WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

In the early days when we had a knob on the front of the set to control colour my Mother always watched in Black and White. I asked her why and she said "The endings of the films are better". There's a strange logic to that if you think back to the early films......
The unqualified support that floods in if you have an adverse diagnosis. Particularly from the youngsters. I can remember when the 'C' word was avoided like Leprosy. Attitudes seem to have changed and it is definitely for the better. Onward and upwards! Excelsior!
Later, Today is the anniversary of Kristallnacht in 1938. Thinking about the apparent rise in anti-Semitism we would do well to take note. A sad day for Jewish people worldwide.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

These poppies, about 700, were made by members of the local WI (including Mrs Tiz) and will be exhibited on the `Welcome pillar' in the church at Trull, Somerset.

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Shocked to learn that a lad that Sally used to work with on installation when she worked for the Christmas decorations firm (LDJ Design and Display) has died. Ian Wells was the team leader that organised all the machinery and plant required for the big installations in the shopping centres. We found out via Facebook that Ian died some time last night, "defending his home from burglars". No further information yet but it's not right, can't get my head around that. Ian was a proper genuine hard working bloke and liked by everyone he worked with.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I came across this Lest we forget today. I wonder if the Geordie Mafia's model is finished yet. :smile:

If so I'd love to see it.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's terrible Ian.....
I shall enquire about it David......
THIS new research into the earliest dates for American occupation by humans. Existing theories are having to be re-examined.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

LizG

Post by LizG »

Another terrorist attack in Melbourne yesterday. The footage is dreadful.
Liz
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Widely reported over here Liz, I thought of all of you. It's unbelievable that people can be so wicked or deranged....
I forgot to mention yesterday how pleased I was to see that the Barlick in Bloom team have had a result for all their efforts. Another Gold Medal....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Today is the official re-opening of the newly refurbished Sensory Garden, part of the memorial Gardens on Kelbrook Road. Another project taken on by the Barlick in Bloom group. A lot of help from contractors with the heavy stuff but a very worthwhile project done throughout the summer and finally come to fruition. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Remembering that Tripps is a chess addict this is a link to the first game of the World chess championships. ChessI like this particular site because it gives some reasoning behind the more complicated moves. Hope you enjoy it Tripps.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Nice of you to remember. :smile: I watched most of the marathon game one, but was out this afternoon, and it was all over when I came back. I flirted with the idea of attending, but after seeing the tickets started at £45 decided it was too much.

Not too sure why I like it - I'm hopeless at actual playing. I first went to a tournament in 1980 at County Hall in London. Phillips and Drew Kings. . Joint sponsors were the GLC - Ken Livingstone was spending up before Mrs T disbanded them. :smile:

Nigel Short was in it - very young and a bit outclassed. We both attended Leigh Tech College don't you know. I kept the race card for ages, the for some unknown reason threw it away.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't think my brain is the right shape for chess..... but I recognise it as being a very high level mental skill.
Remember the young bloke looking for milk early in the morning? He returned the milk later but I never saw him. I met him on the street recently and got a surprise. He thanked me and told me he was a roofer and had noticed I had 'a couple of slates loose and a cracked ridge tile'. All nonsense of course, you can't see my roof as you pass, so I said thanks and no thanks and went on my way. Life is strange isn't it...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another vivid dream last night as part of a good sleep. I woke with every detail in my mind (it revolved round losing a carrier bag full of meat!) Isn't it nice when you suddenly realise that there is nothing to worry about, it was only a dream!
Rising tensions in the Gaza Strip.... Very worrying.
Trump's insensitive accusation of mismanagement of the Californian woods in the middle of the worst wildfires ever recorded in the state. He's not the most subtle man in the world.
I note that a woman has been charged with putting needles into strawberries in Australia. Remember the scare?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, Jack and I were having our walk and then we had a bonus, we ran into P on his way to the dentist's. Lovely seeing him and we both decided that we were in peak condition no matter what the rest of the world says! A nice cheerful encounter.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Badger cull: Vets accuse ministers of 'barefaced lies'' LINK
`Dr Iain McGill, a veterinary surgeon and director of Prion Interest Group, told BBC News that claims by Defra that the badger cull in Somerset and Gloucestershire were working were not supported by scientific evidence. "According to Defra's figures, they claim that they calculated that the incidence [of TB in cattle] has reduced. "But their calculations are unclear and deliberately opaque. And, indeed, the current situation in the cull zone says there is an increased prevalence. So, either their figures were calculated on an extremely inaccurate basis and they've got it very badly wrong, or they have actually gerrymandered those figures to make it look as if the incidence is falling when the evidence clearly shows that the prevalence has gone up. Badger culling has not worked. They are issuing barefaced lies in this matter."...

