HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Tizer »

Keep your head warm when outdoors in winter. It's important. Look after it! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

People don't wear enough at's nowadays. The world has moved on and premises no longer cater for proper at's. :biggrin2:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The fashion among men is a bald head. Something that crumblies have a head start on. What the crumblies do today the world does tomorrow.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 11 Nov 2019, 09:44 Something that crumblies have a head start on.
Speak for yourself. :smile: I'm well thatched - in fact my barber Tony called his daughter (who is being trained) over, to get a brief tutorial on the use of the thinning scissors on thick hair, last time I was there. Very pleasing.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Actually I went to the hairdressers last thursday for my Christmas hair cut. She was so fascinated by its strength and silky texture that she couldn't leave it alone. Lifting it between her fingers and taking the most delicate of snips that I thought I was going to be there all day. Then came the thinning scissors accompanied with tiny pats and comb lifts. Even after all this attention out came the smallest electric sheers I've ever seen that buzzed quietly round my ears and the back of my neck. Obvious pleased with her work of art she flourished the mirror round my head with the skill of a professional matador that was being applauded by the crowd. Acknowledging that this was the curtain call, I shook the remnants of the silver threads off the cover sheet, rose, paid my £4 and joined the fashionable young men with their bald heads heading towards Wetherspoons.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Spooky time again. :smile:

Called in at Morrisons on my way home tonight, to find a new barber's shop in a specially designed brightly lit portakabin type building in the car park near the entrance. Two Turkish looking gents having a smoke outside. No customers.

They'd closed by the time I came out so I had a look at the 'menu'. A haircut is £14 a go and with a shave and hot towels just £28. There's a concession for pensioners at only £10.50, but not available on Saturday or Sunday.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Take care! There have been reports of scorched ears in Colne...... :inquisitive:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy. the slow down starts earlier than people think. No problem, just don't fight it.
I agree totally about hats, I always wear one and ring the changes, everything from a battered Christie's fur felt trilby to Kromer welding caps. At the moment the favourite is a Thinsulate beanie.
Apart from a bit of pillow rash on the back of my head I still grow a good head of hair but cut it short as I like it that way. Time I did it again. It will not cost me anything, I do my own!
I'm not surprised the Portakabin barbers had no trade at those prices David...
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I suppose they'd call themselves a `pop up' barber's shop.

Did you see on Have I Got News For You where they said there was a new series of `Peaky Blinders' and showed a head-on frightening photo of Farage in his flat cap? :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes. Peaky Blinders is giving the flat cap a bad name. It ought not to be allowed! (Thank you Mr Growser)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A question, did anyone recognise the Mr Growser allusion? Or am I just getting incredibly old.
It's the time of year to ask the question, do I need a thicker vest? That's today's tip. (I think so, Damart has been deployed but perversely I have decided it's time for a haircut, the thatch is getting untidy!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well...can I borrow your standard vests then, Stanley? (Please?)
Our trip thus far to Tasmania has been constant rain...hail...snow...and winds that can knock you off your feet. Don't think the windscreen wipers have had more than a few hours off. Two words...bleeding miserable!
Lucky we are warm and dry and happy in our van. Trips to the loo require coats and umbrellas - and we "hang on" until a break in the wind. Sight seeing almost impossible!
I am a bit fed up actually....but at least the TV works, I brought my knitting, AND (ha!) there are a couple of bottles of wine under the bed for when the nights get really miserable. We had -4C the other night and woke up to a very frosty morning. I could not believe it when some poor creature emerged from the back seat of their car...poor buggar...must have nearly frozen to death. I was going to offer him a cup of tea but he left before I could ( he left without paying actually...)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's colder than us Maz. If you were here I could fit you up! I've lent the kids Damart and John Ls often when they got caught out by the weather. The only thing I can suggest is stay out of it, pray for a change and use multiple layers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well we thought it was a perfect time for a holiday ( one has to book the ferry crossing months in advance). After all, our Summer starts Dec1....we thought we would beat the heat by a few weeks. But it has been Winter Misery...
( the fuse blew to our dashboard de-mister fan today...bad time for it as we were high in the mountains, raining and freezing. We were praying the fuse for the windscreen wipers wouldn't blow, or we would be in a pickle. Narrow mountain passes with absolutely no place to park on the sides of the road...)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Sent Cazza this message earlier...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It doesn't sound much like a holiday Maz! I hope things improve for you, no doubt the weather will change as you are heading home...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Better weather tonight...may even get undressed before bed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Keep the bedsocks on! (and a beanie.)
Today's tip. When you have cooked a stew don't be frightened of adding vegetables afterwards that could be eaten uncooked like chopped onions, gherkins, shredded carrots or similar. They add crunch to the stew and are perfectly safe.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If the elastic gets slack on your knickers consider seriously demoting them to wipers in the workshop instead of investing in new elastic especially if the waistband is all elastic. Nothing more annoying than sagging knickers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

‘Investing in new elastic’ ... made me laugh, I don’t think anyone does that any more Stanley, even old f**rt’s. Treat yourselves :laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The spooky coincidences on here are getting ridiculous. Less than half an hour has passed since I consigned a pair of Y fronts to the bin due to slack elastic. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The power of OG!
I tend to agree Cathy. At one time I would have taken steps and remedied the situation. Yesterday they went in the shed for an oil rag.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'll add to the spookiness. It's only a few days since I got a couple of packs of new underpants and I'm throwing the worst of the old ones out as I encounter them. The purchase preceded Stanley's knicker post so I wasn't prompted by that. (The OG Reply box has underlined `knicker' in red and offers to change it to knickers, knacker, knocker, kicker, snickers!) :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Now....tell me honestly Tizzy. Do you throw them out clean? Or do you get another days wear out of them and throw them away worn?
( I only throw clean knickers out. Hubby is not that fussy. He will get another day out of them first. Men are like that I find.)
My hubby has a 2 drawer Underpant "System". I put clean ones in a bottom drawer. They build up. Once his other drawer of underpants gets empty...he moves the ones from the bottom drawer to the top. :laugh5: makes no sense to me, but I do as instructed, and he says that this way they all get an even wear.
Last edited by Marilyn on 17 Nov 2019, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Nostalgia”