WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

I am glad the event itself went well but still say that away from the venue, levels of broken glass and general litter and evidence of boozing was much higher that normal. Perhaps the tight controls at the Town Square moved part of the problem elsewhere?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Guardian report of the news that Roseanne Barr, one of Trumps favourite TV shows, has been pulled after tweeting some awful racist stuff.... I'm not too interested in her but wonder at the climate Trump has engendered where she could even think such abhorrent thoughts let alone tweet them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

The small boy, left home alone by a negligent Dad, and left to his own devices, fell from a 6th floor balcony to a 4th floor balcony, and managed to cling on until rescued. Dad had "gone shopping" and "stayed out to play Pokemon". ( France)
Child is now in care. ( I am thankful for that)
I can't tell you how angry this makes me..
( I feel like knocking that father, in the head, with a chair!).
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We hear shocking news from Australia, Maz. Apparently a survey of businessmen showed that many of them only wear a pair of underpants once and then bin them, they never put them in the wash - but they didn't tell us how long they wore each pair! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hardly on the same par, Tizzy...the choice of wearing undies once hardly compares to leaving vulnerable children home alone to face all kinds of peril .. Shame on you, my friend.
I can't believe you would compare such things...
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is the problem with forums, it's easy to give someone the wrong impression - and I've done it here. I wasn't making any comparison, Maz. I'd read your post and didn't have anything useful to add to it, you'd said what needed saying. But my mind moved on and seeing one of our Aussie friends posting reminded me of the Australian underpants news item I'd heard on the radio and thought it was amusing enough for OG.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Fair enough...
I can't stay cross at you Tiz...
But I think the Underpant thing is "fake news".
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I didn't think this was even possible Train gets 'lost'

I immediately thought of this extract from Harold Evans, book describing his father's career on the railways. I doubt it would have happened then. :smile:

From “My paper Chase” by Harold Evans. b.1928. Editor Sunday Times 1967 - 1981

The job my father had when I was born, Engine Cleaner, was a bigger deal than it sounds. It was the first rung on a very long but well coveted ladder to becoming a locomotive driver.
Train drivers were an aristocracy among the working classes. They had a job for life, the social esteem which came with security, and better-than-average pay. The downside was that the job was brutally hard in its physical and mental demands.The hours of work were horrible – 2 a.m. one week, 3 p.m. the next, then 5 a.m. another. It was a matter of pride to my father that he never needed the knocker-up to rapa on the window with his long pole (a long gone profession from the days when alarm clocks were uncommon). But the shifts meant that week to week we were asleep when he was up and he was asleep when we were up.

The railway historian Frank Mckenna observed that 'the eyes of a footplate man appear to be a decade younger than the rest of his physique'. Dad's were striking deep in his sockets. Perfect eyesight and physical fitness were demanded of an Engine Cleaner as of the driver. A slight fall-off in the eyesight test, a hint of colour blindness or physical limitation, and a drive would be demoted to sweeping the sheds, or shunting wagons in the freight yard or cleaning lavatories, or dismissed altogether. Dad was so sensitive about his fine vision that he would not hear of it when as a teenager I thought I was becoming short sighted. I was, but he was in a state of denial I didn't understand at the time. Now I see that the eye rolling exercises I picked up from a book by an Indian doctor would have alarmed anyone.

Every schoolboy then might have wanted to become an engine driver, but there was no glamour in the first step. On his night shift, among other dirty jobs, Dad as an Engine Cleaner had to go under the engine and climb into the dark belly of the beast to oil the big ends of te pistons, fearfully trusting that nobody would move the engine (as occasionally some lunatic did). It was several years of this before he was tested for work on the footplate (that is in the open cab), first qualifying as a Passed Cleaner, which carried the prospect of some turns as a fireman. What back breaking work! I have a mental picture of my father coming home, exhausted from an all night firing job on a goods train, keeping a foothold on the rocking engine while hour after hour shovelling coal from the tender, maybe six tons of it, and hurling it through the small firehole into the right places in the firebox to raise the necessary steam pressure. 'Where's my steam?' was the yell no fireman wanted to hear from his driver.
In time the Passed Cleaner could hope to become a Red Ink Fireman, on the footplate for a few months, then all being well, a Black Ink Fireman, on the rosters for regular firing; and finally Passed Fireman, tested to drive any train in his depot. As a Red Ink Driver he would be on the roster for driving in holiday periods, and the eventually a Black Ink Driver, the top of the ladder. No other craft or profession exacted such a lengthy 'apprenticeship'. Dad carefully annotated the details of every driving turn he acquired. It typically took twenty years to get there. 'Dead man's Shoes,' said Dad.

