HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Marilyn »

Everything is usually upside down with no sound!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm not familiar with Ipads but can you have separate logins for different people, each with its own profile to set the preferences? That way each person retains their own settings - with less marital distress!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

But does David know that.......
Living a solitary life has its disadvantages but it also has the great benefit that the only time I have to negotiate is with Jack and I'm afraid I always get my way! I suspect my married life was much easier that it would be today, we were too busy surviving to dispute small things. We didn't even have to argue about what wireless programme to listen to because our radio only got one station, the Light Programme, I thing that became Radio 2.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

He has his own IPad, Stanley ( admittedly my old one, which I often have to sort out for him too...basically when he has confused that one in some way, and he reaches for mine...I have explained to him many times that his big fingers must be pressing on the soft control buttons around the edge of the iPad that control orientation of the screen and sound levels).
We share a car, and when I drive it, I always put things back to his settings when I exit the car - push the seat back and adjust the rear view mirror as years of sharing means I know where he needs the wing mirrors etc. it is just a habit now to leave things to suit him).
But I am entitled to get rattled when he messes with MY iPad!

:good: are we agreed Ladies?!!!!?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I also make sure the seat is pushed back in the car before I leave it but never thought of adjusting the mirrors to suit Col....he can do that himself. Afraid I rely on him to sort out my phone/tablet/laptop if there is a problem as he knows what he is doing. It makes me really irritated though, especially if he does something without me asking him for help!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We both have our own computers...in fact he has THREE computers and 2 printers ( one A4, one A3) as he designs houses.
I have my own computer....but occasionally he has had the need of that too if there is some kind of problem.
Mine is a touch above all three of his, and has touch screen capability... :geek: not good for my finger stabbing husband.
He gets in more trouble trying to sort things out than you would think is humanly possible.
I'm not saying he is an idiot - he is just remarkably impatient.
And I admit that, to me, sharing my computer feels a bit like sharing a toothbrush!

He can get the TV in a bit of a muddle too. I don't know how he does it!
The other day, he was bored, and I saw him sat at the couch, pushing buttons.
"What are you doing?" I asked.
"I am hiding TV channels that we don't use" he said.
That night, I could not find Corrie!!!!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I have to admit to recognising some of that in myself, Maz. I do the `man' thing of diving in to sort out a problem such as when the TV throws a wobbly but it usually ends up with Mrs Tiz saying "Why don't you try [insert solution]?" I'm on safer ground with the computers though! :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Every time I say [insert solution]... He never listens!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:biggrin2: he had bright carrot red hair when younger ( now a silver fox), and has distant Scottish ancestry.
Need I say more?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't really comment on any of this as it's outside my experience but I admit to finding it funny, sorry about that but I do sympathise....
The one thing I am sure about in this house is that if there is a cock-up it's usually my fault and I have to start do dig myself out of the hole from there, calling in an expert if all else fails.
Here's an example. This morning I went into g Thumb to search for an image in data. Every time I tried I got a red notice telling me that permission was denied.... Not good! After a couple of goes I selected a different source for the data on the menu and all was well. The latest version of g Thumb has a slightly different menus list and there are two sources for data. I was trying to access the wrong one on the new disk which only carries OS and programme information.
So I suppose the tip is when all else fails, look very carefully at what you are doing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I look at the way my gas boiler is gobbling gas despite having a reasonably well insulated and draught-proofed house and the highest efficiency boiler in good nick. I also look at the £300 Winter Fuel Allowance for the over 80s and reflect that we have to keep warm to be healthy and happy. Things could be worse and I count my blessings. Always at the back of my mind are the people worse off them myself, I need Harry Potter's magic wand! It's like remembering starving people when you are tucking into your grub, it's a cruel world!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We think a recent run of extremely hot weather has taken an elderly man a few streets from us .
He loved his garden and was extremely proud of his modest home...we would see him out sweeping paths every day on our walk, and he would struggle but take his time to still mow the lawns. He became a bit unsteady on his feet about 2 months ago. We didn't notice his car in the driveway after that, but he still swept his paths, leaning quite heavily on his broom for rests in between activity. A few weeks ago, we saw a neighbour of his out the front and remarked that we hadn't seen him and his garden was looking a bit sad. He wasn't well, she said, and had declined all offers of help from her sons to mow for him and keep things trim. I asked if anyone was doing welfare checks. She thought they were and felt he didn't want her interfering. We walked past on Thursday ( 40C heat) and the police were there, sheltering under a tree with two older men who I feel had discovered the old boy dead on a welfare check. Ambulance was coming up the street but nobody was rushing. ( having been a nurse, all the signs were there).
I would hate to think he died because he didn't have the strength to get himself a glass of water in a heat wave...
Sad...very sad.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with you Maz. Unfortunately we all get there in the end and it would be nice to know he had a good life and was content. Personally I want to drop dead in the shed or die peacefully in the night. If the kids don't get my "I am not dead behind the door" mail every morning they are immediately trying to find out why......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh yes...we shouldn't see "welfare checks" as demeaning as we get older.
Every now and then you hear of someone being dead for months and no one noticed. And that is very sad!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Febby always says he would like to die in his own bed, as he sleeps...but I can't imagine it would be pleasant to discover that one morning, as I sleep on the other side!
(So long as he doesn't make a mess!) :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My old mate Newton went like that and his wife Beryl said that whilst it was a shock it was a very easy way to lose him, knowing he had just slipped his moorings in the night.
Perhaps today's tip should be the get a plastic mattress cover just in case! (Is that the modern way of dealing with it?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't jump to premature conclusions if your body suddenly give you what on the face of it is a serious warning. Hang on a see how it develops. That happened to me yesterday but it begins to look as though it was actually a good thing! I am watching and waiting and might come clean in a few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Depends on if you are talking "twinge" or "heart attack", pet!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed Maz, Shed matters indicates a trip to the docs I would think. Double whammy if there is something else.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Take care of yourself, Stanley!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for caring. I am very good at taking care of myself..... Main thing is keeping it dry, hand washing is a bit sketchy at the moment! The good thing about where it is is that it's only shallow, if it was deeper I'd be heading for the surgery.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As you now know I changed my mind when I realised that I had missed the major injury and went to see Sam the nurse. This morning's tip is don't be afraid of changing your mind and always remember that if you are retired you can give yourself a Sick Note!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't go into a panic if you get a small amount of inflammation round a wound. It's OK as long as it stays within reason, it's part of the healing mechanism, increasing the flow of blood to the area. Isn't the body clever!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

On a morning like today when it is treacherous underfoot, remember that a little time spent in care when walking is far better than a couple of months at least mending a broken bone. For the elderly, a broken hip can be a death knell. There will be many old people in hospital tonight regretting the fact that they put themselves in danger, don't be one of them!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Treat cold weather with respect. Apart from the usual precautions against falling remember that keeping warm and well fed is the best protection against winter ailments. Don't worry about putting weight on, it's protection!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”