Where Have You Just Been?

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: Where Have You Just Been?

Post by Cathy »

Very nice Liz, love the look of Canada. Any pics to share?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
LizG

Post by LizG »

Correct Stanley, it was very cold in Alaska. The day we went for a drive into Denali National Park it snowed. That was where we saw most of the wildlife. Canada was a little warmer.

Cathy, I'll post some photos once we get them sorted. We only got back yesterday afternoon.
Liz
LizG

Post by LizG »

DSC01622.JPG
This was one of 12 bears we saw. But it was an 8 hour day!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know bears are dangerous but they look so cuddly!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

ImageJust been to Chesil Beach. On holiday in Dorset and paid a visit on a glorious sunny day. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Can't see your picture Nolic.......
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

To bed..... Amazing how sleep can repair the body....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

A couple of weeks traveling around Europe in the car. Went to France (Besancon), Switzerland (Interlaken), Italy (Bergamo) and Germany(Freiburg). All very pleasant towns/cities and we were very lucky with the weather which was splendid save for a couple of hours rain on a couple of days (and a bit of snow – see below). A few thoughts.

It seems impossible to eat badly in Italy and it’s a ridiculously romantic place. Our haltingly inept phrasebook Italian was met with patience and encouragement. Donkey stew is very nice.

Forget what you’ve heard about the famed efficiency of the Swiss transport system as the reality is that it is even better. We had a day right up in the Alps and our itinerary from the hotel using public transport was bus, train, train, cable car(s), bus, bus, train, train, bus. It ran like clockwork each leg timetabled to link with the previous. So we ended up at Piz Gloria in a snowfall having our ‘selfie’ ‘photo taken with a cut out George Lazenby (one for the James Bond buffs there). Temporary snow fall as it was otherwise crystal clear and the views of the Eiger, Monck and Jungfrau spectacular.

Besancon has a Museum of Time and many clocks. The pavements contain brass ‘timepiece’ arrowheads that if you follow take you to clocks, old and very new. The cathedral has a remarkable astronomical clock that is a French national historical monument.

German beer is excellent, as are the sausages from the Wurst stands. Contrary to cliché perhaps, the Germans we met were remarkably smiley, friendly, engaging and lively.

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds like a mini Grand Tour Richard! I agree with you about the majority of Germans. Our favourite boozing partners in the bars in Spandau in the 50s were the old Wehrmacht men, we should never have been fighting them.... " Es was Hitler!" Mind you, you occasionally meet an uptight German who fills all the standard criteria, usually in a minor position of power.....
I like the Piz Gloria selfie.... Another location where, when you see it in a film, you can bore everyone by muttering "Been there...."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We went to a fundraiser for the RNLI last night which was down at the Stone Trough. It was originally going to be at Ghyll golf club but they changed the venue. The evening was 1940's themed with GI Jive (Ian Hartley and his wife Sheilagh) who provided the dance music and encouragement by demonstration for a number of the popular dances from the 30's and 40's. A jolly good time was had by all and we managed to win twice in the raffle. :grin:

GI Jive

We have seen Ian and Sheilagh many times as they have been around for a long while on the 40's dance circuit. I think we were the only couple there who had had any previous experience of 40's jive, a point picked up on by Ian as he could see that we could dance. There were a few ladies who could tap and they were very good at picking up the Charleston moves. Sally was well pleased as Ian scooped her up at one point for a dance and led her through some Lindy Hop routines. We have touched on the basics of Lindy but did not keep it up as the guy doing the classes turned out to be quite a tyrant and instead of supporting when you got it wrong he just shouted at you. I had all on not to thump him on one session so we decided not to continue, a few others from the class left at the same time so it was not just us. It's a few years now since we did any classes and we both have a yen to try Lindy again so may look for another class if we can find one reasonably local.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I envy you Ian! My coordination in the shed or when doing almost anything else is excellent but once on a dance floor I become a gibbering wreck. The kids have never let me see the video of me attempting Greek Dancing at Janet's wedding.... (It was sudden death, two blokes retired injured!) Mind you, this may have been something to do with the fact that all the patriarchs were given a bottle of their favourite spirit when they sat down. Greek weddings are something else!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye, I have been passed the fisherman's hat and danced on the table, Rhodos I think that was. It was the local barber that did it I think, the same guy that spent every morning wet shaving three of his mates outside his little shop in the village square, conveniently placed next to a tavern. The gang then spent the rest of the day playing chess under an olive tree. In the evening the old guys danced and got up to mischief.

