Where have you all gone to?

Thomo

Re: Where have you all gone to?

Post by Thomo »

Some interesting comments on this and it took me a little while to get used to the new setup, I still have some way to go though, its all about patience and "seek and ye shall find". The data from the old site is still there and useful. I am confident that those in charge will get it sorted, but it will not happen overnight, good things seldom do. The big difference between a site such as this and sites like facebook etc, is that this site has discipline, this I appreciate, not everyone will agree with some of the posts, its human nature, but it cannot get out of hand as easily as some of the popular media. I am aware that there have been incidents on facebook for example that have caused real distress, the most recent involved a family member, she had put behind her something bad that had happened in the past, only to be reminded of it again. This may not have been done with malicious intent, but it happened.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Steeplejacks is still turning up new activity from around the UK/World.
Newshound seems well behaved and is of use to knowing about the area around Barnoldswick agregated into one place, it populates basic information faster than a few
users can typing at home or wherever.
Pity theres not a RSS feed in from freecycle - as being on the border of everywhere a few people either cross -post to Skipton and Pendle groups , or one has to check both to find what one might be interested in acquiring or passing on to others.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The more 'links and feeds' we have, the more complicated the site gets. The key requirement of the majority of the members is simplicity and ease of access. I'm glad to see Newshound is back in the kennel... Peter, the great advantage we have is that the moderators are online almost all day and keep the streets tidy. You'd be surprised by the amount of tidying up we do every day and the time spent on it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I thought the Internet Explorer Google pop-up thing had disappeared the other day, but it appears to be back. Everytime I change pages it bobs up again----very annoying.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I'm on the case Gloria, fear not, I will track it down and stamp on it.
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

I offer my avatar boots for your use Doc----do it :laugh5:
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gloria, I only get it once a session on Firefox. Worth a try? It's a free download and many of us think it's better than Explorer. Haven't had it yet this morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Gloria, same as Stanley for me, I'm using Firefox and only get it once a session.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Right, Stanley and Tizer, you are talking to the computer illerate here----- what is the difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox and do I just delete one from my computer and load the other? Will anything change? will I lose anything? do I have to save anything?
Gloria
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Gloria wrote:Right, Stanley and Tizer, you are talking to the computer illerate here----- what is the difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox and do I just delete one from my computer and load the other? Will anything change? will I lose anything? do I have to save anything?
You won't be able to delete Internet Explorer, unfortunately it's an integral part of Windows. Just download Firefox and you'll be prompted to use it as your default browser.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

It will also offer to copy all your favorites and bookmarks across as well, just follow the prompts.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Thankyou both. When I logged on this time I didn't get it until I clicked the reply button---perhaps Doc is stamping on it as we speak.
Gloria
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Glo, and if you decide you don't like Firefox you can just ignore it and continue using Internet Explorer or uninstall it.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Doc hasn't stamped on it yet, it comes up when I won't to put a comment on, but not when I'm browsing everything else. It's a little devil that's got into the works somehow. Grrrrrrrrrr. Get awaaaaaaay you Goooooogle pop-up !!! :gatlin: :gatlin:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Well - thanks to you all for the responses, both on the site, and sent privately. It seems there are many reasons, including not getting on with the new layout, topics past their sell by date, other interests, and the advertising. I have taken Tizer's advice (again), and now use the shortcut Link here. This (after Doc's latest work) takes me to where I want to be, and looks a lot like the old site to me.
I have logged in as a guest several times over the weekend, and have not see any adverts. Is this deliberate, and is that the end of them? I never came across newshound and didn'y understand what it was anyway.
The post was meant to be a little bit provocative, and entice old friends back, but failed in that respect. I'm still using my Halogen Oven Moh, and did Calluna ever decide on which camera to buy, and how is the new dog settling in? Perhaps we'll never know. :sad:
Thanks to Doc for your efforts - mind how you go......
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote:Well - thanks to you all for the responses, both on the site, and sent privately. It seems there are many reasons, including not getting on with the new layout, topics past their sell by date, other interests, and the advertising. I have taken Tizer's advice (again), and now use the shortcut Link here. This (after Doc's latest work) takes me to where I want to be, and looks a lot like the old site to me.
I have logged in as a guest several times over the weekend, and have not see any adverts. Is this deliberate, and is that the end of them? I never came across newshound and didn'y understand what it was anyway.
The post was meant to be a little bit provocative, and entice old friends back, but failed in that respect. I'm still using my Halogen Oven Moh, and did Calluna ever decide on which camera to buy, and how is the new dog settling in? Perhaps we'll never know. :sad:
Thanks to Doc for your efforts - mind how you go......
Calluna bought a Canon 600D and has 2 rescued dogs now. One has calmed down a lot and the other looks like a floor mop...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

...Perhaps it is a floor mop, they're quite tame, easy to keep and don't eat much (but if you tread on one it'll beat you over the head with a stick).
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Much better without the ads...
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I have had the google thing 5 times in as many minutes. I don't come on very often any more - as the first post said too many politics, engineering and grumpy old men topics. If we start a topic it just disappears without trace - just note how many ladies have commented on here who don't appear on other topics any more - tell you something??
Say only a little but say it well.
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

As a grumpy old man who enjoys engineering, chimneys, etc., i'm still young enough to enjoy women and their views on life, so why not tell us what you enjoy, providing its not x rated, after 50yrs + of married life, i must have some interest in the female mind.
It's not like a woman to let men enjoy themselves, so come on girls see if you can stimulate us with your opinions.
ps. that google problem is male created, maybe you have the answer ?
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Well erm, how about something a bit raunchy, but not too naughty, might get us old blokes going a bit and have a laugh. Oh, that includes Stanley! It would do us a world of good. Some nice pics of fully clothed ladies would be nice. Haha. :grin: :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I would simply ask, what do the ladies want to talk about and leave it at that.
Ian
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

The ladies have sometimes tried. The ladies topics die a quick death for some reason. Perhaps we are all too busy to go online to keep the topic going!!!! :)
If you keep searching you will find it
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue, topics can only continue if they get posts. There is only one way to see if a subject can generate responses, fly the kite and see if they succeed.That's why on the old site I used to go back and post on old topics to see if they could be revived. Perhaps I ought to do the same thing again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sue wrote:The ladies have sometimes tried. The ladies topics die a quick death for some reason. Perhaps we are all too busy to go online to keep the topic going!!!! :)
I reckon you've "hit the nail on the head" there, Sue. As Stanley says, further on in the thread, topics will only keep going if they are commented on. There must be an interest in engineering, politics and grumpy old men, I started a thread on photography, this initially started with a studio portrait but has evolved into general photography. There's not that much in it at the moment but it's still there. It may evolve again or, it may just "fizzle" out.

A thought for all the ladies who are "complaining" about the subject matter being commented on, post something you want to talk about it and then comment on it. There are posts on here about art and food as well as grumpy old men and steam engines.

The layout of the front page is almost the same as the "old" site so there's no excuse for any new posts not being seen.

Post something new and see what happens...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”