A driver could not take a train on a route until he knew its every particularity – the siting of every , the sounds and shadows that might guide him in fog or snowstorm when visibility was near zero, the shape of every curve in the track, the length and darkness of every tunnel, the trickiness of every ascent where extra steam and sand might be needed, the location of every set of points where they might be switched to a different line. They called this familiarisation 'learning the road' and Dad learned many roads, rattling most happily along the North Wales coast where many years later at Bluebell wood cemetery at Coed Bell in Prestatyn he was to find his final resting place.

Drivers and fireman were subject to strict military discipline and it was easy to see why. A railwayman who did not read, memorize and follow the hundreds of regulations in the precious Rule Book risked his own life, his workmates' and the lives of several hundred passengers. Dad knew the Rule Book back to front. In the kitchen, testing himself, he'd ask questions rhetorically: What do you do with a runaway train on a hill or a train slipping back? How in an emergency do you signal to the guard at the back of the train? If you pass through facing points onto a curve, what is the safe speed? What of you have to run backwards?
What's the right thing to do if there's an obstruction on the line, an uprooted sleeper, a snowdrift? If you run out of steam, what lights do you lay down on the track and where?

The work ethic was puritanical – clean overalls, no drink, no swearing, no smoking on duty, and no tolerance of misdemeanours. If he as ten minutes late at the shed, he risked being sent home with the warning thatnext time he would be fired. I remember a railway inspector coming round to our house to see if Dad had taken home one of the high qualityhand rags issued to footplate crews for oiling work. He hadn't – he knew better.

We worried about my father's daily risks. Usually he came home chuckling over some incident It was ominous when he didn't:
'What's the matter Dad?'
'Something terrible'
'But what?'
'Bad accident'
'What kind of accident'
'Finish your tea'

We'd eventually discover that a platelayer had lost a leg, a shunter had been crushed between wagons. A fireman had been scalded, a driver had been killed walking across a track to check a frozen signal. His own most common affliction was grit in the eye, looking out of his open cabat speed: there was no protective eye shield for footplatemen.

He tried to educate his union – the Associated Society of Locomotive Engineers and Firemen, not always to campaign for wage increases but to aim for medical benefits and for decent pensions, pointing out that an extra shilling or two now would be better invested for retirement. But he never could persuade them, so when he did retire, his pension sfter fifty years was seven shillings a week,(about £3 at today's values).