I too was the last bloke to ever get up and dance, we saw an advert for 40's jive classes at Silsden and decided to give it a go. One thing led to another and you then end up dressing the part to attend the dances and then the re-enactment groups and weekends with steam trains and the like. We need to Lindy Hop though, you can dance the steps to a much broader range of musical tempo's. It's pretty cool to watch and damned good exercise that's for sure.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't do that sort of exercise these days.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Went to an entertaining talk by Dr Alan Crosby at Colne Library last night called "Grandmother's Letters". He is such a good speaker who holds the audience's attention without the need for Power Point, well worth listening to whatever subject he is talking about!
In contrast, our speaker at Earby on Tuesday - Dr George Ingle, had a Power Point presentation showing the words of his talk with just occasional illustrations, and that was quite distracting despite the interesting subject matter of starving hand loom weavers from the Laneshaw Bridge area walking to Addingham in 1826 to try and break up the new power looms in Low Mill. Finding that too well guarded by the militia they turned and walked on to Gargrave where some were shot and killed. Desperate times.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We went to a lecture in the village hall recently were the speaker spent more time clicking through folders on the computer to show his Powerpoint images than he did talking. He kept bringing up the folder hierarchy on the screen, switching folders, scrolling, clicking...oops wrong one...do it all again. :confused:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have never had any experience of Power Point, either as a consumer or a lecturer but like both of you I am sceptical about it. The best lectures I have ever seen or done myself were simply talking against illustrations on the screen from and old fashioned slide show. I put the annual lectures at the Royal Society in the same class, talking combined with practical demonstration. I have been told that Power Point can become almost addictive and many people don't like the rigid format. I think audiences quite enjoy 'live' lectures where there is always the chance of something going wrong!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote:We went to a lecture in the village hall recently were the speaker spent more time clicking through folders on the computer to show his Powerpoint images than he did talking. He kept bringing up the folder hierarchy on the screen, switching folders, scrolling, clicking...oops wrong one...do it all again. :confused:
Just like lectures and presentations of old when they got their slides mixed up!

It's no different and all comes down to preparation as it always has. Nothing wrong with Powerpoint as a presentation tool as long as you know how to work it. Apart from the practical workshops the entire 6 months of CISCO training was delivered using Powerpoint, with associated notes for each module and a tutor who knew what he was talking about and how to deliver the presentation.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

If you have pictures and diagrams to show then Power Point is wonderful. Putting the full text of your talk on the screen for people to read along as you are talking is just distracting...though great for someone with hearing difficulties, so I shouldn't complain!
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Just been to Morecambe to have my hair cut & permed - I cannot find one as good in Burnley - hubby went to check the caravan and have a natter with a friend.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A little Barlick circular out to Gilbeber on towards Bracewell and back through the fields over to Brogden via the stone bridge over Cloggers (Fools Syke). Three and a bit miles in about an hour.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A day out at the Royal Armouries in Leeds, part of my birthday treats. Family and two grandchildren who were quite taken on by the bunch of Star Wars characters that turned up. Bounty Hunter Boba Fett was in attendance with about half a dozen Storm Troopers and one of the new Sith Lords from the upcoming latest episode and sundry other characters. We met this lot on the way out after touring all the floors. We saw a broadsword fighting demonstration while we were making our way round, slightly too early for the English longbow archer from Agincourt. Pizza Express for lunch. Royal Armouries, well worth a visit, it's a lot more swish than the last time I visited it shortly after it opened.

Royal Armouries - Leeds
Ian
LizG

Post by LizG »

We picked up Dad's ashes today. It's taken a while for any of us to be ready, even though it's been almost a year. Still discussing where he will eventually settle but the place of choice at the moment is Malham Cove.
Liz
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Are you from Yorkshire Liz.?
LizG

Post by LizG »

Yes Moh. I was born in Bradford, moved to Barnoldswick when I was about 7 and then to Australia when I was 13.
Liz
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

A Yorkshire lass then ...

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”