WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

20210927_175758.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I read that E10 fuel is less packed with power and gives lower MPG . Let us know.

Dont know if it should be Politics but yesterday It was press / media reports that the Government were considering bringing in Army drivers for Petrol Tankers, then this morning the PM was denying this was part of any plan, now BBC reports on website that consideration for Army drivers is being made by the Government. Surely its a no-brainer - unless we dont have any army left ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Held the start/reload button down for longer than ten seconds Peter.
Stuart called round, delivered half a mutton and took an engine away. There's a bit more room on the kitchen table now!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The site is back up hooray!!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Been at it for 5 hours will do a report later, tea time now.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Well done Ian! Thought you might be hard at it.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Well done Ian 👏👏
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Down in the Home Counties " Rail operator Southeastern has been stripped of its franchise after failing to declare more than £25m of taxpayer funding."
- Southeastern, which runs services between London, Kent and East Sussex, is operated by Govia, a joint venture between transport operators Go-Ahead and Keolis.

So another effective Nationalisation of passenger rail operations. (though I cannot work out what the £25m was supposed to be for or where it went as such, it actually seems like petty cash in the amount of money a rail company can generate from its various income sources). - Apparently it was payment from the Govt for track access charges for South Eastern to use HS1 for its Kent Services into Ebbsfleet, Stratford and St Pancras and SouthEastern did not use all its expected slots so should have re-paid the Government presumably on some self-blling invoice system. The present Go-Ahead Finance Director was the financial manager of South Eastern at the time the non-payment was made.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It went down sometime while I was in the shed, running at 06:00 but fried at 08:00.
I agree about Ian, isn't he a good man....
I started today by sleeping an hour longer. Can.t blame the server for that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I haven't checked but probably the time the incremental server backup was running and filling the available drive space. I'll see if I can figure out an outside server location to put the backup files in.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Well done, Ian, thanks for all your efforts. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Apart from the server going AWOL the worsening weather got my attention. I was lucky and managed a dry walk but it was cold and I have decided it is Crombie weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was talking to a friend who is a carpet fitter in Barlick yesterday. He said he had had to stop as he had no diesel. I hope he has found some today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The garage opposite Aldi had queues this morning but the Shell garage on Kelbrook Road looked normal.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have been listening to growers saying that they are planting less for next year, that crops have been destroyed and that prices are going to have to rise by at least 10%. As if that wasn't enough they say that price rises and shortages are already baked into Xmas. Great news for anyone losing furlough status or the £20 a week Universal Credit increase.
Even IDS says the Treasury has got this wrong......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Pendle Council meeting tonight. They have stopped it being live streamed - so Councillor Whipp (Junior) with great initiative will be doing it independently. (Perhaps that should read Liberally). The Council will discuss the matter of live streaming during the meeting.
I struggle to think of any reason not to do it.

Sounds as if it will be more exciting than Emmerdale. I may well pop in. :smile:

Pendle Council Meeting

The picture quality and sound were first class, though the camera was fixed and didn't capture the whole Council.

PS Watched the streaming saga. Confirms my belief that politicians are people who do something for one reason whilst saying it is for another.There was a back story that I didn't get. I think they decided to have a report prepared for the next meeting to look into it.

It got quite dramatic. Clr David Whipp actually said."withdraw your scurrilous lie, or we will take the matter outside, and go to court". He also said "this amendment begins with a lie". I doubt Mr Speaker would have allowed that sort of language in the Commons. He emphasised that the Council policy was - since 2019 - to live stream, and that had never been officially changed. The procedures are quite arcane, and difficult to understand.

I wondered if Clr Tom Whipp had his haircut like that for a bet. Overall - a lot better than Emmerdale though. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd rather watch 'The Bridge' David than that lot. Dress codes appear to be quite flexible these days....
This morning what has immediately grabbed my attention is the fact I forgot to put my meat order in yesterday, the 'smart meters' have to be read and the readings conveyed to BG and we have serious cold November type rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Listening to all the news about the police and the Everard case made me reflect on how I can't recall ever seeing a policeman or policewoman on foot or on a bicycle here in Taunton (population 115,000) or when we lived near Bridgwater (~50,0000). So different from the 1950s when we saw them every day in towns and often knew local ones. I think it all changed due to `Z cars'! Once they got the cars they thought there was no need to walk a beat. There were still some places in the 1990s where they had a local policeman. When we moved to the Somerset Levels village in the mid-1990s there still was a police house on the main road and when we moved in the bobby visited us and offered advise on making our house secure and we chatted about the village and its residents. He knew which were good and which bad! And meeting incomers let him find out who we were and what we were like. That helped him and gave him `gossip' to pass on in the village which assured people we were OK too! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was quite surprised to see a 'community officer' in Barlick about a week ago. I think he must visit a different town or village each day and 'show the flag'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on the woes of the Chinese property firm Evergrande which is in deep financial trouble. Shares have been suspended in Hong Kong because a major announcement is expected.
The reason why this is so important is that the group's debts are so enormous they could have a very serious effect on other Chinese stocks.
"Evergrande's problems have rocked markets over concerns about its more than $300bn (£222bn) of debt."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Mario's restaurant, on Gisburn Road, celebrated 20 years in business on October 1st. What caught my attention was tha Barlick Yarn Fairies had knitted this post box cover next door.
Screenshot_20211004-083922_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Screenshot_20211004-084549_Facebook.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 04 Oct 2021, 04:25 See THIS BBC report on the woes of the Chinese property firm Evergrande which is in deep financial trouble. Shares have been suspended in Hong Kong because a major announcement is expected.
The reason why this is so important is that the group's debts are so enormous they could have a very serious effect on other Chinese stocks.
"Evergrande's problems have rocked markets over concerns about its more than $300bn (£222bn) of debt."
It's only a number and only a tenth of UK's 2.1 trillion! That's what you all owe, about £30,000 each one of 70 million population. Not much when you say it fast. :laugh5:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

At least the Evergrande problem has been in the news for some weeks now and `the markets' have had time to factor it in to their magical workings.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, had you noticed that the Yarn Fairies have made a cap for the emergency telephone at the fire station?
I have found a bit more work for O'Callaghan's, yesterday while I was on bookie watch an old lady fell on rgw steps up to the flag platform and I did what I could to help her before another passer by who had seen the incident took her home in her car. I mailed David Whipp about it pointing out that when the contractors did the flagging they took the handrail that was there out and didn't replace it. Give David his due, he has responded immediately and told me he is on to it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”