HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Marilyn »

I wash in cold water with half a scoop of budget washing powder...never have a problem.
I buy washing powder (any powder) on special (don't care what brand it is) and combine it all in a big plastic tub, which I store under the laundry sink.
Any stains get a squrt of Spray and Wipe before being bunged in to wash.
I think people get ripped off buying expensive laundry items...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Different countries and different formulations Maz. There is a lot of iron in some Aussie water and none here, much depends on the water. With all of them you find something that works for you and your machine. We used to have to use fabric softener with washing powders here because of the harshness of the powder. You never see them now, they are incorporated in the capsules. But yes, they are very clever with their advertising.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

It's the same with hair products and face creams. All "promises in a jar".
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Maz, the cosmetics industry is the biggest con trick since the National Lottery!
Show David THIS BBC report on the beneficial properties of honey!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's another Cunning Wheeze that is smaller in volume of sales than cosmetics but is even more outrageous. The selling of mineral crystals that are claimed to improve health. Take this example, found on the Web, and I'll call it X:

`X is the perfect crystal to have with you when you’re looking for a big change in your life, or when you need to make a fresh new start. This crystal will amplify the flow of energy in your body and help you with your mental expansion. There will be a shift in your perspective, and there will be a renewed sense of commitment in you that will make anything you want to do possible. X can also enhance your learning abilities. It's a great crystal to have when you’re learning a new skill or language or preparing for an important examination, because your mind will be like a sponge that will absorb everything! X is also a highly protective crystal. It can protect you against negative energies or unwanted physical and psychical attacks. It will dispel all the negative energies that have accumulated in your personal auric field and replace them with positive ones. This crystal will make sure that you are always surrounded by good and uplifting vibrations! X crystals can ground you, center you, and bring you inner peace. If you’re unsure where you need to go, this crystal can help you use your talents and abilities to discover your life purpose. It can strengthen your intuition, your wisdom, and your spirituality. This crystal can clear the blockages and the negative energies in your body. It will turn sluggish energy into stimulating energy, and it will boost all your physical and mental functions. It will help you learn new concepts and make you achieve all that you set out to achieve. X will help you combat your laziness. It will remove any desire to procrastinate, to be unproductive, and to be slow. These crystals can infuse you with strong energies to make you accomplish more and achieve more.'

What is this wonderful crystal they're talking about? It's calcite, which to you and me is chalk, limestone! And you can find the same things said about hundreds of other mineral crystals sold on the Web. Another good example of this Cunning Wheeze is the mineral halite. You'll find the same wonderful claims, but halite is sodium chloride, ordinary table salt. I easily found this blurb about pyromorphite: `It’s an excellent crystal that will enhance the energies of other stones, especially when it comes to crystal healing. If you love spending time outdoors and being surrounded by nature, and if you love gardening and conserving nature, this crystal will be an excellent crystal to have. If you combine it with Anthophyllite, it will provide all kinds of support to gardeners and conservationists, and it will assist you in making contact with nature spirits, sprites, and devas. PyromorphitePyromorphite will enhance your ability to speak your truths and to be prepared for future events. This crystal will refresh your attitude and increase your personal power by attracting beneficial energies and material assets in your life. It’s an excellent crystal that will help you when you’re dealing with stressful situations....[followed by much more].

And what is pyromorphite? Lead chlorophosphate, and we all know about the danger of long term exposure to lead.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite wonderful Tiz! I read that with fascination. Possibly one of the finest examples of the copy-writer's art I have ever seen. Hyaluronic Acid springs to mind...... (LINK). You've got to admire the creativity involved in manufacturing a concept like 'sluggish energy'! The word-smiths are alive and well!
Very closely allied to the political spin doctors and of course the really terrible thing is that if you read without engaging your comprehension mode it works! Further, if someone is really suggestible there can be a beneficial effect like the inert pills used in double blind trials, the Placebo Effect. No wonder people like you and I are immune to advertisements!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If Rees-Mogg gets kicked out of politics he could probably get a job as a smooth-talking crystal salesman.

