WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

You're right Tiz and yes it worries me as well.
A chance reference prompted me to do a search for 'gaslighting'. I found THIS. Until now I thought it was the practice of lighting somewhere by gas! Isn't life complicated....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Judging from the list of gaslighting characteristics I'd say Donald Trump is Gaslighter-in-Chief! :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A good article. I'm afraid I've known a few...
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 13:45 Just got my payslip from Pendle Education Trust for my invigilating duties and noticed that they have taken £120.00 off in Tax and £8.00 in NI. As a part time ad hoc worker I shouldn't pay either.

This was nagging me so I went onto my HMRC account via the Government Gateway. From there you can see all your PAYE information going back 5 years. Your income is shown broken down into streams from each source so I can see my various small pensions ..What I cant get my head round is that you have a different tax code for each stream rather the how it used to be, one code to cover all income sources.
I think you can write to HMRC if the income source ceases in the year.

Is the NHI due to the change in the state pension age so males up to the present day retirement age still pay NHI on their appropriate weekly/ monthly pay period ?

For varying streams I think the tax codes go on allocation of main personal allowance to primary income ( for persons on state pension this is that - so the est annual pension is taken off the tax code, which gives a new reduced code that goes to the next estimated income for the year and so on)That should mean you pay roughly the correct amount of tax in a full tax year. I seem to have two gateway accounts - but with loss of computers and paperwork anywhere in the flat I cannot locate my entry for my tax payments.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The shower of rain during the night.... Good news for Grand Daughter Holly who is in Sweden and has been complaining about the hot weather. It will be on its way over to her.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Aldi buying up surplus British potatoes to stop them going to waste https://www.farminguk.com/News/ ... 414.html
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Smart move Kev.... they are forecasting a shortage later in the year due to the dry weather.
Just the right amount of rain, not enough to cause problems but very refreshing for the gardens and fields. I'll be interested to see Butts Beck this morning to see how much is running off. Hopefully a lot will have soaked into parched ground. I never forget that it was July in 1932 when a hot spell broke that gave us the Barlick Flood.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The constant steady rain all day! Lovely. Just what we needed because it has every chance of soaking into the ground and not simply running off. This is what happens if a drought breaks with freak weather events like very heavy thunder rain. I only heard one distant rumble of thunder all day and that was in late morning.
The way the rain washed all the chalk marks off the street put down by the kids playing out in the hot weather. We have quite a few kids about and the back street is a safe playground for them. I love to see them looking after each other! Someone complained to me the other day about the chalk and I told them it could be much worse! They have got used to Jack rushing out barking in self defence if I open the gate, they just laugh at him......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Beano is 80 years old! (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking, the Beano was first published by D C Thompson in 1938 so it's two years younger than me. I was surprised to hear that the current cost is £2.50!! I seem to remember it used to be 2d or 3d..... and that was in old money so about 1p. Times have changed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 03:29 Times have changed!
So has the Beano.... Beano App
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have upset a neighbour today. ( :biggrin2: )
When they moved in across the road 2 years ago, they seemed to have a problem understanding the rubbish collection in our street. Our street is unusual, in that it gets divided down the middle, meaning we run on a different collection calendar to them and our rubbish collection day is in fact one day later than theirs. I gave the woman a calendar and explained the column she needed to follow. apparently, she couldn't grasp it, and they had rubbish backed up because of it. We had a spare block of land next to us at that time, so I advised the woman that (to catch up) she might place her bin on the spare block next to us. The rubbish men might be kind and collect it (they are not forced to), but it could help clear the backlog of waste if she basically double dipped this way until it was cleared.Two years later (!) and they are still doing it every week and getting double the rubbish removal of everyone else in the street. The problem has escalated, because we no longer have a spare block next to us. Our neighbour has built his house and is now living there, so each week the people across the road put their bins on my front lawn. Possibly I should have gone over and politely asked them to stop doing it, as i am worried the council might send me a nasty letter about having too many bins...or worse...start charging me.
Enough was enough. I took their full bin back to their own yard this morning. I couldn't understand how it was full anyway, as they only had their rubbish collected yesterday! (where do they get all this rubbish from?!). They don't always collect their empty bin at the end of the day either, even though ours are stowed away through the side gate. (They never put their bins away, just leave them in the front yard.) i had been tolerant, because word was that they had bought a house and would be moving soon. But the months have passed, and they are still here.
Unfortunately the man returned home before the rubbish truck came. He made a few loud comments about "old people being intolerant" and walked his bin 2 doors up on our side of the road. so he still got it collected. (darn)
If he puts his bins on my front lawn again, I am phoning the council.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you were very tolerant Maz. Try putting your bin on his lawn and get it collected a day earlier.
See THIS Guardian report on 3D printed plastic guns. A federal judge in the US has stopped the issue of the programmes to the public on the grounds that the ability to produce 'ghost guns' which are unidentifiable was a danger to the public. From what the experts say the guns are more likely to blow up when fired and damage the shooter. But it's a trend and a sign of the times......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

ATTACK ON JACK
15:20 Ist AUGUST 2018.

