WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Pluggy »

Sensible in my book Stanley. Way too many cons out there to take anything on the internet at face value.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Pluggy. Two mails this morning. One querying my web browser but cancelling the order. The second apologising for sending the wrong link. Conclusion is either incompetent or dodgy. Whatever.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

There seems to have been a 'blip' in my healthcare

Waiting to see if anyone admits they got it wrong

Staring intently at Barnoldswick Practice...Consultant is 'investigating' :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Catholic quandary..... Losing a Pope and a Cardinal in one week. How many of the remaining cardinals are squeaky clean?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

You may recall that in November last year, I made comments about the quality of potatoes in Barlicks only greengrocers shop. At that time I contacted Wellocks at Lomeshaye industrial Park, as a result I purchased a full bag of Maris Piper potatoes at a cost of £12.25, that is 14 weeks ago. These spuds were grown in Yorkshire and have now all been used up, no waste and not a single problem, thats about £1 per week. Compare that with £2.50 per week and having to throw many away, its a mathematical none starter, storage could be a problem if there are only two people using them, cold, dry and ventilated is the answer. We ran out on Sunday, and needing some for chips yesterday, bought a few from barlicks greengrocer, back was the "fishy" smell and taste, and the soon after trip to to the loo was akin to a full eruption of Mount Etna!!!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Keep your eyes on Pumpkin cards in Albert Road. Within the next couple of weeks it will be a combined greengrocers and card shop.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Now that is possibly a step in the right direction. One of my classmates at school was the Son of the Lady who set up Pumpkin, and I have much respect for her and her family, if they cannot get it right, who can? We shall see. I was about to order another bag of spuds from Wellocks, this is now under review. If the people of this town are treated with respect and offered good quality service and products, new ventures can succeed.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Fishy smelling and tasting potatoes Thomo? That sounds like very strange potatoes to me - have you asked where they were grown? Perhaps the soil has been over-dosed with fishmeal fertiliser. I remember `fishy' eggs in the 1970s and I think that was down to putting fishmeal in the hen diet. Fish smell tends to come from amine compounds, often in fish but also where any breakdown of protein molecules occurs, releasing ammonia type compounds as occurs when flesh goes putrid. Not nice!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, you could get the same after taste with Milk and eggs as well if too much fishmeal had been fed. I have never had a problem with Chowdrey's veggies or their prices. And Guhlam is a nice bloke, if you want something unusual he'll get it for you. I love the range of spices they sell as well.
The fact that I got a second expensive firebrick delivered, never ordered it but it means I now have a full spare set in stock so I'll keep quiet. (Unless they send more!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Yesterday: Tesco fined £6m for fixing the price of cheese

#everylittlehelps
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Centrica: Profits up 11%

Profit per customer down to £60/year

Forward bought £60 billion of gas
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote:The fact that I got a second expensive firebrick delivered, never ordered it but it means I now have a full spare set in stock so I'll keep quiet. (Unless they send more!)
I bought a new set for mine at Milligans in Burnley for £12. Need to go and get a new glass for the door now...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I should have spoken to you first Kev. You wouldn't believe what they charged me for one sidebrick..... Ah well, I know what to do if I ever need any more!
Brilliant moonlight over the last three nights, you could read a paper in the back street.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Massive drug bust on our eastern seaboard. Great to here that half a billion dollars worth of ICE isn't going to find its way onto our streets. Police say they were alerted by a phone call from a member of the public.
Hope they get a lovely big reward...
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

My Wife has just left to make her last visit to Boundary Mill as a member of Pavers Staff, she has a meeting with the head of "Human Resources" at 10.30 to finalise her redundancy, the alternative, being reduced to 16 hours a week as a shop floor worker. She has had several calls this week from her colleagues asking what was going on, and treating what she told them with utter disbelief. What really sticks in my throat, is not so much what has happened, but the way in which it was carried out. I would have liked to accompany her this morning, but that is not allowed, it has to be a member of staff, but be sure of this, if there is one hint of humiliation, I will be mailing the head of HR with my own opinion.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Radio 4's Today snippet about yesterday in parliament was totally around the appearance of Damian McBride #smeargate