`Sluggish energy'. Terry Pratchett, bless his soul, was great with words and concepts, perhaps due to his earlier career as PR man for the Sellafield nuclear site. In his books he would write how on Discworld light travelled very slowly. You could tell this was true by standing on a hill just before dawn looking towards the sunrise and watching how the light gradually and slowly moved towards you across the landscape. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And it moves very slowly when it's cloudy........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If you put meat to defrost in the fridge, put it on a dish. Amazing how plastic bags can leak blood all over everything! Easier to clean the dish than the fridge.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Every piece of 'official' advice I have ever seen on cleaning fridge interiors has always recommended a solution of Bicarbonate of Soda. I'm afraid I use a spray worktop cleaner and have never noticed any taint in the food.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I just use dishwashing liquid...
Lovely sunny day here and I wanted to air the doona. Would have loved to have popped it out in the sun, but we have so many birds about ( trying to build nests which we keep sweeping out), that I thought it might get used for target practice. So I have shoved it up against a sunny window inside, draped over high backed stools. Seems to be enjoying itself there. Expecting 24 C tomorrow so it can soak up more sunshine then. Looks a bit odd in the upstairs window. Hope the neighbours don't think we wet the bed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

So what if they do?
Make sure you have the right glasses on before going to sample a new supermarket. Don't go wearing your readers! That's right, I did it yesterday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

But you NEED your readers most of all...all those use-by dates to check!
What other glasses would you need?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Vari focals Maz or old fashioned bi focals.
When I moved into this house over 20 years ago Susan gave me a Norwegian made washing up brush. Despite being used frequently every day it's as good today as when it was new so don't buy cheapies!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm Ok with my normal glasses in a food supermarket but yesterday I was trying to buy some computer accessories in Tesco, WH Smith and Wilko and had trouble because they hang the blister packs on racks which have tiny labels. I should have had my reading glasses with me.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Labels don't help do they. I have pointed out recently to both the vets and the doctors that the tiny appointment slips they use assume that everyone has 20/20 vision. Same problem in a way to foreign call centres where people with limited command of English gabble at you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wrap ups from your butcher are an economical way of buying meat. I found this morning that the one I got from Brown's when they closed for the holiday cost me £45. You haven't seen it of course but I can assure you it was a very good deal! If you have a regular butcher try it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Something I noticed the other day. Time is a great healer! Remember me marking my work top with a red hot pan? For a few weeks I used the bread board to conceal the scar but found I wasn't bothering now. I have got used to the scar and it doesn't annoy me any more.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I brew my only pot of coffee every morning after an initial pint of tea. Normally I leave the coffee brewing in my can for up to ten minutes. This morning I only gave it about 4 minutes and the result is definitely not as good as the longer brewing time. So today's tip is give good coffee made in a jug or pot at least seven or eight minutes and ten is better!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If your modern, high-power, high suction, noisy vacuum cleaner annoys you go into the garage and get out your ancient Vax, bought cheap at Aldi, and find out how easy and quiet vacuum cleaning used to be!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Mine delights me! For the first time ever I can deal efficiently with dog hairs!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm a bit of an expert on dog hair..... Patterdale hair is easier to vacuum than Jack Russell hair. I always suspected that if you examined Jack Russell hair under a microscope it would have some sort of hooks on it because once trodden into a carpet or piece of cloth it was almost impossible to remove!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't get the workpiece hot enough to burn the flux when soldering!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Before you write a project off as a failure, give it a bit of time and a fresh evaluation. Things may not be as bad as you thought!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I have a few bamboo table mats that were looking a little grubby. I threw them in the washing machine with some work clothes I was washing. Sounded a bit rough! A few hours drying in the sunshine (95f today) and they were as good as new. :goodidea: That's my tip for today.
My poor washing machine. Maybe the dishwasher would have been better?
Might try my spanners tomorrow. :nooo:

Return to “Nostalgia”