17:43.
Jack was attacked in the back street by a light brown Lurcher Type dog which fastened on his throat and would not let go until I got my fingers in its mouth and prised the jaws open. In the course of this I was bitten on my right hand, a deep puncture wound. Jack has suffered a deep puncture wound to his neck and it has punctured his trachea. I have taken Jack to Stanley House vets and he is being held overnight for observation with a view to perhaps operating on him.

Two officers attended, PC Mark Hyde and PCO Neil Walling. They interviewed people in the vicinity and took details. I am informed that the owner of the dog is -------------, 14 East Hill Street but haven't been able to confirm this yet.

This is a memorandum I have written for myself. Jack was minding his own business when he was attacked and it was horrendous. The lurcher knew what it was doing and was intent on killing him. I had to get my
fingers in its mouth and physically pull the jaws apart. We're talking about a ten minute struggle.
The neighbours rang the police, the dog is well known. Mark Hyde and Neill Walling attended very quickly and were very good, they have interviewed several people on the street, as I say the dog and the family are well known.
I think I know the owner's name but am seeking confirmation of it.
Jack is fine, a bit shocked but not trembling and I think he will be OK. I am in shock! The vet seems to think that the wound will close itself and may not need an operation. I shall call them tomorrow morning.
The finest moment was when I rang Susan's and my son in law Mick answered the phone. He came straight over and looked after us. The police asked me if he was competent, I told them he was an Ex RSM, Scot's Guards and had more qualifications than them! A good man to have about in an emergency.
Thanks to everyone who have helped particularly the neighbours. Good for slimming, I have no interest in food......

PS Don't bother calling 101 I don't believe there is anyone there..... Useless. I have contacted David Whipp because I think he may have a number for the officers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Shocked to read that Stanley but relieved to hear that Jack will hopefully be OK. Please let me know if you need any help at all with transport or just company, I'm free all day tomorrow.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

That's shocking.
I know Mark Hyde, do you want to contact him?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Our thoughts to Jack and Stanley. Always upsetting to see a pet get hurt.
Have you had your bite properly treated, Stanley? I know you think dog's mouths are clean but they can harbour MRSA (among other lovelies).
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

What a shocker. And you mentioned a couple of days ago that children usually play in the back street. Irresponsible owners. Hope he gets prosecuted.

Like Maz said, don't neglect your own wound, you may need antibiotics.

Hope everything looks better this morning.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sorry to read of Jack being attacked, hope all is well with him. Awful for both of you. Make sure your doctor keeps a check on you, it must have been a horrible thing to go through.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks all of you. Wendy I'll bear that in mind..... Kev, yes, I need to talk to Mark. Puncture in hand is clean and dry but a bit sore. I'm looking after it. More news when I have it.....
Kids in back street..... all the neighbours are up in arms and on Jack's side. We will do all we can to get something done. It was a very nasty incident.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Update. Looking on the bright side and expecting to bring Jack home today I have scrubbed the harness I used in the early days when he was pulling on the lead. I think it will be better than a neck collar putting pressure on the wound. Fingers crossed!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Horrified to learn of this incident! My best wishes to both you and Jack. You really can't let your guard down can you! Good luck on your first walk together, your confidence will run straight down the lead to Jack. Our best wishes, Julie, Honey and Buster the Munsterlander.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That must have been frightening for both of you, Stanley, and you're brave to put your fingers in that aggressive dog's mouth to rescue Jack. You'd be wise to get your own wound checked at the GP's surgery, not only from a health point of view but also so that it's officially recorded in case the incident leads to a court case. Even if you don't want to pursue the issue, the recorded medical evidence would help in the future if that dog bit, say, a child. I hope Jack is quickly back to normal.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thank you all, I have taken it on board.

Here's the bite, not giving any cause for concern and my tetanus jabs are OK, when you've had as many boosters as I have and you get to my age you don't need them any more.
My mate Phil came round and we have picked Jack up and brought him home. We stopped on the way at a peace of grass and I took him round a tree or three but no movement. However when we got home and he got in his own back yard with his harness off he voided a big movement of liquid stool so that's a relief, his bowels are working. When he got into the house he jumped straight into his chair which surprised me, I didn't think he had a jump in him. He's had an injection of antibiotics but I have a course of pills for him and gave him the first disguised in a small piece of sausage. I had to help him swallow it but it's in his system. I'm leaving him alone now to heal.

If you look carefully you'll see the trapped air in his neck. I am leaving it strictly alone and have some anti-inflammatory pills that he starts on with his food later.
So far so good.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Bless you Jack.

I'm sure he loves the old smells, and it will be healing.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”