THE FLATLEY DRYER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Stanley »

A hand carrier for milk bottles, used for delivery from the milk float to the doorstep. There used to be thousands of these but now they are expensive antiques!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Interesting, I cant see the image in the post, says I don.t have permission! I have looked at the URL and it looks right. When I go to the gallery I can see the preview of the image but if I go to get it's reference it gives me the permission error.

How very dare it, I am admin and it should automatically bend to my will. Anyone else having the problem?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Image.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I can see it. :smile:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

So can I, just like Kev's pic. Perhaps the forum has finally developed a mind of its own and decided to show Ian who's boss! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If that's the case I can take it easy and it can run itself. :extrawink: :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No problem here....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

My post view
Capture1.PNG

Gallery preview for me

Capture2.PNG

Gallery image for me

Capture3.PNG
I can see all of Stanley's other images in the gallery and in the posts.

Pretty weird. :dontgetit:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The only time this happens to me is when the system logs me out without me knowing it, usually I'm permanently logged in, and I continue as a guest. In these cases I get the type of images you are showing. :sad:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Hmm, curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say. The site showed me logged in and allowed me to post as usual with my admin credentials. I could log in to the admin console which requires another confirmation of my credentials and refreshes the home page when you come out of the admin console. None of this made any difference. However having seen your last post Ken, I logged out and then back in again and I can now see Stanley's post including the image, all is fixed. :smile: Even as a guest user, (i.e. not logged in) you should still see the images as I set the permissions to allow guest user access to them some time ago when Tizer flagged up that particular permission error a few years ago.

I will have to check it again to make sure nothing has changed with the last migration of the site and gallery to the Virtual Server. Too late for tonight so I will check tomorrow or I should say later today.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My rates used to be a piece of paper and I paid at Jepp Hill. No problems.
Now my council tax is online but last year when I attempted to register to read it I never got the confirmation email and after that the system refused to recognise me. I complained and never got a reply.
I see that this week I have to try again, this will not be pretty. How I wish we were back in Flatley Dryer land with a paper bill.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I’m continuously being thrown off this site and being asked to Log In twice.
E2EFACD5-8461-48BA-BEB7-F18693243337.png
4B17B70A-5A59-4855-94FA-4DA184AFFF01.png
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That happens to me as well Cathy but not continuously. Is it a tablet thing?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

According to Ian, it is an iPhone thing.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Most major PC and other platform browsers have built in password saving routines and will even generate a strong gobbledegook one for you and save it for each site that requires a logon.

My phone which is a Samsung Android job has Google Chrome but relies on a Samsung background app if you want it to remember passwords. In other words, password retention may not be automatic on phones and tablets, you may need to enable another app on the device for it to work.

Oh, and regarding the image viewing problem. I have checked and guest users still have access to all images in the gallery and those inserted into posts. Guests do not see images inserted as attachments or have access to attachments that are inserted for download, that functionality cannot be set using the normal permission system built into the site software. In fact, I have no idea if there is actually a setting to allow access. Attachments all go into a directory on the server which acts as a simple repository whereas the gallery has it's own directory structure and permission system which is very similar to how the main site permissions work.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is how I see your post Ian when I'm logged out. I don't get that big red symbol but the red text telling me I don't have permission.

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes that's correct Peter. As I said above, all attachments are stored in the "files" directory remotely on the server and are not subject to the site permissions regime so you only see references to them but with no functionality. One of the many drawbacks to adding images as attachments. We currently have over 3,000 attached files of varying sizes totalling 2.83Gb of data on the server. None of which can be searched or viewed in any other way but in the original post that it was inserted into.

Gallery on the other hand has 21,769 images held in 8.3Gb on the server within an extension of the site software which brings them into the permission regime of the site.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for the explanation. :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All my pics are in the gallery, no attachments.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I should mention as well in true Flatley Dryer tradition that every single one of the uploaded attachments, all 3000+ are shown by the site software to be orphaned. That is, not attached to any posts, that it incorrect as all of the attachments are attached to posts whether they are images or files for download. A foible of the site software I think. It suggests a fix of manually attaching them all to posts, yeh right. :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Almost all of my pics are uploaded through the gallery but I sometimes use the attachment route because it allows me to make available a larger image size where there is a need to show fine detail.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I might have to throttle back the allowable size of attachments, they are currently unregulated and are gobbling up space on the server. The resizing option on gallery images is there for a reason and you can see the difference it makes to the storage requirements. Problem is the attachment controls are a bit of a blunt edge setting as they have to be applied to multiple file types.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If you throttled back attachments on memory size would 500kb be OK or would that still be too bloating? I think the biggest pic I've put in an attachment was this one and it's around 400kb. LINK and that was plenty detailed enough!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

For images I have set them to 800x600 dimensions same as the gallery and for jpegs (which is the only configurable image type that you can limit) I have set them to 75% of original on compression. There are settings for other image types and a multitude of file types but these are just on an allowed / disallowed basis. Now we are on a Virtual Server instance we are limited by available storage space not the size of the database as previously. We are running out of room and will soon have to upgrade to the next level of server storage. Gallery gets an average of 7 images per day and the attachments don't have a convenient monitoring system.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I must admit that I tend to use the attachments more than the gallery.
Using my camera I could be loading up to 1.5 Mb images. My Phone would give nearly 1 Mb images. Downloads are much smaller at under 50 Kb Trimming the image or reducing the density gets a bit involved so I tend to leave them. In general the advice is to go back to the gallery for images.

Return to “Nostalgia”