HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Tizer »

I've been doing a few jobs in our new house that the previous owner seems to have ignored even though they were irritating. Screws loose in door handles, narrow gaps between fitted kitchen cupboards and the wall needing caulking, cupboard doors not closing properly etc. It's surprising what some folk will live with!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They evidently didn't read Mr Pirsig's masterpiece, 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'. It ought to be required reading in schools!!
My modification of the support system for the sheepskin on my rocking chair is a complete success....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm often taken to task for smoking my pipe. Tough! I know it's an addiction but I appear to be tolerant to the effects, enjoy it and am a better man with my pipe than without. It struck me this morning as I came across what I am convinced was drug-use in Valley Gardens at 05:45 that there are degrees of addiction and some can be beneficial. I thank God that I am not into whatever those two were doing and my tip is that if you suspect that you might be addicted to something, whether it's compulsive attention to detail, cleaning house, keeping a dog or even nicotine, take a clear view of it and decide whether it is harming you. If the answer is no, don't worry about it, just carry on regardless!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There are a number of people in town who openly smoke a 'joint', there's no one here to stop them. I would imagine there are much stronger things being taken but a little more covertly. It'll take a death for anyone to do anything about it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You could be right Kev. I can't remember when I last saw a police person on foot.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking about Tiz and his succession of small tasks to rectify omissions in maintenance in their new home. Living in a house carries with it the downside that you have to keep on top of all the small tasks like paying bills, maintaining services and putting right occasional flaws. Whilst this is a pain in the bum at times and expense always arrives just when you could do without it, there is a certain satisfaction in keeping abreast of the demands. There is a lot of truth in the old saying; "A stitch in time saves nine". My tip today is don't put the tasks off, they don't go away but only become more pressing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Another of those small tasks for attention concerns the door from the hallway to the kitchen. The handle on the kitchen side works but that on the hall side doesn't move the catch. I opened it up and the rod is too short - it's through the kitchen side and the centre but doesn't extend into the outer handle! It looks like someone cut it shorter. Now why would they do that? :confused:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cook ensuring no interruptions while baking soufflés?
You've reminded me that my kitchen door knob is loose! I shall do something about it ASAP!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you have a dog and a shed don't waste time worrying about hairs and milling chips on the carpet. Just get on with keeping up with removing them as they appear. The only way to avoid them is shoot the dog and give up the shed.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My Uncle Tom was a choral singer all his life and was always humming tunes under his breath. I remember it drove my Aunty Mary mad! I have developed a similar tic, a silent whistle of whatever tune is in my head, usually one of the old Methodist hymns. It can be a nuisance if you are dealing with fine powder like pepper! So today's tip is have a check now and then and see if you are developing any mannerisms! You may be driving someone potty.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My current engine is sat on the worktop in the kitchen to free up space in the shed. I was looking at it this morning and deriving a lot of pleasure from the fact that I like it, it looks just right. I'm sure that there are occasions when you look on something you have done and find it good. My message this morning is that this is allowed. Never lose an opportunity for a bit of quiet satisfaction, it is very good for you as long as you don't take it to excess!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know you all know this but it's worth repeating. I always turn the handles of pans on the hob inwards so they don't project over the edge. I think this dates back to when we had kids in the house and we were aware that they could pull on them and scald themselves. I still do it and it's not a bad habit to cultivate!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I put my own dictum about action being the cure for worry into effect yesterday. I was nattered by the fact I was going to be held up in my engine build by the fact that my flywheel needed painting so I broke a rule, I did some overtime in the afternoon after my sleep and painted it. I feel much happier now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ignore the rain, put on appropriate clothing and get out there!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't know about you lot but when I reach the end of a project which has been occupying my mind for months I tend to get a bit depressed, I have always said that it's a mild form of post natal depression. My cure for it is that in the final days of finishing a job I start thinking about what comes next. I have a couple of projects in my head which will fend off the Black Dog! (I am very near a completed engine.....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The engine runs well and no signs as yet of PND.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As you know, I am a man of regular habits, some better than others! One of them which I think is a good thing is that first thing every morning after my slug of cod liver oil I drink half a pint of cold water. I have no definite proof but I believe that drinking plenty of water is essential to health. It just seems to make sense.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 05:17 I have no definite proof but I believe that drinking plenty of water is essential to health. It just seems to make sense.
I agree with you but replace water with "fluids" and then we can include the amber nectar, but that wouldn't be my choice first thing in a morning.
I've seen many foreigners come to live in the tropics and develop gout. I put it down to not drinking enough fluids in this hot climate. What supports my notion is that it is so hot and sweaty that one's urine can become concentrated and look like morning urine even in the daytime. Like you say: it just seems to make sense. So I drink plenty of fluids, water, coffee, juices, and sometimes beer, and so far I've not suffered from gout. With beer priced at just 40 pence a pint, it's worth keeping a few bottles of this anti-gout medicine in the fridge, or that's what I tell My Dear.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're lucky in Barlick China, the water is lovely. Why anyone buys bottled water here beats me. You can buy milk cheaper! Why don't they buy a water bottle and fill it at the tap? Is this too 'inconvenient'? It's the same with fast food, I reckon its popularity owes more to laziness and lack of foresight than anything else. Like you I drink a lot, apart from the water, I always have a pint of tea on the go. I have this little trick of having a small glass of water when I feel like a pee and this makes sure my water is almost never strong coloured. I find if I let it get like that my eyes and balance aren't so good. Chacun a son gout but I will keep drinking!

Here's the line-up for this morning's cooking on free leccy. I practice what I preach. The mutton is a case in point, rolled breast sitting on two sections of rib. Most people would reject them as too fatty or not worth cooking but they'll be lovely when I have finished with them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Be very careful when handling hot heavy pans in the kitchen. I let my attention slip yesterday and paid for it! The heavy cast iron casserole I dropped has very small highly enamelled handles and I lost my grip. The score was one broken Pyrex bowl, a big mess and a cut finger!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Remember that if you do break something made of glass that minute shards are scattered all over the place. A good vacuuming is the cure. I was thinking mainly of Jack and his pads......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Today I used one of your tips. I used insulation tape on a masonry drill bit to mark the depth. Worked well, much better than my usual guesswork.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one China! I'm glad it helped. Another goody when drilling holes that need to be at 90 degrees to the wall.... Get hold of a small piston ring or other narrow circular circular object and slip it over the drill before you start. It will hang perpendicularly and if you are the slightest bit out of level will not stay in one place on the drill when it's rotating. Keep in in one spot while drilling and you are sure to be level.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't worry if your nose runs a bit and you have black snot after turning cast iron. It's the very fine carbon dust that's generated as you cut. Lovely stuff to work with but you'll think you'd been working in a black lead factory. I realise it's not something that many people encounter these days but it's a fact of life!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure we all have very good routines aimed at good housekeeping but every now and again it's a good thing to go one stage further. I used more bleach than usual this morning on my morning routine of bleaching my pot, the sink and the 'U' bend. A very hot wash is a good thing occasionally for the interior of your washing machine. It's a mini version of the dreaded 'Spring Clean' and isn't a bad policy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”