May I recommend. . .

Tripps
VIP Member

May I recommend. . .

Post by Tripps »

I think we need a new topic. Let's try this. Could be used for all kinds of things.

I've been following Robin Page's weekly blog for a few weeks now. He is a local farmer, self confessed 'peasant', and general thorn in the side of the establishment. Just my sort of bloke. :smile:

https://skylarkwarrior.wordpress.com/20 ... ropaganda/
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: May I recommend. . .

Post by Stanley »

Good idea David, I hope it catches on!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

We're struggling here. :smile:

Try Freeview Ch 306 for old films. Just watched a 'short' by John Schlesinger - I think it's called 'Terminus'. Part documentary, part staged with actors. A day in the life of Waterloo Station in 1961. You can taste the smoke. Fascinating to see the differences in things and people.

It's also on youtube Terminus
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Check 'Breaking beaver dams' on Youtube.... Better than the old potter's wheel for passing time!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've just posted a link on another thread to an excellent TV programme,`Scotland's Vital Spark: The Clyde Puffer'. It's available here on iPlayer: LINK

Another programme I'll recommend is `Chaucer's Astrolabe - The Medieval GPS': LINK
"Philip Ball tells the story of Chaucer's Astrolabe and why the famed poet came to write the world's first scientific instruction manual. In the Middle Ages, no self respecting astronomer would be without an Astrolabe, a pocket sized device for working out the movements of the planets and stars. So how did a poet come to write the first user booklet? This story shows Chaucer in a new light: as a pre-eminent astronomer, and offers a new key to unlocking his most famous literary works."

Another good one is `Chameleon' in the Natural Histories series: LINK
"Brett Westwood spots a chameleon and investigates how this master of disguise has led us to ask big questions about how we adapt to the environments we find ourselves in. John Keats coined the term 'the camelion poet' to describe a curiosity to explore situations and settings outside of usual experience that may be at odds with expected morals and personality. He argued that being chameleon was to take on poetic guises separate from the 'self'. Shakespeare was said to embody his characters to the extent that it was hard to know his own personality. Throughout his life, David Bowie was described as a 'musical chameleon' but was frustrated at the description, while the poet Jack Mapanje embraced the chameleon's ability to camouflage and used it as a way of voicing his political views under a cloak of ambiguity in his collection 'Of Chameleons and Gods'. Brett talks to reptile expert Rob Pilley, colouration scientist Devi Stuart-Fox, poet Jack Mapanje, English lecturer Stacey McDowell, sociologist Eoin Devereux and folklore expert Marty Crump. Readings by Finlay Robertson and Michael Flanders. Producer: Tom Bonnett."
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've watched the puffer documentary three times now. I love those little boats.

I was intrigued by the fact she was wrecked off Eigg, made a few enquiries and Mary and I went looking for her in 1988. She's here in a cave on the NE coast of Eigg. Accessible only at low tide....

Is that sad or what?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I have recently become a fan of "The Fat Emporer", Ivor Cummins, an engineer from Ireland who is fighting to get the low carb/healthy fat message across. Here is his review of Dr Jason Fung's new book on the benefits of fasting.
Link