This despite the fact that yesterday was PMQ's

No explanation as to the agenda, unless you're not allowed to report today's politics because of the byelection :confused:
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Thomo wrote:My Wife has just left to make her last visit to Boundary Mill as a member of Pavers Staff, she has a meeting with the head of "Human Resources" at 10.30 to finalise her redundancy, the alternative, being reduced to 16 hours a week as a shop floor worker. She has had several calls this week from her colleagues asking what was going on, and treating what she told them with utter disbelief. What really sticks in my throat, is not so much what has happened, but the way in which it was carried out. I would have liked to accompany her this morning, but that is not allowed, it has to be a member of staff, but be sure of this, if there is one hint of humiliation, I will be mailing the head of HR with my own opinion.
I From my experience when going through the redundancy procedure you can be accompanied by any person of your choice, but not a legal person.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Apparently heard on LBC (London News radio station) talk show this evening, Barlick is getting a new Thai restaurant. Anyone heard anything about this?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Being Barnoldswick nothing would surprise me , I do think I heard or read rumours of this , but I cannot remember where or why.

On Potatoes for the weight mum has had her order for Baking Potatoes with Dairy Crest for some time (she prefers for the convenience the frozen roasting ones ), but the quality has been going down and the price up , with the rise since the original orders of internet shopping (I order about once a month for general deliveries to her ) , she might cancel that regular order and add instead some from the main deliverer.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No wonder price up and quality down. Main crop harvest 2012 was one of the worst for years because of the wet weather.
Daughter Margaret evacuated from work because of danger from bush fires. (WA) Haven't heard from her yet as to what happened. No danger to her, precautionary move.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

rossylass
Regular User

Post by rossylass »

Ukip came second in the Eastleigh by election. I find that rather scary.
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Spud situation now resolved. We have been to Wellocks for another bag, Markies Lee, Maris Pipers, Cambridge, and they look good and clean. When it comes to foodstuffs, we do not mind paying a bit more to be entirely happy with what we get, so we know we will be ok for spuds for the next 14 weeks. Storage conditions during this period will deteriorate as it gets warmer, this is not a problem as I have an 85 year old sister and her husband who also like Maris Pipers and she can have what she needs, gratis. I have no quarrel with the local greengrocer as he has to sell what is sent to him, but he is lucky in one respect, there is no serious local competition, at least not yet.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Thomo wrote:My Wife has just left to make her last visit to Boundary Mill as a member of Pavers Staff, she has a meeting with the head of "Human Resources" at 10.30 to finalise her redundancy, the alternative, being reduced to 16 hours a week as a shop floor worker. She has had several calls this week from her colleagues asking what was going on, and treating what she told them with utter disbelief. What really sticks in my throat, is not so much what has happened, but the way in which it was carried out. I would have liked to accompany her this morning, but that is not allowed, it has to be a member of staff, but be sure of this, if there is one hint of humiliation, I will be mailing the head of HR with my own opinion.
Peter, I have been meaning to reply to this for a few days but I assume your wife's previous position in the company has been dispensed with completely? This would go for all the others positions that you mentioned as well. A company cannot make anyone redundant from a given position and then advertise for a vacancy for the same post for a period of two years. If they do it would be a case for constructive dismissal.

Very borderline for my last full time employment. My redundancy was made on the premise that the job position was no longer available. I noticed they advertised for a position which basically ticked all the boxes of my previous post but took on a trainee to the position (obviously a lot cheaper option). Starting date was more or less exactly two years to the day since I left.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Thomo wrote:...there is no serious local competition, at least not yet.
The new shelving is under construction, the existing stock has been moved, things will start changing on Monday.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Where? Are we looking at Pumpkin or Chaudreys?

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”