HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

plaques
Donor

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by plaques »

When trying to protect doggy knees you have to decide which knee is the doggiest then hold the stick in the opposite hand. On the Orthopedic clinic Mrs P used to say there were lots of people who held their stick in the wrong hand. Who would have thought that using a walking stick was so complicated. :biggrin2:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

My walking stick is adjustable Stanley, have you got a wrist-loop on yours? It’s so easy to forget it at counters etc, or if you drop it you might have to ask someone to pick it up for you.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't understand that Ken. If that's right I am using it the wrong way.
Wrist loop. Don't need one Cathy I have no problem bending. This isn't a back problem it's a worn out knee.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 08:34 I don't understand that Ken. If that's right I am using it the wrong way.
Probably. If its your right knee you hold the stick in your left hand. The mechanics are that when lifting your right leg you lean to the left with the stick helping you to retain your balance. Having now planted you right foot firmly in place your body weight is transferred to that leg. This series of movements is repeated until you reach your destination. eg Co-op :laugh5:
Another tip... don't put your stick under your arm when entering a shop. Turning round in a confined space is a fantastic way of clearing shelves. :biggrin2:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 08:52 Another tip... don't put your stick under your arm when entering a shop. Turning round in a confined space is a fantastic way of clearing shelves. :biggrin2:
And making enemies!
Stanley, Cathy's suggestion of a wrist loop is very sensible, it really is very easy to leave something behind if you put the stick down somewhere. And shoving it under your arm leads to the problem mentioned by Plaques. Men with a stick under their arm in the supermarket queue are a common danger.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

And walking poles are another step up and once mastered help you to keep proper upright framing, (they have wrist loops as well). Framing according to my fabulous neuro physio is the basis of everything. If you are not straight and properly framed something else is having to compensate or taking a hammering. I had to learn it all again when my brain trauma said my right leg didn't work. Having working toes on both feet is a bonus. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

All this talk of pain depresses me. :smile:

Speaking of frame reminds me of the admonishment 'frame thisen lad'

Mentioned here Yorkshire sayingsbut I don't think it's excluselively a Yorkshire thing.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 10:13 And walking poles are another step up and once mastered help you to keep proper upright framing, (they have wrist loops as well). Framing according to my fabulous neuro physio is the basis of everything. If you are not straight and properly framed something else is having to compensate or taking a hammering. I had to learn it all again when my brain trauma said my right leg didn't work. Having working toes on both feet is a bonus. :extrawink:
We both have Nordic Walking Poles, we use them for uphill 'off road' walking. Researching the benefits it says they can take 25% of the load off your knees. Mine are carbon fibre and are adjustable from around 18ins to 4ft, the shortest length allows them to fit nicely in the provided bag with a shoulder strap (useful when you're not walking up or down hill). Paulette has an aluminium pair, basically the same benefits but less flexibility than the carbon fibre. There was a 'craze' a few years ago with Nordic Walking clubs in parks, they do have the benefit of working the upper body when walking on flat ground as well as hills.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Re Yorkshire Sayings...
I noticed the word Berk, used to call someone an idiot.
Over here we say “You great Burke!” to call someone an idiot. :laugh5:

I’m off to bed
19DC1FD8-5986-4A9C-8553-12F688C56119.png
Press on pic. Damn doesn’t work 🤔
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Cathy wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 13:36 Re Yorkshire Sayings...
Cockney rhyming slang.

I'm keeping quiet. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 17:49
Cathy wrote: 27 Mar 2021, 13:36 Re Yorkshire Sayings...
Cockney rhyming slang.