In the early 1930's the composition of the manpower at LMS Newton Heath sheds way across the other side of Manchester offered a better prospect of graduating from Passed Cleaner to Red Ink Fireman. Newton Heath was a very big depot with over 200 locomotives.
Also of some relevance was Dad's passion for football: he never saw a ball he didn't want to dribble around an imaginary fullback, and scorning players who could not shoot with both feet, drilled us hard on that. Naturally he liked the idea that Newton Heath loco sheds
Were the birthplace of a football team- not any old team but The Heathens, a bunch of railwaymen who managed to get into the Football League, nearly went bankrupt, then did rather better after 1902 when they changed their name to Manchester United.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The total idiot who nearly took out Sally and our three grandchildren on Higher Lane this afternoon. Sally was driving back to Barlick with the kids after visiting Barley this afternoon. Just past the top of Salterforth Drag on the double bend she was confronted by an oncoming speeding driver cutting the corners, she had to slam on to avoid a head on collision. He was going too fast to avoid shattering the offside mirror on our car, he didn't stop of course and it was all too fast for Sally to get the reg or even the make of the car. Could have been a whole different story, thankfully only a busted mirror which can be replaced. :furious3:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just a heads up for anyone heading over Harrogate way https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/ne ... ll-closed
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 30 May 2018, 20:36 The total idiot who nearly took out Sally and our three grandchildren on Higher Lane this afternoon. Sally was driving back to Barlick with the kids after visiting Barley this afternoon. Just past the top of Salterforth Drag on the double bend she was confronted by an oncoming speeding driver cutting the corners, she had to slam on to avoid a head on collision. He was going too fast to avoid shattering the offside mirror on our car, he didn't stop of course and it was all too fast for Sally to get the reg or even the make of the car. Could have been a whole different story, thankfully only a busted mirror which can be replaced. :furious3:
Some people have no idea of the consequences of their bad driving...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And some can't even drive..... That's why I chucked my licenses into touch ten years ago. The buggers frighten me.....
David, Harold Evans extract is typical of something written by a son who didn't understand the work ethic then. He doesn't mention that being a driver was one of the best jobs around and highly coveted. Top Link drivers were aristocracy.
THIS got my attention. The Scottish government is to provide free sanitary products to all Scottish low income families, ending 'Period Poverty'. Well done the Scottish government. What a humane and sensible policy, cots bugger all and will have a wonderful impact.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I decided last year that I wouldn't use the top road to Barlick. The 'I know this road' mentality appears to be more ingrained than its ever been. Of course the transport situation has been aggravated with the long standing bottle necks through Colne. I heard North Valley road being described as 'the long car park'.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Are we speaking of the road which I took from Burnley via Barrowford to Barlick, when I visited - was it really five years ago? I remember commenting afterwards on the reckless driving of many drivers going the other way, and several members agreed with me. No change then?
Stanley wrote: 31 May 2018, 02:32 a son who didn't understand the work ethic
That's odd - I got exactly the opposite impression. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I used the top road daily for 10 years when I worked in Burnley. No real problem but I do make a point of driving on my own side of the road! Not saying I didn't meet idiots coming the other way, usually the ones like Sally met yesterday. They in variable are going too fast for the conditions or the layout of the road and don't seem to have any comprehension of how wide their vehicles are. There is a white line down the centre of the carriageway all the way from Barlick to Barrowford which generally means it is wide enough for two normal sized vehicles but not if one is straddling it which seems to be the norm for a lot of drivers.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, what I meant and no doubt expressed badly was that hard conditions at work and long hours were the norm in those days. It looks horrendous today but was par for the course then.... Same syndrome crops up when we are told how badly people smelt in those days. Funny thing is we never noticed!
I reckon the biggest problem on narrow roads is drivers who lack spatial awareness, they don't know where the near side of the vehicles is and so give the side of the road too much room. They should try it in a maximum size wagon...... Tightest road I had to use regularly round here was the road from Rough Lee over Stang top to Blacko Bar. Just coming out of Rough Lee I had 1/2" clearance on the bends between the wagon and the wall.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Too many important matters to single one out! Best thing to do is accept what you can't change and get on with your own knitting! I remember two years ago when we speculated on whether Brexit would be the major topic...... I think we all know the answer to that now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The water ingress in my cellar following the downpour yesterday. Nowhere near as much as there was before UU fixed the broken drain further up the street but enough to warrant me going over the floor with a mop.

The flooding at Long Ing yesterday was a major concern for those that live there, the new Kensington Forest development has removed the ability of the ground to soak up water. There were a few of us there sandbagging and sweeping the run off into the drains.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry to hear that Kev, on the cellar and the flooding as well. Similar circumstances to the July 1932 flood in Barlick but nowhere near as bad. These exceptional weather events are on the increase and we will see more of them. Funny how I am reminded of when Cameron said that money was no object when he had to face the floods in the South..... I wonder whether that promise was kept.

Mo brought me a Cuban Cigar..... I committed heresy, minced it up and mixed it with my pipe tobacco. I shall smoke every bit of it and it's nice......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A bold and fearless pigeon walked into our barn and took up residence yesterday afternoon. I tried to scare it away as the cats were very interested and ready to pounce, it flew off for a while but came back and settled high up on a beam. It's not ringed but very used to humans, dogs and cats!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I go to the Doc's this morning and he will tell me if my new pills are working......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The good news is that Hassan says I am fine and doing better than his father who is the same age, he says my BP figures are perfect. The bad news is that this means I am on the Ramipril until I die! I suppose I have to accept this and be grateful that it is available.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jim Alkalili's programme 'The Life Scientific' on R4. He was talking to a lady who is an expert on immune response in the body and as always it was fascinating.
It was broad daylight under a clear sky at 22:00 when I went to bed. Only a fortnight to go before the longest day......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Chris Aspin's latest book, 'When Rossendale Led the World' dropped through my letter box. (www. palatinebooks.com) It's good and well worth a punt!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

6-25 pm Something big burning in Colne. Down in the valley somewhere. Could be round the petrol station area.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by plaques on 07 Jun 2018, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”