Nostalgia

Wrinklie

Nostalgia

Post by Wrinklie »

I have just used the map of Barlick to zoom in on 1 York Street where Nurse Barlow delivered me into this world...Having been exiled in Leicestershire since 1963 it brought back a lot of my childhood and teen age memories..
Image[/img]
catgate
Regular User

Re: Nostalgia

Post by catgate »

Nostalgia is not like it used to be.....no where near.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

I love nostalgia as long as its "happy nostalgia" Good memories of people and places from the past. :grin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Welcome Wrinkly. Edie Barlow had a monkey Puzzle tree in her little front garden on Chapel Street. I was sorry when it was taken out. Edie was famous for putting down officious fools by saying that she smacked their bottoms when they were born and was quite capable of doing it still! Formidable woman!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wrinklie

Post by Wrinklie »

Hi Stanley

I remember that tree very well. I think I'd be right in saying t'was the only one in Barlick
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

There must have been a lot of them in the UK at one time as they, (Araucaria) are the origin of the mineral Jet, which is found extensively although not exclusively in the UK. I would imagine it would have been in the period when we were a lot nearer the equator than we are now.

Nurse Barlow brought me into the world also, apparently with the words "goodness me it's a rabbit" owing to my rather furry ears that I emerged with, (not apparent now). Monkey puzzle a curiosity as a funny tree to behold on the walk up to Grandmas house when I was a little lad.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The midwife who succeeded Edie (Was it Nurse Hunt?) took offence one night in 1962 as we were sat in the kitchen waiting for Vera to fall to pieces when I referred to her as the 'rabbit catcher'. Much boiling of water and burning parcels on the incinerator in the orchard. Those were the days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wrinklie

Post by Wrinklie »

Afraid my rememberer ain't as good as it used to was. :grin: I've been wracking the old brainbox to recall the name of the barbers I had my hair trimmed at. It was on Albert road either next to the old post office or next door but one..Can anybody refresh my forgetter please
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Could have bee Sneaths, does that ring any bells.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yup, it was Sneath's....
Wrinklie, it may be just me but I'm sorry to say I find that animated signature very distracting as I read the page.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wrinklie

Post by Wrinklie »

Stanley wrote:Yup, it was Sneath's....
Wrinklie, it may be just me but I'm sorry to say I find that animated signature very distracting as I read the page.
My thanks to both Ian and Stanley for refreshing my memory..My previous sig was a bit "in your face", sorry, hope this new one is OK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Wrinkles, far less distracting. I think Sneaths took over the old PO as a barber's shop when the new PO was built. I can't find my pic of the coat of arms on the front but was that 1954?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wrinklie

Post by Wrinklie »

Stanley wrote:Thanks for that Wrinkles, far less distracting. I think Sneaths took over the old PO as a barber's shop when the new PO was built. I can't find my pic of the coat of arms on the front but was that 1954?
Although I couldn't remember the name, Sneath's barbers was there at the same time as the old post office.
Or did you mean that the shop was extended to incorporate the old post office?

That photograph of me as a paper boy was taken by a photographer who had a studio quite close to Sneaths. Can I remebber the photographers name. A name comes to mind Podmore, but I think that was another photographer.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Could be. It is a double fronted shop.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

barlickrog

Post by barlickrog »

Re Sneaths barbers and old P/O
Robert Sneath and myself hung around with each other when we were kids and teenagers, i remember the when his dad bought the old Post office. It would be the early 60s 61/62, we used to get under the feet of the guys doing the renovations, Roberts mother sold leather goods at the time. One of the guys doing the renovations was Johnny Lambert (could be Ians dad) he asked us to give him our names then wrote them on a couple of tiles along with the date, then placed them up and said when this comes down the date will tell people how old this renovation is. The old Post Office as great place to explore massive cellars rooms off rooms. i think the Sneaths may have rented some space prior to buying it as i remember they used to store cigarettes there, and when everything was finished upstairs and down they had a bedroom with its own bathroom now that was posh in the early 60s. and yes it was a double fronted shop .Can anyone confirm when the new Post Office buildings opened.

Barlick Rog
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've got a pic somewhere of the coat of arms and the date on the front of the new PO but i can't find it! I think it was 1954 but could be wrong. I remember when they built it there was a bronze strip inset in the paving stones at the front and the legend "The Postmaster General has not dedicate this as a public right of way" or something similar. If I remember rightly Sneath's were also umbrella central. If you wanted a brolly, that was where you went. Was their original shop the one next to the travel agent in Park Road opposite the health centre? It was certainly a barber's and I bought a cut throat razor and strop off him in about 1959.
Not the pic I was looking for but I dragged this out of another picture. The date was 1958!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

I am not against the celebration of Queen Elizabeth II diamond jubilee but why the 5th June 2012. She came to the throne on 6th February 1952 after the death of her father and was crowned on 2nd June 1953?

The bank holiday has been disrupted and changed from Whit Monday to Spring Bank holiday which this year is 4th June, how come our Christian religious days are treated inconsiquencial but all other religions are adhered too. :dontgetit: Eileen
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I pondered the very same question Eileen. Google took me to the The official website of the Queens Diamond Jubilee site which has a link to FAQ about the whys and wherefores of the dates. Check out the link below:

The Queens Diamond Jubilee - FAQ
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cos it fits in with the weekend, Bank Holiday and Derby Day....

Just for the record....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

All neatley applied to a building that now houses a bookies.

Somehow appropriate for the likes of Royal Ascot ( didnt she get a winner this year ? )
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The old cartoon character "CHAD". The various "Wot No.." bits of graffiti appeared all over the place. I must admit to being rather good at them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a blast from the past P! I remember Chad well, he popped up all over the place. If I remember rightly he was a contemporary of the Squanderbug.

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thinking back to the old steam radio days. One of the old songs that came up pretty regularly was 'Brother can you spare a Dime' . My problem is that I can't remember whether it was Bing Crosby or Al Jolson who sang it. I know it was virtually banned from American radio but played in the UK. (that's politics for you) Can any of you grey tops help?

From Wiki...It was considered by Republicans to be anti-capitalist propaganda, and almost dropped from the show; attempts were made to ban it from the radio.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Both of them sang it Plaques, probably Al Jolson before Bing. Been done by lots of other blues artist over the years, one of the best songs from the American depression era. Not surprised that some factions attempted to have it banned, some politicians don't like the truth!
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lots of good songs and good singers from the Depression Era. 'Nobody loves you if you're down and out' was another and one of the best versions was Alberta Hunter's (LINK). I knew her in NY in the 1980s and often heard her sing. A good woman who knew about poverty....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”