HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Marilyn »

Had to read that twice. You mean the nurses were about 30 years old. It read that your legs were 30 years old and I just had a mental picture of you rolling about on your backside for the first 50 years of your life! :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Right first time I think Maz!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All right, it was ambiguous but you both know what I meant! Good legs for a kilt!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if Scottish cycling men ever wear kilts? :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well known fact that they do Tiz.....
Reading about the modern computer controls on new cars today's tip is to buy a vintage motor with no computers in it..... It could be just as reliable and less stressful driving it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 03:56 Reading about the modern computer controls on new cars today's tip is to buy a vintage motor with no computers in it..... It could be just as reliable and less stressful driving it!
Don't knock it till you've tried it.

I've had my ' all singing all dancing' car for a year now - and I can't stop saying how good it is to anyone unfortunate enough to ask. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We are the same Tripps, but I do wish my husband would stop fiddling with all the buttons...drives me insane!
As soon as we are sat at traffic lights he says "now what does this one do again?"
It was raining the other day and he was complaining that the automatic wipers should have come on. Well they would have, if he hadn't turned the buggars off!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I hate machines intruding into what I see as my control areas. It must be just me but I shall resist such 'innovations' to the death! My shed is a computer free zone.....
Not a bad idea to forestall any hard frosts by insulating any outside pipes or taps that have frozen before in bad weather. In particular, waste pipes partially clogged by grease or hair from the sink and washing machine. They are prone to freezing when the bore is restricted. While you are at it, if you have a cover on a manhole in your sewer, lift the lid and have a look to see if it's clear. Many people are living with a partial blockage but haven't the faintest idea it's there. A stitch in time saves nine!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Another point about cars with lots of automatic goodies...when it comes back from a service make sure the mechanic hasn't switched off something you always keep switched on. The Golf has an `automatic' setting for the headlights that make them come on in the dark. Once, after a service, I drove off then realised my lights hadn't come on - they'd been switched to manual. If this had happened in brightly lit town streets instead of a country lane I could have driven for miles without knowing I'd no headlights on.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Plenty of advise about car driving but what about Kamikaze pedestrians? Dark rainswept evenings with brollies up, heads buried in hoodies, eyes down and away we go. Usually dressed all in black nipping between the traffic totally oblivious to the fact that they are nearly invisible to the car driver. Even at 5 mph a small one ton car can send them to the promised land. Today's tip is .. don't expect some clown in a car to spot the clown crossing the road.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was that clown not long ago, brightly lit corner, nothing in sight when I stepped off the kerb and as if by magic a car cornering at high speed was upon me! I was alert and had done my kerb drill.
You don't mention the ones with their eyes glued to their phones......
One place where I always get dirty looks is when someone trying to be 'nice' ditches the rule of the road and stops, waving you across. Never ever cross the path of a car with its engine running! I saw a woman get a broken leg like that one day. The driver admitted his foot 'slipped off the clutch'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 11:12 Plenty of advise about car driving but what about Kamikaze pedestrians?
Remember that photo earlier this year of someone in darkness and dark clothing pushing his bike across the road in the US. He was hit by a driverless car which hadn't `seen' him. There was a lot of criticism about the technology but I doubt it would have been different if a human had been the driver.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was wearing my Yellow waterproof and the 'driverless car' didn't see me either!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Stanley, try having a drive up Albert Rd in Colne at 5 pm. Traffic is moving at less than walking speed with cars trying to cross the main flow in both directions. On top of this we have 'invisible man' nip halfway across, walking down the centre of the road, then sprint through a gap less than 3 ft wide. Some people are tempting Providence or are just born with a death wish.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I had an incident about 30 years ago, driving along an unlit dual carriageway, in the dark and rain, when 3 men in white overalls jumped over a fence and run across in front of me. I avoided them OK, the 4th one following up the rear in dark blue overalls had no chance. He survived but was fairly well broken, as was my car...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When we lived near the M40 in the 1980s kids got killed by trying to run across the motorway. Since then the stupid risk-taking has elevated into a social media thing with people taking photos and putting them on the Web - and sometimes making a lot of money doing it. Another aspect of the social media companies ignoring their ethical responsibilities by allowing it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't need 'White Knuckle' stimulus, I have had all I can handle in the last 83 years! I occasionally look at 'fails' compilations on Youtube and am amazed at how stupid some of the 'pranks' are.
I am always amazed by the cruelty and excess of some army training methods for special forces. The admiration for these people has spread into real life and I think this has had an effect. It is very prevalent on the US college system in sports training, especially for college football. I remember an incident while I was over there where a college coach was psyching his players up into a frenzy before going onto the field and was very successful. They went collectively berserk, attacked each other and hospitalised him! Poetic justice.
So today's tip is be careful if you are considering winding someone up, there might be unintended consequences.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As Xmas looms for the 82nd time in my life I observe the collective frenzy as an outsider because whilst I recognise and enjoy the 'festive season' I don't do anything myself to mark the season apart from reciprocating whenever I get Xmas Greetings. The reason for this is of course that there are no children to cater for. The main joy I remember from my family days was the infectious excitement of the kids, it made it worthwhile to have all the trimmings! Today I have a very quiet day listening to a lot of Radio and I really enjoy it.
So today's tip is don't feel guilty if you aren't conforming and participating full chat with everyone else's idea of Xmas. It is definitely allowed and doesn't mean you are a bad person!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Beware of any enterprise that involves wearing a Santa Suit in wet weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain could cease late morning.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 04:31 Beware of any enterprise that involves wearing a Santa Suit in wet weather!
Our Finlay has decided to do it in his Wharfedale Juniors Rugby kit. :extrawink:

For the other intrepid supporters, its short term pain and a definite wake up, but a whole lot of gain for Bosom Friends. Nice to see Wendy and Margaret at the centre yesterday. :smile: :santa2:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Looking forward to it! The forecast has improved slightly. My dear son reports an upset stomach and has dropped out. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy's news about Bertie brings this to mind: "A dog is not just for Xmas".
Today's tip is that if you are seriously considering a companion animal (of any description!) think carefully about the rewards and returns and recognise that there is always a price to pay.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you get fed up of Xmas repeats on the TV have a look at THIS Wiki article on savants and then go digging. You will find some truly amazing stories about abilities that are beyond comprehension. This was triggered by hearing a World Service piece on an 'acquired savant' this morning. Quite amazing!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”