It's worth having a look at some of the other links on the same page.....
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:goodidea:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Having a vested interest in this subject - I looked at the link. Getting to any meaningful information was outside my web attention span. :smile: Fasting isn't an option for me I'm afraid.
Your menus seem good and sensible to me. I did a deal with my GP, in September last year, to lose 5 lbs by Christmas - haven't achieved it yet and it's nearly Christmas again. On the plus side - I'm not any heavier. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Smaller plates David?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps, have a look at this article about reversing diabetes and weight loss. Link
I believe the 30 day low carb programme on this website is the one Big Kev followed when he lost weight and reduced his hba1c. They have recently reported that 140,000 people have followed the programme, saving the NHS approx 4 million pounds on diabetic drugs. All you have to remember is that type 2 diabetes is carbohydrate intolerance....your body can no longer cope with glucose, it is stored as fat or causes high blood sugar which has disastrous effects on your body.
I'm not diabetic but having eaten this way for 10 months I now weigh 8st 8lbs, never feel hungry or lacking in energy and really enjoy my food! Colin has turned his health around completely....what isn't to like! :grin:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote:Tripps, have a look at this article about reversing diabetes and weight loss. Link
I believe the 30 day low carb programme on this website is the one Big Kev followed when he lost weight and reduced his hba1c. They have recently reported that 140,000 people have followed the programme, saving the NHS approx 4 million pounds on diabetic drugs. All you have to remember is that type 2 diabetes is carbohydrate intolerance....your body can no longer cope with glucose, it is stored as fat or causes high blood sugar which has disastrous effects on your body.
I'm not diabetic but having eaten this way for 10 months I now weigh 8st 8lbs, never feel hungry or lacking in energy and really enjoy my food! Colin has turned his health around completely....what isn't to like! :grin:
That looks like the one I followed, I lost 3 stone over about 4 months and have kept it off since March. I eat fairly low carb all the time now with the emphasis on low sugar, any carbs I do eat I have earlier in the day, porridge for breakfast or a full English at the weekend. I eat sweet potato instead of ordinary spuds as well.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It works for me as well David. I am no longer regarded as Type 2 but pre-diabetic.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks all for the replies. Small plates - been standard practice for years.
I downloaded the recipe book. Actually for the 'mains' it is quite similar to my present regime, and several of the recipes are in my current repertoire. It's a bit American for me though, and I never see why we have to imitate the bad diet - such as quiche with pastry, and cakes for puds. I don't eat cakes period. ( I also don't understand why vegetarians imitate meat, with pseudo burgers , sausages , mince etc. )

I don't use margarine or butter at all, and I dated the last bag of sugar I bought on Dec 5th 2015. Just a sprinkle on the porridge, and it lasted 11 months.

I had a guest last Monday, and we went for a pub meal. Fish chips and peas, and a small pud. Half of lager, and later half a bottle of wine. A rare occurrence - I put on 3 lbs by Wednesday. I weigh myself every morning. Ten days later - back on the path, I've lost 2 of them.

Onwards and downwards. . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a bugger isn't it David! 'Everything I do is either illegal, immoral or fattening.....' Discuss.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yes indeed - I may yet have to resort to the Stuart's steak pudding, meat pie, Bergen butty, and mutton stew diet. Seems to work for some people. I think it's helpful to own a dog as well though, and that's most unlikely. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Are you eating plenty of fat Tripps or are you still being advised to stick to low fat?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sorry to butt in but I'd like to draw attention to the following for anyone with British Gas as their energy supplier. Mrs Tiz gets the free emailed newsletters from MoneySavingsExpert.com which give lots of tips. In the latest one they describe a tip they've been giving on TV and which has saved money for a lot of folk. It's no use to us because we don't have a gas supply. Basically it's because BG offer the same but under the Sainsbury's brand and it's a lot cheaper. Here's the details from the email:

British Gas customer? Martin's got a trick to save you £167 a year ( https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/che ... eeklyemail )
-----------------------------------------------------------------

It has a 16% cheaper tariff under another name. If you've not switched in a year, this is a no-brainer (https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/che ... eeklyemail )

It's Martin here. I've a quick trick for all British Gas gas & electricity customers - especially those with it out of loyalty or who can't be bothered to switch. I've mentioned it on TV in the last couple of weeks, to a phenomenal response, eg, MonteCristo tweeted: "@MartinSLewis ( https://twitter.com/MartinSLewis ) just switched electricity and gas for my 90 yr old nan from British Gas to Sainsbury's, which is BG. Saved £329, cheers."

*( https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/che ... eeklyemail )Sainsbury's Energy is British Gas under another name, but FAR cheaper. BG licenses Sainsbury's Energy and sells its wares under it. Yet in reality it's the same firm, same gas, same electricity, same service & same safety. The call centre's separate, but that's still run by BG, and all of its smart meters are compatible. Yet price-wise based on typical use...

