WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Never felt them Cathy.... I think you can see from Margaret's pic what our relationship was even back then. We never had a wrong word and enjoyed working with each other because we were both masters of our trade, deep respect on both sides and Richard mentioned that particularly yesterday. I have been so lucky with my jobs.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
LizG

Post by LizG »

Marilyn wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 07:13 My son has had a lizard living in his garden for years. He saw it often and so did the dog - but dog never bothered the lizard and lizard never bothered the dog. Nine weeks ago, son had a sleeper wall rebuilt ( where lizard lived), so he relocated the lizard to a quiet area of a nearby bush creek. Guess who has turned up "back home"? Nine weeks later and the lizard is back. He knows where he wants to live. He gave my son a long knowing look before slowly heading back to the sleeper wall. Wonder how he did it? Lizard is about 16 inches long..
What a lovely story. We moved in to our house just under 10 years ago and we feel privileged to have 2 big blue tongue lizards living with us. And it is a fallacy that if you have lizards you won't have snakes. We have both.
Liz
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes Liz, I too have heard the story about having no snails if you have a lizard. I never notice any snails in my garden, but I 've also been told that snails are a lizards favourite food. Go figure.
A friend of mine feeds her garden lizard fresh fruit every morning, it loves it so much that it waits for her and allows her to put the fruit down very close to it, and eats it while she watches.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My youngest son's 30th birthday. Where did all those years go? :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I got a small letter from Hong Kong today. You can't have too many memory sticks can you?
HKletter.jpg
HKstamps.jpg
I love the message at the bottom of the envelope, and the stamps are interesting. 'The parable of the pipeline' :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 13:28 I got a small letter from Hong Kong today. You can't have too many memory sticks can you?
Make sure you scan it with your AV package before you do anything else with it :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Thanks for that - I hadn't thought of that. I'll do it. Having just said I'm sceptical and cynical - I then go and start behaving all naive! :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good: :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This isn't good. Last night in Barlick

:surprised:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps, couldn't reach your site . Try thisBarlick Punch up.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Strange - it's to 'Pendle Today', and it works for me. Same story though. Disturbing that they are said to be 14 - 16yrs old. Seems Facebook is involved.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

From what I heard the punch ups were arranged via facebook. This is how the police picked up on it. Good job as we don't normally have any police presence in the town, certainly not on a regular basis.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Kev, wait while they are 57 years! Then you know you are in trouble. Margaret tells me she was in a dive on Church Street with some friends the other night and a big bloke spoke to one of them. It was only afterwards she realised it was you.
That's disturbing news about the fight. Funny thing is I saw two groups of youths yesterday who looked suspicious to me. Unusual to see groups like that going round together.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 03:07 Margaret tells me she was in a dive on Church Street with some friends the other night and a big bloke spoke to one of them. It was only afterwards she realised it was you.
I was in '23 The Grill' on Thursday evening having a burger. I didn't notice Margaret (sure I would have recognised her from recent pictures) I would have said hello.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just for once she must have been taking a back seat!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 23:26 ...we don't normally have any police presence in the town, certainly not on a regular basis.
Thta's probably why they chose Barlick as their `venue' for the organised brawl - the newspaper report said they were from elsewhere.

Here's something to brighten up the day for you all...
`Peter the rabbit has some unlikely friends' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Lucky to have police presence in Earby, Colne and Nelson as well. We are really at the Thin Blue Line stage. The wrong un' know what the likely response times are so can practically do what they want. Vandalism and anti social behaviour from a minority is on the increase. Tories will say there is no connection and that they are shoving millions of funding into the police. Pity they didn't retain the officers they already had and keep the stations open. I think our nearest manned station may be Burnley now.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's not just a case of response time. Even in big towns there's often no response at all. We live in walking distance from the police station in the town centre but they're probably all out dealing with crashes on the M5 or filling in forms! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 10:53 We live in walking distance from the police station in the town centre
So do we but it's been shut for months as we have no local officers. Colne was a main station but that''s now shut as well. When I was teen if we hung around in groups we used to get moved on by the local sergeant, would not dare argue or answer back as he knew most of the parents. Officers now have no local intel in the main other than what they pick up from social media.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The police station in Colne is still operational, its just the public "front desk" that's gone.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for the correction Wendy. Just been on the Lancs Constabulary site for Pendle, our nearest open front desk is Nelson.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One is allowed to be wise before the event. Many years ago when they stopped receiving calls at Barlick but transferred them all to a central number I took the trouble to go and see the Inspector in charge and pointed out to him that the police rely on cooperation from the public, they work by consent but don't like to hear that. He 'proved' to me that the majority of calls were effectively handled and that the new system was working..... We all know what the modern equivalent 101 is like.
I wonder if they have surveillance footage of the incident?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The weather! We had a light shower of rain early on and until then we hadn't got a frost but it has started freezing now and will get worse. The pavements are treacherous now and will only get worse. I used my head and went out an hour early, no grit on the roads yet and snow forecast so if you have to go out on foot or on the road be careful..... ( A car passed on the road going like hell and I reflected that it is no surprise that premiums are rising with idiots like that on the road)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A brace of daughters, Stanley's to be precise. We shared the same luncheon establishment and had a chat.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They both came with me to Airedale yesterday Kev and told me they had run into a nice couple while having a lady lunch. They are enjoying each others company. Margaret goes back home on Monday and she will be missed.
The drill with the first two BCG treatments is that you have to sit and wait for two hours after the infusion to make sure there are no after effects. I asked Helen, the Macmillan nurse, to have a word with the doctor in charge and put it to him that since I was doing so well and in view of the fact it was snowing heavily in our upland township, whether we could bugger off straight away instead of sitting there. He said yes and so we got back shortly after 15:00. The next four irrigations don't have the waiting time, they are just in and out. Nice to experience officialdom using common sense and judgement.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”