WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Cathy
VIP Member

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Cathy »

Good on ya Ian for your first drive in 11months. Well done :smile:

Berkeley, California. Berkeley ban's gender - specific words.
Changes to take effect in their Autumn.
Manholes will be called "maintenance holes".
Students in Berkeley will have to pledge to "collegiate Greek system residences", instead of sororities or fraternities.
Manmade will become "human - made" or "workforce".
She, her, he and him will be replaced by "they" and "them".
Is all this really necessary?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The London Evening Standard ( nowadays a free sheet and for long time incorporating the London Evening News ) ran a story on how it broke the news of the Men on the Moon. Planned as a colour (rarely done before) feature (colour section printed by outside contractors )and for a Saturday release ( rare it was normally Monday to Friday - I think Churchills Funeral Issue might have been a saturday special ), and selling 1.5Million issues - exceeding its normal print run, there was one thing. It had been prepared in advance of the actual landing and early photos had not been recieved with enough clarity so 'Enhanced Mock-Up Photos' - that I think NASA had previously released or the Standard had agreed some kind of exclusive on, that were imagery of what the situation would look like actually from an angle I dont think was set up from the cameras actually used on the moon, were used - and a small by-line acknowledged this. And the wording was also written in advance. The problem was that this - in part 'Faked News' would have been useless if any real news of disaster on landing or aborting the landing had occured, so a big risk if securely pulping the issue was needed as none were to escape. As the day went on the print run was amended as better quality images from NASA were supplied but the inital use of a Mock-Up Moonscape with Man scene does give fire to those that question the reality of the actual landings. Even so the astronauts and other commentators that said , we went to the moon, but found Earth- probably had it the most correct.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The mock-up problem would be even greater now in the age of computer graphics. What bothers me about the rush to the Moon is that we're not yet even capable of sorting ourselves a peaceful and sustainable life on Earth.
Cathy wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 05:09 Is all this really necessary?
Some such words and phrases do need to be changed eventually but there shouldn't be a rush and a sudden deluge of long-winded alternatives. Do it slowly and find sensible alternatives - and slowly enough that I can pass on without having to trouble myself about it all! :laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The grainy and see through ghostly first images from the moon are often quoted as an indication of faking. The explanation is much more mundane, the B&W cameras were intentionally low resolution as they had limited bandwidth to handle the transfer back to earth. The Hasselblad high definition chest mounted cameras returned the best pictures of course. Later missions used higher definition colour cameras as even in a couple of years the technology had improved to allow them to do so.

On the Apollo 11 landing, earthbound newspapers had a reserved banner headline in case of the ascent engine not firing when activated (it had never been tried of course in zero atmosphere). It simply read "MAROONED"! In that event, Neil and Buz would still be there and Mike Collins would have had to return alone, the welcome would have been totally different to the jubilation shown for the success of the mission.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My attention was drawn by not being able to get another can of the same colour of paint to finish painting the walls of our house. They were in Dulux Weathershield Smooth Cornish Cream when we move here, same as our previous house. I bought a can a couple of months ago to make a start but didn't manage to do it until last week - due to too much rain or heat or wind. Went into B&Q to get another can and couldn't find Cornish Cream. They said they last had it in in April. They have County Cream which might have taken over from the Cornish. But is it the same colour? It looked on the label vaguely similar but without a Cornish label to compare I couldn't be sure. I couldn't find Cornish Cream in other shops I tried and seemed to be out of stock on most web sites too. Tried contacting the Dulux Advice Team by email and they directed me to their web site where I could still order a can of Cornish but with postage it would cost 2.5 times what I'd pay if B&Q had it.

The alternative was to buy the County Cream instead and re-paint what I'd already done. Further email to Dulux finally got them to state that the two colours are quite different. Now I think the County Cream is probably too dark. But I'm still trying to get Dulux to confirm whether Cornish will be available again or if I'm going to be forced to switch. If I have to change then I'll look at other brands for something more like the Cornish colour. I've told Dulux that they need to tell retailers what's going on - Cornish Cream is the colour used widely here and next Spring when people start to repaint their walls they're going to get a shock.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We had a similar problem with the internal emulsion colours that we got for the centre reported in another thread. We initially chose four from a Spring/Summer 2019 Dulux catalogue we had. Rocked up at B&Q and could only find one from four? Got another colour chart, looked the same and had the same date Spring/Summer 2019, new range of colours, similar but different names. Seems like Dulux don't even keep the same colours for a six month spread which is a bit off putting really. Our centre is large and on two floors, multiple rooms and lots to paint. We noticed that there was only £4.00 difference between a 2.5 and 5 litre offering of the same colour, no contest on which we bought.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Day two of back to driving. I will need more practice in reverse uphill parallel parking! A foible of the automatic gearbox in that on the flat it's an absolute doddle as in normal forward drive or reverse the car will "creep" with the only requirement being use of the brake. Uphill is a different kettle of fish as the creep holds it static but you have to use the accelerator to get any movement at all. It can go quite fast in reverse and of course you have no clutch so you need perfect accelerator control especially into a "just a bit of spare" gap. I had two goes and then gave up and found a level parking spot. I err on the side of caution, it's early days and I don't want to bend any of the neighbours cars. :smile: I will have to master it as we tend to park on Bessie St rather than the gable opposite the house. Any damage done to our last car was done by third parties getting the required back street manoeuvring wrong and drunken folk who think the back street is through route. :surprised: :sad:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

How are you with left foot braking Ian? Give it enough on the go pedal to get it moving and control the speed with the whoa pedal...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Left foot always discouraged in an automatic Kev due to the risk of see sawing. Still getting used to full relaxation on that side.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 19 Jul 2019, 17:09 Left foot always discouraged in an automatic Kev due to the risk of see sawing. Still getting used to full relaxation on that side.
It is but it's surprising the control it gives :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I once tried braking with my left foot. Can't remember why now, but it was on a private road into work, no other traffic, and no possible danger, except possibly to the sheep. I found myself quite unable to remove the pressure from the pedal. I guess it was due to years of the left leg being ' programmed' just to push the pedal.

