Where Have You Just Been?

BillHowcroft
Donor

Re: Where Have You Just Been?

Post by BillHowcroft »

Serendipitously today turns out to be the 90th anniversary of the first well logging by the Schlumberger brothers in Pechelbronn Alsace. I mentioned my holiday visit on the intranet and a nice Frenchman posted back a photo of the copper bath full of debris and electrical instruments. http://www.slb.com/about/history/1920s.aspx http://www.slb.com/about/history/1920s.aspx
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: (Bill, in case you're wondering what I find funny in your reply the reason for the smiley is that I use it to signal that I have read a post but don't necessarily have a valid response.)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Porto, for the 20th wedding anniversary. Never been to Portugal before. Enjoyed the place very much. It rises steeply from the banks of the Douro River - very steeply! Derelict house blocks/tenements, pastel-coloured sit next to swish done up ones, all nested in a maze of alleys. Very atmospheric. There is for those who are interested, a H Potter connection: JK Rowling lived in Porto for 2 years as an English teacher. One particular bookshop influenced some of the Hogwarts descriptions – it’s an architectural gem, the shop. And the students in Porto wear a formal black with a black cape thrown over the shoulder. I would recommend the place. It was also cheap given £/Euro parity (more or less).

Richard Broughton
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Are those little custard tarts as good as all the visiting celebrity chefs say? Did you hear any Fado - I think it's a bit of an acquired taste despite Rick Stein pretending to like it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Tripps – I can say with certainty that the custard tarts are indeed as good as they say they are, and look. Delicious! They also have a good sausage called the alheira – smoked with paprika it’s almost paste-like and made from pheasant, chicken, quail, rabbit and the like. No pork as it was made by the Jews who during their persecution were identifiable by not taking sausages to the smokehouses. The Porto dish is francesinha, a sandwich of bread, steak, sausage and cheese all in a tomato and beer sauce with an egg (fried) on top. That’s right, it’s as daunting as it sounds! We had some elvers in one place, as we’d never had them, as well as goose barnacles (percebes), which Rick Stein had I think when he popped to Lisbon. They’re good.

Heard no fado, though there were flyers up for places that had fado evenings. But apparently, Porto has no fado tradition. It’s a Lisbon thing and so any evenings would lack authenticity (at least that’s what my guidebook said).

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't help wondering what the equivalents are in Barlick Richard. Comparatively we are well down in the development stakes...... Perhaps too busy keeping warm!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Stew an’ ‘ard in Barlick I would have thought, Stanley. And mighty fine it is too. I do like a good stew, in this sense.

Back when I was living in London, I was a member of Harlequins Rugby Club. They contrived to get relegated from the top league during this time and in the lower league played Otley. On the supporter forum, folk were planning the trip to Otley and asking about routes there and where to stay and eat. I suggested that a good route might be M40/M6/M65 and over the top to the A59 at Gisburn. Because, as I noted, the Rising Sun at Blacko did stew and hard for lunch and this was a rare delicacy to be experienced. Some were rather taken by this, and I do wonder whether some time back a load of Londoners pitched up on a Saturday lunch wanting stew and hard on the recommendation of an exiled local.

Richard Broughton
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Bruff wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 08:53 Stew an’ ‘ard in Barlick I would have thought, Stanley. And mighty fine it is too. I do like a good stew, in this sense.

Because, as I noted, the Rising Sun at Blacko did stew and hard for lunch and this was a rare delicacy to be experienced.
Richard Broughton
I didn't know that and my friend lives in the end house on the same block, about 4 doors away, so we usually visit The Rising Sun whenever I stay with him. It would be just like him to treat us to lunch and take us for stew and hard as a joke. We're both married to Chinese ladies so I wonder what our wives would make of that local delicacy?

