SO, WHAT IS A CAT?

Thomo

Re: SO, WHAT IS A CAT?

Post by Thomo »

All of the new arrivals are now registered with the local vets. Whilst I was in there, a young woman came in with a beautiful young cat that she had rescued last week, well done you!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Australia has a particular problem with cats , being a very non-native species they are wantonly destructive of its remaining natural wildlife. Abandonment of cats there by irresponsible 'owners' will cause significant problems ( Same really in UK but its not on the political agenda ) . When in Leeds a couple of weeks back the local in-town Co-Operative had special offer on cat food with one corner window display stacked floor to near ceiling with the purple boxes. How many flat cats are there in Central Leeds ?

We have a smaller , thinner wanderer whom chances a bit of a visits / feed too ( I think it is the shyer brother of the newly adopted one ) , but he is quite happy not to hang around.
minimiller

Post by minimiller »

I fed my 3 boys at 5-30am this morning then let them out.
My 5.45am cup of tea was interrupted by the sound of wailing.
A check outside revealed my 3 brave lads all huddled together under the chairs on the patio, whimpering and wailing.
A quick check with the torch revealed another cat, small tortoiseshell, sitting calmly at the end of the house observing the action.

I walked quietly over but it scampered through the back garden and headed off to the barn in the adjacent field.

As I walked back to the house, freezing in my dressing gown and slippers, I swear I glimpsed a sign on the roof flashing "VACANCIES"....................... :confused:
Mick
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

This may be of interest to local cat lovers, there is a veterinary practice in Skipton that only attend cats and they are fully mobile. I have spoken with them today as we have a problem with Mabel, due to her size and shape, which is in part due to the life saving sugery, she cannot reach her hind quarters for cleaning and is becoming itchy and cross. This mobile vet is coming on Friday morning with a nurse to see what can be done, if it cannot be done here they will take her to Skipton and return her in the evening, the cost being comparible with us having to take her to the local vets here, or at Colne. Type "catsonlyvet" into your search bar and you should find them.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

We are familiar with this one "Houston, we have a problem" Well this may not be Houston and I have been there, this is Barlick and I believe we may have a problem.The little cat that we took in six days ago, "Rosie" may be pregnant, she is exhibiting all of the signs, we will know on Friday when the vet calls to see Mabel, on top of this, Izzy may be the Father as they have been seen together. If I am right then it is not truly a problem, as I have dealt with a situation like this before, but we could have done without it, again if I am right, we will probably keep 1 kitten, but We are going to need help in finding good homes for the remainder. We should know on Friday. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

So far as I know our acquired female was neutered at some time before she made her way into our residence ( she has been out many times and generally has a strong dislike of males and in 5 years not produced anything ). Despite the male being a rather fine specimen of a placid , people person cat , who could have had friendly offspring we took the view to get him attended to as we did not want to be responsible for yet more unwanted cats in the area, I understand the best time for this is around 9 months of age , of course at 8.5months the early maturerers can get a bit adventurous. Sorry that we haven't space for anymore , ( I don't think they would be overtolerated anyway ).
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Things went a bit awry here this morning in "Cat World" The mobile vet was due at 0900 to deal with Mabels problem, then see Rosie to confirm the pregnancy issue, and then Izzy to determine whether or not he is neutered. At 0830 we are all ready, poor Mabel is in her room without food and protestesting mightily and Izzy wants to go out. The phone rings and it is the vet, they have a string of emergencies and it would help if she could re schedule for Monday morning, ours are not life threatening problems so of course she can. Little Rosie who has now been here 8 days is settling down and getting aquainted with the others and she is truly a lovely little cat, we face all manner of problems in time with the birth of kittens, and all that goes with it, but we are glad she is here and not in some sanctuary where she would have become a statistic.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Our new Vet was here this morning and brought a nurse with her. Mabels problem fur has been removed despite much protest, and she has been treated for any residual skin trouble. Rosie is confirmed as being pregnant, and should we require it, the nurse will deal with the kittens by way of neutering and vaccination etc, and re homing, she is a member of the Craven RSPCA. It was also confirmed that Izzy is indeed neutered. I am impressed, not only with the Vet, but the cost £37.50 all in, and this includes worming treatment for Rosie. 10% off for multiple cats, and a further 10% for OAP status, no wonder they are busy.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Having already tried to breathe new life into two of my other topics, I am now going for the hat trick and replacing this topic with "Welcome to Cat World" over and out.

Return to “Animals and Pets”