WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

You make some very good points there Bruff but lets not forget that it has bugger all to do with politics although many would have it so. The players have not been ordered to wear the poppy, it is both an individual choice and and would (will) be an act of community remembrance. I doubt if there will be any complaints from the spectators.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The new one pound coin, coming in the spring of 2017 and causing much unrest among all those who have to modify their parking meters, vending machines etc etc. Apparently many shopkeepers were caught unawares with the new £5 note even though there had been a lot of publicity. (I hope they remember to change the date.)

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Looks like an old threepenny bit, bet it wont have the same brass content, worth about the same now though. :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact I overslept......
Richard, you are quite right of course but the flood gates were opened when in search of more revenue advertising was allowed in the grounds and on players shirts. Bit like Pandora's Box, once opened it's very difficult to control what comes out!
I like your last para..... Spot on!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS BBC report of the mysterious noise in the Arctic. There is evidently something going on but no explanations.... Let your mind wander freely!
The main thing that grabbed me was that we had the first serious firework attack last night and my little mate had a bad night. I did what I could to give him comfort but I fear he has two more nights to come, tonight and tomorrow when they have the firework display at Victory Park..... Sooner it is all over the better!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Stanley, you have my sympathy on the fireworks issue. Imagine what its like when multiplied by the number of animals concerned. Now at a greater distance from Victory Park and the adjacent area where locals always tried to outdo each other, plus the added benefit of 50% more efficient double glazing, it will be interesting to see how tonight pans out. Good luck to you both.
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night wasn't too bad because it was a perfect night for a bonfire or fireworks display at home. They started around 18:00 and were almost all finished by 22:00. I managed to get Jack outside on the lead for a perfunctory pee and chanced it. He settled down well for his sleep just like a normal night. I see that the fireworks at Victory Park are timed for 18:00 to 20:00. I hope the others used all their stocks up last night!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Not too bad here either Stanley, the double glazing works well, its just a pity that it couldn't all be done with on one night.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack had a bad night and that's why I am up late. But he's OK now..... I hope they have used up their stocks... Why anyone should let fireworks off at 23:30 in their back garden beats me.....
Nothing on the web yet but a diver doing a routine reconnaissance for a fishing trip has found an object on the sea bed off Dominica (?) that appears to be a missing atomic bomb. The Canadian government are sending a vessel to investigate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Thomo

Post by Thomo »

Not single incident last night Stanley, probably thanks to distance and efficient double glazing.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Before the credit crunch we used to have people setting off fireworks at midnight to celebrate their birthday or any other excuse they could find.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote:Nothing on the web yet but a diver doing a routine reconnaissance for a fishing trip has found an object on the sea bed off Dominica (?) that appears to be a missing atomic bomb. The Canadian government are sending a vessel to investigate.
An article from Saturday's Independent relates the story but I wonder if it's true or just somebody having a joke on Guy Fawkes Day? LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wondered about the effects of austerity as well Tiz. There were a few early last night, enough to trigger anxiety in Jack. His hearing is phenomenal!
No doubt we will learn eventually about the object on the sea bed.....
The US votes today. In 36 hours the suspense will be over but it will still be interesting!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You won't be surprised to hear I am grabbed this morning by the US election result. Time will tell but at first sight this looks like the biggest political upset ever. It looks as though the US is going to elect a serial liar with no political or military experience as Commander in Chief. His finger will be on the nuclear button....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for a BBC report on the welcome news that Golden Eagles are doing well in Scotland. Lovely......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's Armistice Day. Two minutes silence at 11AM this morning......
Later after reading the BET. A good write up for the town and our stunning success in the Bloom Awards. I'm so glad all that effort is being rewarded and even more so as I see David Whipp got a special award for Individual Achievement. He will say that it's all down to the volunteers because he's that sort of person but we all know who the driving force is in these efforts to raise the profile of Barlick. Hard to quantify the economic benefit but there must be one. Well done all of you! (BTW. Next time you're voting in a local election remember where these initiatives are coming from. The Lib Dems nationally are suffering but in this town they are the most active party. And that's from an old Social Democrat who still has loyalty to Labour!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Thank you Stanley - and I do say it's all a result of teamwork!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:grin:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tripps wrote:Only the Daily Mail as far as I can see has reported a scaffolder who said he saw the girl sitting on a garden wall using a mobile phone for about an hour, after the event. The time of the offence is odd too. We will see.
We will see . . . The Police are now saying that this 'abduction' did not take place.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I raised doubts about the 'abduction' of the 14 year old girl in Oxford as well. There was something fishy about it but of course the police would have to follow it up. I see that charges of rape are still pending......
I have finally remembered to post a report with LCC about the flashing street lamp in East Hill Garden fronts! Funny how you think " I must do that...." and then promptly forget! Or is that just me getting old.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I raised doubts about the 'abduction' of the 14 year old girl in Oxford as well. There was something fishy about it but of course the police would have to follow it up. I see that charges of rape are still pending......
I have finally remembered to post a report with LCC about the flashing street lamp in East Hill Garden fronts! Funny how you think " I must do that...." and then promptly forget! Or is that just me getting old.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: I have finally remembered to post a report with LCC about the flashing street lamp in East Hill Garden fronts! Funny how you think " I must do that...." and then promptly forget! Or is that just me getting old.....
Nope :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:grin: Thank God for that......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As always at this time of year I have been remembering the dead. I haven't written anything about it this year for the paper as I find that these days it makes me very angry for two reasons. I remember one survivor from the Somme telling me that he hated the phrase 'Glorious Dead' and references to his mates having given their lives for freedom. He told me there was nothing glorious about any of the deaths on the Western Front and nobody 'gave their lives' they were forcibly taken from them in the most horrible circumstances. As if that isn't enough I can't help thinking about the terrible way we neglect those who fight for us when they come home. The politicians will be at the Cenotaph today being suitably reverent but at the same time many ex-servicemen and women are suffering due to neglect. Kipling was right when he wrote 'Tommy Atkins'......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I found THIS on the web. I find it strange that only a Scottish paper is raising this question especially around remembrance day. Is the situation any better in England? Somehow I doubt it and it's a disgrace.
President elect Trump assures his supporters that in at least two areas, the rolling back of abortion rights and repatriation of illegal immigrants, he is determined to keep his promises. He says this will help 'bring the country together'. God help us if he is right......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”