Trump is also facing further criticism for having bottled out of an Armistice memorial event because it was raining...
`Armistice Day: Growing criticism of Trump WW1 no-show' LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

On my way to the dentist I saw this small black dog taking a man for a walk. It turned out it was Stanley.
PB120009.JPG
I can say that looks very well and is in good spirits. Nothing wrong with his memory, he recognised me immediately. Also his eyesight and agility are first class. He spotted a 10p coin on the ground at 20 paces and what's more comfortably beat me to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I went into the hospital today to have my hearing checked on their fancy digital equipment and my hearing aids uploaded with the latest settings. Now I'm going around asking `What's that strange noise?' It's remarkable how you get used to not hearing things ad it comes as a shock when you get your hearing aids for the first time or your current ones updated. I used to joke about how my dad, when he first got them, was annoyed during the journey home because `The rain's making all that noise on the windscreen!' But now as I type this post the computer keys sound very loud. In a few days I'll be used to it but once more can hear what people are saying. The bird song sounds good too! :smile:

Whilst at the audiologist I picked up an information leaflet from a company called Connevans which is about equipment to help the deaf and hard of hearing. I've now looked at their web site and it's a surprising Alladin's Cave of all sorts of stuff, not just for hard of hearing. It's worth a look...hover your mouse cursor over the banner titles and you'll find they lead to more than you'd expect. For example the one headed `Vision Equipment also has mobile telephones. Connevans
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I came across this photo this evening - raised my spirits - well done Ian.
Mr & Mrs Panbiker.jpg
Hope Gus doesn't mind me 'borrowing' his picture. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was good seeing you P!
Good pic of Ian and Sally, I don't think Gus will mind.....
I heard that piece about the badgers as well Tiz. Coming to something when the vets call the minister a liar! Isn't it marvellous what they can do with hearing aids these days......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'm glad they've finally tracked down one of the people who has been carrying out this type of trick...
`Car crash data thief 'unlucky' to be jailed' LINK
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday at about 5.00am a car crashed into a bus shelter on the main street here in Taunton. Luckily there was nobody in the shelter. The driver was taken to hospital with a head injury. The street was closed or partly closed all day and as a result the traffic was terrible throughout Taunton, with people taking an hour or more to get through the town. All that chaos and disturbance for a one-car accident, surely it could have been back to normal much more quickly?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OG members will remember me complaining about being fined for entering a `bus gate' on the A38, something I'd never heard of (and still can't find in the latest edition of the Highway Code). A news report in the local press last week described how 550 drivers were fined in one day when the M5 was closed due to an accident and people came off the M-way and used the A38. Of course most of them like me wouldn't be familiar with the bus gate and the signs are small and unlike normal highway information signs. Although this is the first time such an incident has been reported in the press it has probably been happening each time the M5 was closed ever since the bus gate was opened.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Unlucky to be gaoled?? These scammers need the book throwing at them!
I agree with you about road closures Tiz, especially a trivial one like you described.
As for the 'bus gate', extra revenue for the Council?
Later.... Early news on BBC that the Shrewsbury Hospital Trust which has been under attack for alleged mismanagement of the Maternity Unit for months has announced that over 200 families have now entered complaints. The general consensus is that this is the worst such event in the history of the NHS. Nothing on the website yet.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A BP reading of 124/77. I told you I was all right!
The fact that as well as POTUS we now have FLOTUS in the US. (LINK
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Breaking news... Raab resigns
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a difference it makes when the kitchen window is clean inside as well as out!
How quickly the time goes when there is intriguing news! :surprised:
The death toll in the 'Camp Fire' which destroyed the town of Paradise looks to be rising, the number of unaccounted people is now over 600. State officials say the eventual total of missing could be even higher.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just read the BET and Mr Stephenson, our MP is at least consistent. His weekly column never, ever, reports on substantive politics!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`'Bleeping' parrot sparks Daventry emergency call-out' LINK

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”