WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Confirmation on Farming This Week on R4 that the item about the robotic mower that escaped and started mowing the field of wheat and had to be destroyed was an All Fools Day spoof. They commented on the number of people who evidently believed it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Same can be said about David Whipps Barlick Council agenda to talk about extending Barlick's name. Totally plausible given their record. Obviously not a viable proposition because the Barlick bus stop clock would have to have 14 hours on it. But since its never right would it matter? :biggrin2:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( shit stirring I know) but who is responsible for the Barlick Bus Stop Clock?...is it Yorkshire or Lancashire?
:laugh5:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We all know that racing cars in the street is still popular among some Americans but have a look at the first video in this article to see how crazy people are risking their lives by getting up close...
`Street racing: They're fast, Atlanta's furious' LINK

Mrs Tiz says see if you can spot the three-handed man in these photos!...
BBC Week in Pictures BBC
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have absolutely no interest in street racing or the worship of cars.
Good pics and yes Janet I spotted him. Bit like the pic of Commissioner Dick, Priti Patel and Johnson on the cover of Private Eye last week. The PM had four feet....

It's boat Race Day today but it is going to happen in Cambridgeshire.... See THIS report in the Times.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

...and four hands! (I bet Priti Patel is one woman he won't touch with them!)

`Hidden treasure: Hertford Union Canal gives up its secrets' LINK
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Gosh I’m glad I’m not living next to the canal...imagine the smell at the moment!
🙁
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Marilyn wrote: 03 Apr 2021, 07:36 ( shit stirring I know) but who is responsible for the Barlick Bus Stop Clock?...is it Yorkshire or Lancashire?
:laugh5:
Neither, the clocks are dual county having hybrid white and red roses on their fascias. Both (or five) if you count the four faces on the bus stop one are the idea and responsibility of the Town Council and neither have worked for years. They are supposed to be whiz bang and self regulate etc but don't work.

Oh and for the record as Stanley has explained Barnoldswick is in the West Riding of Yorkshire because it was laid down in Danelaw and has since been incorporated in the Statute book. County Brook is still in the same place and all is well with the world if you know where you are. :extrawink:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

When our town was first subdivided, named and application was put into the land title’s office, the man filling out the declaration put the wrong spelling on the paperwork. We were supposed to be called Victor Harbour, but it went through as Victor Harbor. It would have required money to change it, so they left it as it was.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cathy, no, the canal doesn't smell particularly bad when drained. Most of the waste in there isn't organic.
First thing that has struck me is how windy and cold it is! Winter is have a last stab at us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A call from Barlick Surgery. I am booked in at Park Road for my 2nd Covid jab on Tuesday 13th at 09;15. That's nice....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 13:35 A call from Barlick Surgery. I am booked in at Park Road for my 2nd Covid jab on Tuesday 13th at 09;15. That's nice....
Excellent news.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Isn't it Kev. Funny thing is that I know this doesn't mean everything reverts to normal but it's very comforting to know that after a decent interval, say the beginning of May, the chances of me having a Covid infection bad enough to hospitalise and kill me is vanishingly small. That is a load off my mind. Now I have to stay clean until May.
It's good that common sense has prevailed and the jabs can now be done at Park Road. I suppose they must have quietly done away with the obligatory 15 minutes observation before you're allowed to leave.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

This post from Facebook is so true...

A vaccine passport will probably just contain your name, the date you were vaccinated, and maybe the type of vaccine and a batch number as per the cards that they give out.
It’s not a privacy concern. Cyber criminals won’t be able to harvest this data and get a three grand lounge suite from DFS on ‘buy now, pay later’ in your name.
You know what is a ‘privacy concern’ though? That ‘Where were you born?’ meme with Minions on it where you revealed the answer to a really popular security question and didn’t think twice because ‘ooooh Minions!’
That ‘Let’s see your dog’ challenge with a long wanky hashtag where you revealed to the entire universe that you have a £20k pedigree whatever and also that he responds to the name ‘Mr Chuff Chuff’ - not to mention the album of ten f***ing photos just in case the ‘forrener what sits in that transit’ has any difficulty identifying poor Mr Chuff Chuff.
That Facebook quiz where you inadvertently handed over enough information to take out a £900,000 mortgage with Santander in the process of a super-advanced AI system figuring out what flavour of crisp you are.
And you’re worried about the local boozer or EasyJet knowing you’ve had a jab that will be taken up by the vast majority of the adult population on this planet over time?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Exactly and that's the reason why I never do the voluntary questionnaires so many forms send when you have had a delivery. Apart from anything else, why should I be a free source of market research for them?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Ha, I have just reviewed the new power washer I got from Argos. No personal details required, in fact actively discouraged. :extrawink:

Other thing that attracted my attention was Sally delivering up her nomination papers to Nelson Town Hall. She had to make an appointment and then ring them to come to the door and collect, we then had to go away and wait while they checked to see that they were in order.

For the record 10 electors from Coates Ward have asked that the latest Town Council vacancy be filled via election rather than co-option which is the usual case. Also for the record it was not organised by our party group to trigger the election. Should be mildly interesting, £5,000 to £7,000 of the precept, the price of democracy.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not even sure which ward I am in, all my poll card says is it may have changed....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 03:30 Not even sure which ward I am in, all my poll card says is it may have changed....
You're in Craven ward.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah, thanks Kev. So no change for some.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's more about vaccine passports here: `What Could A UK “Vaccine Passport” System Actually Look Like?' Politics Home
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 07:46
Stanley wrote: 08 Apr 2021, 03:30 Not even sure which ward I am in, all my poll card says is it may have changed....
You're in Craven ward.
The Town Council as it represents Barnoldswick is still using the old ward of Coates and Craven is now split into two wards Barnoldswick North and Barnoldswick South. This vacancy for the council is in Coates Ward.

Borough elections will be fought on the new ward structure so that will be Barnoldswick Ward and Earby & Coates Ward. Stanley, you and I are still in the Barnoldswick Ward which now includes part of the old Coates ward and Bracewell. The New Earby & Coates Ward has added all properties in Barlick north of Vicarage Road which includes the whole of Coates estate, Ghyll Meadows, Applegarth and all properties on Skipton Road to the north.

County Elections, we are in Pendle Rural which covers the whole of West Craven plus large surrounding rural areas.

Thanks to the Tory parties chums at the Boundary Commission it's a whole new can of worms and in my view a total cock up.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Thanks to the Tory parties chums at the Boundary Commission it's a whole new can of worms and in my view a total cock up."
No doubt they see some advantage in it.
See THIS BBC report on the visa extension given to some health staff. Quite rightly Unison ask why not care workers as well? Another example of mistakes being made in Brexit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, one for you.

More conspicuous consumption. I got another five pairs of the M&S knockers. I now have an adequate supply of presentable, comfortable knickers. Very important as you might get run over! (My mother taught me that one....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

Knockers & Knickers are in different geographical locations ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hee hee Bodge! I never noticed that. I shall leave it, too good to correct.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”