WHO WILL YOU LEAVE YOUR HARD DRIVE TO?

elise

WHO WILL YOU LEAVE YOUR HARD DRIVE TO?

Post by elise »

"... Item, I give unto my wife my second best bed with the furniture."
The most famous item from an English will. If Mr Shakespeare had had a computer, who would he have left his hard drive to?
Who will you?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHO WILL YOU LEAVE YOUR HARD DRIVE TO?

Post by Stanley »

Several people already have mine as a back-up. No secrets on it....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

The bin man?

(Or rather, whatever recycling regime is in place when I pop off.)

The timescales for present day obsolescence in recording stuff doesn't bode well for posterity.

Aren't Acts of Parliament recorded on vellum?
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Never even considered it Elise. Don't think there is anything on mine that would be of any value to someone else. (Apart from the Earby History Soc. accounts...must do a back up!)
The only items that I have ever considered leaving in a personal bequest are a few original paintings which I know my son wouldn't appreciate but my niece would.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

No-one. I shall put a hammer through my storage devices and throw them in the bath overnight when I get the death knock.
My only child is not the least bit interested in family history or old photos. I do Ancestry only to know where I came from and who was significant in MY life, as he has made it clear he has no interest whatsoever. I respect his wishes. ( his loss in my opinion as I have always found history exciting and interesting)
I would rather destroy all I have discovered than leave it to anyone who found it a burden.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

When I disposed of our previous computers I had to be careful because we'd been running a business and there would be customers' details on them. Deleting the data isn't sufficient because a `ghost' remains that can be accessed by anyone with the right software. So our hard drives got the hammer treatment. I don't know whether re-formatting the disk can completely eradicate data or does that still leave a ghost impression, I wonder? At least the hammer treatment gives a visual confirmation of success!

Now that Mrs Tiz's father has dementia and has gone into the nursing home we've got his PC and we're having to go through it to sort out things like subscriptions, receipts etc especially because we have to sell the house and you know how demanding solicitors have become, wanting evidence for everything connected with the house. What struck me first was how unfriendly and troublesome Microsoft Windows is compared with Linux! In the future we might have to leave our computer to a nominated person so that they can access the data to allow all the necessary processes to take place after death or mental decline.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Mine will be left for someone to smash with a hammer.

Goodness knows what will happen to all those emails. I don't tend to delete them until the box needs a purge
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When Kev got my FM2 machine he also got the hard drive content. No problem if you trust people, he said he's re-format and that was good enough for me.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”