WEST CRAVEN HIGH TECHNOLOGY COLLEGE

Thomo

WEST CRAVEN HIGH TECHNOLOGY COLLEGE

Post by Thomo »

It used to be Barnoldswick Secondary Modern School, at least it was when I went there, many years ago. I made a quick visit to the 70 years event there yesterday afternoon, some of the changes were things I had not seen before, the addition of the extra space being the major one. It still smells much the same apart from what used to be the assembly hall, this now appears to be a cafeteria area and the smell of vomit and sawdust has gone. Moving on from there to the newer assembly hall where there were old photographs to look at and a visitors book to sign, in the column headed what years, I put 1951-1955, that was my main secondary education, but I also attended an evening technical entrance course from 1953-1955, this was on the advice of the RAF as I wanted to be a pilot. Three evenings a week, two hours each, Maths, English and Technical Drawing , after this I was allowed to use the Woodwork Room in the evening for 12 months to complete a project (bookcase and cupboards). After looking at the photo's and listening to the Band I was asked by a student if I would like a guided tour, not really, "I was walking round in here before your parents were born" possibly even her Grandparents! I didn't visit the 2nd floor which was built under the watchful eye of my Brother in Law.
But the older part brought back many memories, and as I passed each room I could remember the names of the teachers who occupied them. Ground Floor first, Front of building, Mr Hartley the Headmaster, (the only who came by car then) and Mr Green (Old pea) deputy Head. South facing wing, Peggy Holden, English, Miss Ruby Barrett, religious instuction, and Mr Metcalfe French Teacher. Back long corridor, South to North, Alice Haythornthwaite, cookery, Miss Tomlinson, Domestic Science, Miss burn Burns, Girls PE, Mr Dobson, Boys PE, Mr Derek Thomas, Woodwork, Mr Albert Hall, Metalwork. North Wing, another Miss Tomlinson, Biology, Mr Donald Green, Science. First floor, front of building, Mr Neville Green, music teacher and Library attendant. South Wing, Mr Rennie Nutter, Maths and Horticulture, Miss Hartley History, Miss Carradice, Geography. North Wing, Mr Hammant, Art and Violin Tutor and Miss Hall Needlework. A total of 17 full time teachers.
The standard of pupils entering the school in 1951 was so high that there was insufficient room for them in Class 1A, and a second class, 1 Alpha was formed, some of these pupils came from the Malham and Gargrave area's, as the numbers dwindled class 1 Alpha ceased to be and Miss Peggy Holden became our form Mistress.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Callunna

Re: WEST CRAVEN HIGH TECHNOLOGY COLLEGE

Post by Callunna »

My mum was one of the first pupils to attend. At the recent exhibition to mark their 70th anniversary, they displayed some of her reports and schoolwork.

She’s proud of the fact that she requested that girls should be allowed to do metalwork and woodwork while boys should get the chance to do cookery and domestic science. This pioneering request was granted - quite unusual for those days !
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice pic of Edith in last week's BET.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

That last post seems apropos of not a lot?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've just deleted it David, and banned "Ralph", who was advertising online "high school diplomas" from Pakistan.
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Wonderful!

Good job there's human intervention... unless of course, wendyf, you're a bot...?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't worry David, she is a wonderful human being with her heart in the right place. (Also a handy person to have around if you're replacing windows....)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

If anyone hasn't their heart in the right place, I know a good surgeon that could sort it out maybe!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

My Dad went to this school, I never experienced it. I can not believe that the same building has lasted so long, it always looks dilapidated and it is the first thing that you see as you come into the town.

Probably needs a big hedge to hide behind
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

For some reason 'West Craven' and "High Technology College' are not phrases I expected to ever see together. :grin:

Return to “Nostalgia”