I'm keeping quiet. :biggrin2:
I didn't want to mention it :biggrin2: I think the original meaning, from the 1930s, has mellowed a bit now...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, Berk is as the lads say, rhyming slang. Berk is short for Berkley Hunt. Work it out for yourself.
"Having now planted you right foot firmly in place your body weight is transferred to that leg. "
That's why the opposite hand doesn't work for me Ken. The right knee is worn out and weight on it, particularly when going down steps, off a kerb or standing still causes pain. That's what I use the stick for, reducing that weight, so it has to be in the same hand as the knee. In my case, the right.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I used to hang the handle of my walking stick in the neckline of my Tshirt or top, if I was at a counter paying for something etc and needed both hands. It became automatic to just hang on my neckline and it would hang straight down my front. Not in anyone’s way there and I couldn’t leave it behind.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 02:52 Cathy, Berk is as the lads say, rhyming slang. Berk is short for Berkley Hunt. Work it out for yourself.
I didnt know that, it was a term we used to use a lot as youngsters to call someone stupid. And I worked for the Master of the Berkeley Hunt!
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Stanley wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 02:52 "Having now planted you right foot firmly in place your body weight is transferred to that leg. "
That's why the opposite hand doesn't work for me Ken. The right knee is worn out and weight on it, particularly when going down steps, off a kerb or standing still causes pain. That's what I use the stick for, reducing that weight, so it has to be in the same hand as the knee. In my case, the right.
From what you describe you need two sticks or you are going to damage that right shoulder by transferring your body weight on to the stick up through your arm to your shoulder . This what I was trying to explain yesterday Stanley
If you keep searching you will find it
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 28 Mar 2021, 02:52 "Having now planted you right foot firmly in place your body weight is transferred to that leg. "
I can see the benefit of using the stick in the same hand for coming down the steps but, as Sue says, perhaps you need two. It should be used in the opposite hand for 'normal' walking as it shares the weight put onto the 'injured' leg (I remember this from many moons ago). Normal walking, and arm movement, has the opposite leg and arm moving in the same direction (left leg forward, right arm forward) so the stick would be on the ground at the same time as the injured leg. With the stick on the same side you'd be 'swinging' your arm (and the stick) in the same direction and could become unbalanced and effectively injure somewhere else (potentially your back). I saw Ian had mentioned 'framing' on another thread, it's all to do with correct body alignment and posture.
I used a neoprene brace on my knee, before the op to replace the damaged cartilage, that helped a lot.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I tried my stick in both hands, knowing the advice, but found I really ( really) needed the stick on the side affected by Sciatica. I hate to be controversial but that is what helped me. I think it depends what the problems are. I still go upstairs with good leg first. I come down bad leg first. It reduces pain for me. ( I am still a bit slow on the stairs, but as I have mentioned, I can hike all day and ride my bike for 30+ kilometres. )
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Bloody hell Stanley you're an awkward bugger. Steps are a special case and there should be hand rails. Which leg you lead with on the up / down is your choice. For normal straight ahead walking the opposite hand is used. I know at first it seems counter intuitive but think about it both the bad leg and the stick will be on the ground when you lift the good one but the weight will be more central rather than over to one side as with the same side model.
Kev is right so just take notice.
I rest my case.

Marilyn's usage of sticks for bad backs is different again. The pain is not in the leg but generated from the back. The mechanism for loading the back will probably be different to that of loading a leg. Horses for courses. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Bloody hell Stanley you're an awkward bugger."
Part of my essential charm.... I do not need two sticks and will watch out for my shoulder. You could say the same thing about me having to move the bed manually on the milling machine in the shed. That used to be bad for my shoulder but it seems to have developed the right muscles.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Recently, hubby and I were in a 5 storey car park. He couldn’t be bothered waiting fo the lift...proceeded to the stairwell... I just looked at him and said “Really... 5 floors...I can do it but are you prepared for me to do it at my own pace?!”
Anyway...we did...and I made it back UP the same stairwell on the way back as well.
Sometimes you just have to suck it up and DO it. :laugh5:

I love the way he challenges me sometimes....
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( given that my hubby is 10 years older than me and has had a triple heart bypass ( plus other health issues)...he is a very inspirational mentor :laugh5: ) I dare not refuse his challenges.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh dear Stanley... I’m just wondering that if 2 sticks come into play, how will you pull your shopping buggy?
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am sure he can afford a mobility cart, Cazza! :good:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

When I had my second hip replaced, a very nice Czech lady speaking of which leg to lead on (with crutches) said "remember - on stairs the bad side goes down to the devil and the good side goes up to heaven".
So I did.
Used it to pass the going home test -then forgot it until today as I have no stairs at home. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I already do that. :biggrin2:
As for two sticks and mobility carts, "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof...."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”