Incidentally, I remember taking the MD of one of our suppliers to a pub lunch in Bury and ordering steak and cow heel pie. He wasn't amused and thought I was taking the mickey. Best pie I ever had! Next time we went out together he insisted he was choosing the lunch venue!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Richard, I doubt if you could find stew and hard in Barlick these days. See Jim Pollard in the LTP for oatcake bakeries using a bake-stone....
The UCP used to sell Steak and heel pie in Stockport when I was a lad. I didn't know it was Cow-heel, I thought it was Eels!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Bremetenacum - Ribchester Roman Museum. We took the grandchildren down this afternoon. Ruby is studying the Romans at the moment at school. 30 years or more since we went last with our kids when they were small. The museum has been completely redeveloped since then and is well presented with time line presentations including an interactive 3D scale representation of the fort and adjacent Roman village that you can wander round. Outside you can visit the ruins of the grain storage buildings and the Roman Bath House down near the river. A good afternoon out, kids enjoyed it and hopefully learnt a little more.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ribchester was a favourite retirement place for old soldiers who started farms there. There could be a genetic legacy in the area..... Interesting place.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When I was a child we used to go to Ribchester and play on a bit of pebble beach where a brook comes in opposite a small island. It was just upstream from where the museum is now.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Yesterday we had a ride out to Airton near Malham to look at the Town End Farm Shop & Cafe as seen on Tom Kerridge's Top of the Shop (tonight at 8pm).We had lunch there which was very nice, but rather big portions. They have a very nice and varied menu plus a specials board. There are some nice things in the shop area, a little expensive, we bought the new season's asparagus and some Yorkshire chorizo. Well worth a visit.
One thing I noticed was the absence of swallows in the villages and the lanes, they are usually flying about around the dales. Probably they have lost a lot of their nesting places due to barns being developed.
Say only a little but say it well.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Moh, nice to see your post. Glad you enjoyed your trip out. :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We have no swallows around here yet this year Moh.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Morning Moh.... Yes, the swallows are very late this year. Interesting that you noted the same thing in the Dales.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Went to London weekend gone, and saw Hamlet at The Globe. The new artistic director cast herself as Hamlet, along with a female Horatio. It chucked it down and thankfully we were under cover – folk standing got drenched. But that’s The Globe, you know what you’re in for. Stayed a couple of nights near Petticoat Lane. That area has changed. It’s flipping expensive London these days. I lived there a while and it always was more expensive than anywhere else, but it seems to have accelerated since we left.

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought that 60 years ago Richard and have no doubt I'd be shocked if I went there today. To be honest, I hated the place.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

Depending where you went Stanley you might surprise yourself. Ignoring the obvious obscene wealth and wealth disparity there is a very real radical edge to the city and it is a Labour town (last night notwithstanding). As you turn onto Bethnal Green Road from Brick Lane there is in front of you, covering a gable end, a huge quote: ‘if we all spit, we’ll drown the b******s. RIP Bob Crow’. Further up the road there’s another gable end with a swarm of bees beautifully drawn and words ‘when we go we’re taking you lot with us’. Such stuff is everywhere.

In Hoylake we have ‘Tories Out’ on a gable end which the owner, who didn't paint it, refuses to have scrubbed off…..

Richard Broughton
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're probably right Richard. My points of contact in London were the dockers and bureaucracy..... Perhaps not the best ways to make an assessment!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yesterday, Malham Safari, this years theme "Around the World in 80 Days". It was rammed when we approached the village, so much so that a second field had to be opened up for parking, the one on the right entering the village was marked as full so we parked on the hilly field on the right. I noticed that this field has had a lot of drainage put in and it looks like a modern field barn on the other side of the hill may be being converted into toilets. I was wondering if this was going to become a camping field? Gold mine if that is the case.

Anyway, we found all the animals after our trail around the back lanes of the village and we counted and made our estimate of how many balloon markers were spread around the village. Lots of games and a band on the village green, we got back from our trail just in time to buy our ducks for the race at 3pm. £1 each or 4 for £3 so we went for the latter, 389 - 392. We made our way down near the finish to wait in anticipation but I'm afraid all ours were no shows. We had a Billy Bob's (Yorkshire Dales) Ice Cream while we were waiting for the flotilla. After the race Ruby had a good paddle in the beck as the event was powering down for the day. We put our safari entry into one of the boxes provided but are not holding our breath. Smashing day as usual and lots more events and stuff to do that we didn't quite get round to, very warm in the sunshine, a belting day as usual.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely.... And there was me having a lazy day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wasn't sure where to post this but I've just been on hols in Cornwall and visited Tintagel. We often go there but this time it was rather different - access to the castle, island and beach was closed due to engineering works, which was a disappointment. We especially went at low tide to see the beach, caves and geology. On the other hand we got the chance to see how they were tackling the problem of getting materials onto the island which is separated from the main cliffs by a deep chasm. Even getting stuff onto the cliffs is difficult because there's no road access so lorries have to go down the narrow valley lane towards the beach then have their load lifted up and onto the cliffs. The following pics show how it's being done....

Here's where a cement lorry has just unloaded into the red hopper...

The hopper is hoisted up by this machine to the overhead wires...

Here it goes, up the valley side in front of the hotel which faces across the valley to Tintagel castle...

Here it's reached the wires and begins to be drawn along them towards the castle cliff...

The next three photos show the hopper moving to, and through, the pylons on the cliff...

The final photo was taken from the other (hotel) side of the valley and shows a hopper which has passed through the pylons at the outer ward of the castle, which is on the mainland cliff, and then it will pas over the chasm to the inner ward on the island. All quite spectacular - and probably expensive too!

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gosh. Where there's a will, there's a way.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Interesting subject and good photos. Was that set up erected specially for this job?

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”