Where have you all gone to?

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Where have you all gone to?

Post by Whyperion »

Good Morning (evening ? ) to South Australia. Odd about the adverts as most Google served ones are fairly reasonable, looks like the advertiser filled out the wrong kind of target profile , a screen shot PM'd to mods might have been useful , as it needs to be remembered that casual viewers from whereever are going to be visiting as guest in the first instance and it would then seem that whats served up in the UK is different to other google territories.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

"I predict that OG will die on its bum in a few years" - Calluna

"He not busy being born is busy dying " - Bob Dylan

"back of the net" Alan Partridge

:wink:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Paraphrased from Mark Twain: "Reports of our death have been greatly exaggerated".
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We will just have to watch this space, I suppose...
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Moh wrote:I tried but ended up just coming on and putting in What did we have for tea and the weather - every topic I have started has just disappeared so after a while you lose interest. We used to have a recipe topic but that has vanished along with household tips.
If you instigate a topic the site software automatically subscribes you to it. You can easily get back to all your own topics by clicking on the "View your topic" link at the top of the index page . You can also use "View your posts" but this will retrieve quite a number of results.

You can use the tabs at the bottom of the threads for subscribing or bookmarking individual topics.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Good and useful advice Ian, thanks.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Interesting that of all the points I mentioned in my last post, the only item to draw any comment was a quote which wasn’t even reproduced in full. What I actually wrote was:

[tab=30]"I predict that OG will die on its bum in a few years because of this attitude.

The fact that neither mine nor other people’s comments - which should surely be taken as constructive criticism from typical users - have been considered probably illustrates my point much more than anything I could write.

So while we’re busy producing quotes, here’s another one for you:

[tab=30]"There are none so blind as those who will not see."
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Well said H.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Cally, I think if you re-read the thread since your post on the last page you will find that three people commented on various points of your post not just the quote that Tripps pulled up. I think Stanley has also commented about your new rescue dog over in another thread. I have not commented on your post because I have nothing to say. I cannot and would not even attempt to change your views or attitude so anything I said would have made no difference.

I have instigated a number of threads on the board that have not nescessarily "flown". No point beating oneself over the head about it. I keep them going because I want to, most of the time I'm talking to myself. The "Blood Donor" and "Barlick War Memorial Research" threads two cases in point. Blood donors will be dragged back up prior to the next session and I will post in the research thread when I have more information to put in there. People will either read it and comment or choose to ignore it, that is their perogative.
Ian
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

That Ian is how I see it as well. Its sad that a community site such as this should be subject to disagreement by its members. I had a quick look at the Men V Women and vise versa topic it made me shudder a bit as after all, we are all here on the same ticket. I have always endeavored to maintain a balance with my input and tried to keep them light hearted, for example, my topics on Aviation, not just aimed at the male members, but general interest, many women round here have worked at Rolls Royce over time, two are in my family. The topics that are about the Military aspect of life may look like an acquired taste and a bit masculine, yet such topics as "The Barlick War Memorial Group" and Ians "War Memorial research" whilst appearing to be specific and unattractive are after all about this community. There are many members who do not nor ever have lived in Barlick, yet they make a very valuable contribution to what we have, its a shame there are not more locals involved, but that is a matter of choice.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Let's try this - just for a bit of fun....I did it ages ago, but I think the time might be right just now :smile:
If it doesn't work I'll ' delete it. Amazing it works (for me anyway). I think it's by Nina Simone?
The message is in the song as they say.

Just click then play
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one Ian. Lovely song......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Agreed, but it was Dave who posted it! Speed reading or brain fart?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Old age! Sorry lads, the autism kicks in at the strangest times! "I'm just a soul whose intentions are good......"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Singing along, Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood----
I loved The Animals version of that, oh and their House of the Rising Sun.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I haven't heard from Ted for a while (Handlamp). I've mailed Lou (his daughter) to see how he is. A good man who posted some wonderful railway information. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just an experiment to produce a "Big Kev" front page
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Seeing as BigKev is here (was here, and no doubt will be back again ) , how come under Mr K's profile it states 6 images , I click on the 6 and only get to see 2 ? I presume the other 4 are hidden.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

BK is quite capable of looking after himself but who cares about his profile? He's a member, a contributor and a donor and can do exactly what he wants.
Got a prompt reply from Ted's daughter, he is fine and managing well but has a lot on his plate. Then I got mail from Ted himself, I think he and I might be grousing about PFI again shortly..... Good news, I had that horrible feeling he might have fallen off the perch! All is well...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Whyperion wrote:Seeing as BigKev is here (was here, and no doubt will be back again ) , how come under Mr K's profile it states 6 images , I click on the 6 and only get to see 2 ? I presume the other 4 are hidden.
I have no idea what images you mean. Other than my avatar, and any images in the gallery, I'm not aware of any more and everything should be available for public view :confused:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just for the record I can see all of Kevs images when I click on the number of images at the side of his posts, there are 6 in the gallery like it says on the tin.
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Ah , its 2 in the gallery which show when the image count is clicked , 4 in the competition when the user name under images uploaded is clicked these also appear.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”