take "Puss" on, in the event of her death, but I cannot think of a single family member willing to do such a thing, and it has apparently been decided that the cat would be handed over to the RSPCA who say they will search for another little old lady who needs such a companion.
The cat has other ideas. I have heard quite a comical story of how Puss has evaded capture by a group of people dedicated to both his well-being and the mission of seeing him happily re-homed.
I can see my former mother-in-law in my mind's eye...head back and cackling with pleasure that her 'laddy' had evaded all efforts of capture...( she would have found that so amusing).
That cat KNOWS his owner is dead...
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I think perhaps you need the services of this organisation..........( warning - keep your sense of humour switch at 'ON' )

http://www.webuyanycat.com/
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:laugh5: Excellent link Tripps, I'm off give it a try, wonder what I can get for one three legged and one half blind cat?
Our first three cats used to get el cheapo cat food all the time (except one variety which went in and came out bright pink). Kit E Kat was way beyond our price range! One was 19 when she died and the other 2 were over 20...cant have done them much harm, mind you we have always lived in the countryside and they were free to supplement their diets with tasty self-caught morsels whenever they wanted.
Ours now get a mix of Iams dried food and whatever sachets are on offer.
minimiller

Post by minimiller »

LOL Tripps

That site made me laugh.
Thanks for the link.
Mick
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

On the grand scale of bad days, this one has reached 9.5/10, but we may just have turned a corner. Our oldest cat, Ellie, who is now 15.5 years old, had a bad night. After we lost her brother, Jethro, in June 2010, she lost weight and went into a decline, but she picked up, and although she never regained her original stature, she has been the head of the pride, playful and lovable, and respected by the younger cats. I spoke in an earlier post about the effect that certain types of fish can have on a cat in the long term, and that a few weeks ago, I could see the signs of the problem that led to Jethro's end. Whether this is a repeat, I am not sure, but I have fought hard today to get her back. We were up at 6.30 this morning, and it soon became clear that she was dehydrated, she was going to the water dishes, but not drinking, at 8, I tried something that I have done before, 2 millilitres of water into the side of her mouth with a syringe, the type that is usualy attached to a needle, this was repeated at 15 minute intervals, it worked, and she is now drinking again. We are not out of the woods yet but it is a step in the right direction, my next hope is that she will eat something, even the tuna that is in a dish in the kitchen. Very noticeable was the behaviour of the other cats, very quiet and very little eaten, everything has been sterilised, there is little more I can do. I have been down this road so many times and I should be used to it, it should be easier, but it is not. The only highlight of the day has been the appearance of Izzy, he stayed Saturday night, missed Sunday Night, stayed Monday night and missed again last night, he has however been often during the day, I love that little fella. The next 24 hours are going to be worrying, the rum bottle has been hit hard, I am hurting a great deal inside, but I will not let Ellie down, or the others!! Updated at 15.20 pm. Ellie has eaten some tuna and is now asleep on the bed, next to Izzy, who came in a short while ago. Her breathing rate has slowed, and for now my hand has gone off the panic button, but the inner pain remains.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Poor Thomo - it is easy to fall in love too deeply with our animals.
Say only a little but say it well.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

it is one of the painful things to do with the responsibility of having animals---- stick in there Thomo.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I hope Ellie gets better very soon.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Many thanks for your kind messages of support. We have come through this episode with Ellie still intact but tired, without the administration of water, I believe the outcome would have been different, by bedtime last night she was in better shape than I was. It is true that loving an animal carries a hefty price, and sadly there are many pet owners who regard their animals as accessories, the two that I am working with at present were owned, but not loved, or they would not have been here. Izzy stayed out again last night, Mabel has given up to that idea, they are both at present fast asleep. Mabel on one of the settees, and Izzy on the bed. It is certain that both were "put out" at night, and this is a habit that is hard to break, with Mabel we had rapid success and she now prefers to be indoors at night, warm, safe and dry. It will not be so easy with little Izzy as he is as yet an unneutered male, the clock is ticking on that. He doesn't mind the cold much or even the wet, add a strong wind to the rain or snow, and he prefers in.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This morning I went into the Vets to buy some cat food that is the current favourite, and in there is much less money than elsewhere. One of the Vets was in the reception area and she asked how I was getting on with Mabel and Izzy, I gave her an update, and asked about the cost of neutering Izzy, this is just over £50, she gave me a list of numbers to ring for financial assistance with this, "But don't tell them that you are adopting him" she also understands the problem of getting him to them at present, but assured me that they are aware of the problem and will be flexible. I have not passed this on to Izzy!! He was here before 8 this morning and was kept in whilst we went shopping, out at the moment, but I expect him back shortly. I have been tracking the weather system and have some idea of what is coming, when he comes in, he will be staying in , whether he likes it or not.
minimiller

Post by minimiller »

Thomo

I hope Ellie continues to recover and that things go easy for you with izzy.
Does Ellie usually eat anything other than tuna?

I keep telling my boys that they don't know how lucky they are as they have the freedom to come in or stay out as best pleases them at the time.
They seem to sense the up and coming weather changes and alter their "shifts" accordingly. It's amazing how often everyone will come in and an hour later a thunderstorm will hit us.

I'm sure that it will be a little milder tonight as my wife told me that all 3 were asleep on the bed for most of the day. This means some outdoor activities tonight.
If it rains they can get shelter and sleep in the chairs on the patio. The door of our attached garage is left open until we go to bed.
Alvin will come to the window and howl if he and any of the others want to be indoors.

Cats are naturally crepuscular (derived from Latin meaning "twilight"), rather than exclusively diurnal or nocturnal so dawn and twilight are mines favorite times to be out.
Mick

Return to “Animals and Pets”