Never did it again. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's only practical at very low 'parking' speeds
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, no the changes aren't necessary, they are just a fashion statement. Anyone who is offended by manhole has a problem that mucking about with syntax rules and spelling won't cure! Just to put myself firmly outside the Pale.... I once heard a Harrison and Page driver refer to a load of baled sanitary towels as 'manhole covers'.
Ian, would increasing the idle speed slightly help with the uphill reverse parking?
I once had experience driving a Foden 100 ton tractor unit with a fluid flywheel and you could creep anywhere without touching the throttle! Mind you, it was a big 600hp Cummins diesel.
Conspiracy theories about doctored pics... I never gave them any credence, you either believe that Apollo did it or you don't. Life has to be conducted using a modicum of trust. I reserve my scepticism for things that really matter like public statements from politicians with an agenda.....
The miracle of the human body and the immune system. I believe in that!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 20 Jul 2019, 02:22 Ian, would increasing the idle speed slightly help with the uphill reverse parking?
That would have a knock on to on the flat creep and would be less efficient. I have an alternative of course I could reverse in downhill, that would only need the brake. :biggrin2: I would have to get used to approaching from Commercial Street. :smile:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

7 pm and I've just discovered it's Saturday! I honestly thought it was Friday, even our tear off calendar is one day slow! :laugh5:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Have you got a Clubcard Sir?

No

Well - whats that thing on your key ring hanging from your belt loop?

It's a Clubcard - and well done for observation but sometimes I just choose not to use it, and in a very small way - fight back against the system.

I quite understand Sir.

Or then again, perhaps I'm just an awkward b****r. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not quite sure as to what you are referring to David but I recognise and applaud the sentiment!
How good my early morning coffee tastes..... I ration myself to one pint a day early in the morning. If I didn't I could soon get addicted!
The fact that my grand-daughter has reached the stage in her pregnancy where all is well and she is enjoying carrying the next great grandchild. Isn't life wonderful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 03:05 The fact that my grand-daughter has reached the stage in her pregnancy where all is well and she is enjoying carrying the next great grandchild. Isn't life wonderful!
Mrs Tiz and her sister have just spent a week touring Finland, Estonia and Latvia (as one does) and arrived back at Gatwick on Thursday evening. Mrs Tiz stayed with sis overnight and early on Friday morning sister's daughter -in-law popped out a bonny little girl. Impeccable timing! :smile:

Stanley, the clubcard is a card that accumulates points that you can use towards discounts on future purchases - but it also records all your purchases therefore is making a profile of what you eat etc. Who knows where the data ends up? :extrawink:

Ian, it it's any consolation, after 3 years I'm still trying to get to grips with the AutoHold function on my Golf!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 09:17 Who knows where the data ends up?
Thanks for explaining. Tell him it's a bit like the 'divi' at the Coop. :smile: However it's optional - I choose to give you my data - you give me a few pence back. I was just emphasising the fact that I decide. Unfortunately I got a very bright student on the till, but it was amusing.

The constant warnings about the evils of big data on this site ensure the subject is in my thoughts. Also I have just seen a new shop open in the adjacent village. the shop sign proclaims Walnut Medical. Oh that's good I naively thought - I've heard walnuts are very healthy, but do you really need a whole shop for just nuts? There must be more vegans than I thought.

I can't imagine why they need a retail outlet -though it has replaced an estate agent, which is perhaps a straw in the wind? Perhaps I'll pop in and ask for half a kilo of statistics? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I bought a bathroom spray labelled "Spiced Rum, Honey and Coconut".
I was quite taken with it, until hubby mentioned that every time he went in the bathroom, he thought I had been drinking on the sly...and he didn't think it a nice fragrance to greet guests. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for the explanation and yes I have one in the shape of my Co-op membership card.
Hard luck with the spiced rum Maz. You remind me of the benefits of living alone. Jack never complains when I mop the kitchen vinyl using stable disinfectant.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A visit from P, we had a cup of tea and a good moan! He brought me a couple of books and has sabotaged reading of 900 pages of Polish history. Bugger Poland, I shall go sailing with Arthur Ransome in the Baltic.
An invitation to dine at high table in Oxford in October, Hogwarts style, at the celebration of Daniel Meadows archive being transferred to the Bodleian Library and the opening of his exhibition. I was tempted but declined..... It says a lot about old age that staying close to my own lavatory, bed and life is more important than an experience like that!
Quick easy online confirmation of my registration details on the electoral register this morning. One service that runs well and seamlessly. Would that all such services were the same!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The aircon compressor has seized in my car, driving to Kent on Thursday will be a bit warm...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Oh dear! And you can't wind a little handle on the dashboard to open the windscreen..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

But you can probably press one button to open all four of the side windows, I know I can. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”