Nostalgia

plaques
Donor

Re: Nostalgia

Post by plaques »

Tizer's post on 'Cotton Mills' Brings to mind a snippet on TV about ladies football teams. Dick, Kerr Ladies team from the 1917's became more popular and had a bigger following than the men's teams of that time Link. they probably played better football as well. Unfortunately the Football League stepped in and suspended their matches. Too rough a game for their delicate frame?? More likely a threat to their monopoly on their cash cow. Link 2. Fortunately for real football fans the women's teams have been reintroduced. I've heard it said that people prefer to see women play a honest game of football rather than watch the men's diving Divas that you get in professional football.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps the new Dr Who should start her own football team? :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think the same thing applies to tennis.... I would far rather watch two ladies playing tennis (despite the grunting) than two blokes who see the game as an expression of Male aggression. The rallies are far better!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

A bit of Rolls Royce Nostalgia. A short 3 minute news clip of when RR got the order to build the RB211. Shows views round Barlick and the entrance gate of RR but not inside the factory. RB211 clip. I wouldn't think that anybody in the interviews would still be living but someone may know them
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very well made report, never seen it before. One thing that could confuse, Rolls had their sign on the outside of Brown and Pickles shop and gave the impression that they were in there. They were in the main block of the mill and the access when I delivered their milk was down the alley between the old laundry and B&P.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

For those willing to spend a bit of time looking at old Lancashire pictures. The Lancashire libraries link. 'Red Rose Collections' have been quietly up-dating their archives during the pandemic. Link. You have to join up to the site and clearance takes about 1-2 days. You must log in prior too use, and I find the search system very awkward to use. Without specifying some criteria you can finish up with 'no result' or anywhere in Lancashire.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a look Ken and navigated to this image and downloaded it without any permissions. You're right, not the easiest selection I have ever come across.
PS I watched the Rolls clip from News at Ten again and it's still good. Those were the days!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”