- BG standard tariff (66% of people are on standard tariffs): £1,044/yr

- Sainsbury's cheapest is its Price Promise Nov 2017 ( https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/che ... eeklyemail ): £877/yr. Plus as it's a fix, the rate's locked in for a year (though cost depends on usage) - useful as price hikes are predicted. It's available (not in NI) for dual fuel only on direct debit, with £20/fuel exit fees.

As far as we can see, in every region and at every usage level it's cheaper than British Gas's standard tariff. It's also far cheaper than any other British Gas tariff currently available, though past MSE British Gas collective tariffs are cheaper. So just flick across to it - don't worry, there's no downtime, your gas/elec stays on, and barring the price there's little practical difference.

*How to get it and grab an extra £30 cashback. You could just call up, but as cost varies by region/usage, the best way is to do a quick comparison ( https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/che ... r/toppicks ) to see your exact price & saving and compare it with others. This link takes you to our Cheap Energy Club 'top picks' page, which includes Sainsbury's so it's easy to find. Plus you get £30 cashback which you WON'T GET if you go direct to Sainsbury's.

Q. I'm not with British Gas - can I get it? Yes, but why not switch to the comparison's overall winner?

Q. What if I've got exit penalties on my BG tariff? It won't charge them if you switch to Sainsbury's.

Q. Is it cheaper than BG 'HomeEnergy free elec on Saturdays/Sundays' deal? Here, you pay the same £1,044/yr rate as standard but get 8 hours' free elec a week; roughly 4% of a week. Sainsbury's is 16% less.

* If you're willing to switch firm you can save MORE. Even Sainsbury's Energy isn't that cheap. Take 5 mins to do the comparison ( https://clubs.moneysavingexpert.com/che ... /register/ )
and you can save far more. Eg, the cheapest tariff on typical use is £822/year. Or check Green Star unlimited ( http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilit ... t-any-good ), which fixes the price regardless of what you use. More help in Cheap gas & elec ( http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilit ... lectricity ).

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I reckon this is probably the best place for this. One of my sons is going to write a book prompted by encouragement from a lot of people. It started with pictures and comments he'd posted on social media involving his son, these are very witty snippets of short (imaginary) conversation between the two of them.
He has set up a blog on Facebook to gauge reaction from a wider audience #DadDad there's not much in the blog at the minute as he only started it today but it will be worth a look. You can see the earlier #DadDad conversations on his personal Facebook page (if privacy permissions allow) here

For those of you who don't use Facebook here's an example of a #DadDad post
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:grin:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote:Are you eating plenty of fat Tripps or are you still being advised to stick to low fat?
Actually I'm not being advised by anyone. I just do what seems sensible (and tolerable). :smile:
That does tend towards low fat though. No chip pan here, and any frying is done in a cast iron frying pan with all excess poured off. No pastry or cake, but occasional bread - a ciabatta roll, or a Bergen / Vogel type loaf. A lot of veg - Maz would approve I'm sure. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I love the Facebook post.... there's a talent in there....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Very funny, Kev. I wish him lots of success, people enjoy humour involving kids.
Talking of that, one of my relatives yesterday told me how his teenage daughter can hear him open a beer can from the other end of the house. She keeps a check on him and if she hears two cans she tells him `You'll get drunk'. It's funny because he drinks very little alcohol and you'll never see him inebriated, never mind drunk!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:I love the Facebook post.... there's a talent in there....
Thank you, I will pass on your encouragement.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I just came across his site. Radio Garden

Speaking as someone who made a living out of listening to the wireless, not too many years ago - it's quite amazing (literally). Some improvement is needed - for instance, a better map to know exactly where you are , and some method of saving interesting finds, but I'm sure that will develop.

I've linked it to Burnley just as an example. The whole world is available.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego

Return to “General Miscellaneous Chat & Gossip”