WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

catgate
Regular User

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by catgate »

This may be of interest :-

Accession Number : ADA209248

Title : Ice-Water Partition Coefficients for RDX and TNT

Corporate Author : COLD REGIONS RESEARCH AND ENGINEERING LAB HANOVER NH

Personal Author(s) : Taylor, Susan

Report Date : APR 1989

Pagination or Media Count : 14

Abstract : An ice-water partition experiment using RDX and TNT was conducted to determine the efficiency with which the formation of ice excludes nonvolatile organic compounds. RDX and TNT are being used by CRREL as substitutes for volatile organics to see if freezing can move organics in saturated soils. Knowledge of the behavior of RDX and TNT, i.e., diffusivity and partition coefficient, is important for determining the conditions under which they, and the volatile organics of interest for hazardous waste cleanup, might be moved. TNT and RDX are excluded from the ice structure at freezing rates of up to 9 X 10 -5 cm/s(3.1 in./day). An upper limit for the partition coefficient, K, was estimated using the measured effective partition coefficient and the growth rate of the ice. Ground freezing, Hazardous waste, Pollution cleanup, Waste management, RDX, TNT.

Descriptors : *WATER TREATMENT, *WASTE MANAGEMENT, RATES, SATURATED SOILS, FREEZING, ICE, LIMITATIONS, COEFFICIENTS, ORGANIC MATERIALS, ORGANIC COMPOUNDS, VOLATILITY, BEHAVIOR, WASTES, CLEANING, POLLUTION, RDX, TNT, NONVOLATILE MEMORIES, HAZARDOUS MATERIALS, GROUND LEVEL, GROWTH(GENERAL)

Subject Categories : SOLID WASTES POLLUTION AND CONTROL

Distribution Statement : APPROVED FOR PUBLIC RELEASE
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

RDX and TNT definitely hazardous materials!
A good barrow-load of snow outside the back door this morning. Must have slipped off the roof. Good job it didn't get me. That would have been a rapid wake-up!
News that 5 Sun journos had been arrested yesterday That makes 9 in the last 14 days. Word is that this is all down to Newscorp handing over emails to the police who are investigating payments to officers and the journos suspect they are being hung out to dry by their masters. Par for the course...
Chris Huhne in court on Thursday.
Intriguing interview with Coalition minister in charge of Turks and Caicos economy which is under direct administration from UK. Lord Ashcroft not mentioned but I get the impression this may have a bearing on the pursuit of the Noble Lord. Someone is taking an interest.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

In the school playground in the 1950s we were told not to stand by the building when it snowed because of the icicles hanging from the gutters - and they were big icicles too! (They were always bigger in the past!)
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't remember where it was but I can remember a stretch of motorway being closed because of big icicles hanging form lamps and bridges.
A young friend delivered three bags of kindling for the stove, free. I've known him since he was born and isn't it nice when the young uns look after the old and take the trouble to help. They didn't all go to the bad!
(And of course the frost went away for a while!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bruff
Avid User

Post by Bruff »

The M56 was closed for a time during the really cold snap in Dec 2010 dues to icicles hanging from a bridge.....

If I heard the report correctly over the weekend, the entire length of the Danube is frozen solid and as this is a major working river there are major economic implications being suggested. I have to say, watching the rugby match in Rome take place with snow on the pitch and snow falling heavily by the end is a first.

I have to say that it surprises me too that shopkeepers and households do not clear the snow in front of their premises. I've always cleared my bit, and if there's someone old of infirm nearby I'll do their's too. I know folk say you can't do this due to 'health and safety', but that's a load of rubbish. Nothing to with 'health and safety'. Folk are worried about being sued if they 'don't do it right' and someone falls over, which is an entirely different matter.

Richard Broughton
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

catgate wrote:This may be of interest :-

:geek:
not necessarily :wink:
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

2 air ambulances, small fleet of ambulances, police cars, blocked Rainhall Road at shift change time

Someone knocked down apparently, not the best way to start Half Term
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Bruff wrote:If I heard the report correctly over the weekend, the entire length of the Danube is frozen solid and as this is a major working river there are major economic implications being suggested.
That's an interesting one Richard because the Danube was almost running on empty last year due to lack of rain and snow. Boats were beached and others couldn't complete journeys, it was too shallow. It's a wonder there's anything left to freeze, but it's going to make a big problem even worse.
Twinkletoes

Post by Twinkletoes »

Tardis wrote:2 air ambulances, small fleet of ambulances, police cars, blocked Rainhall Road at shift change time

Someone knocked down apparently, not the best way to start Half Term
It was madness, it seemed everyone came from under their rocks to watch. I live right across from the park on Bank Street, so we had the perfect viewing to see the Helicopter land.
It was a Silentnight Employee who had been knocked off his bike! I hope the guy is ok!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that whilst most paths were clear and dry, the well-used path through Valley Gardens was still deadly. Someone should take note, very heavy foot traffic as it is such a useful short cut. Same applies to Butts.
What a difference a couple of degrees rise in temperature makes. CH hasn't fired up since Saturday. Bodes well for the reassessment at end of March! With hinsight the stove installation on January 11th was perfect timing, the frost started on the 12th. There is a providence looks after old farts and idiots!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Happy Birthday Comrade. Have a good one. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:drummer: Enjoy your Birthday Stanley. :happybd:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks kids, i always try to have a good day! 76 is no great shakes..... just lucky!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am not a football person but I watch Rangers sliding into administration and possible reconstruction. The question I had was how can a successful club like that get into such trouble. It was partially answered this morning by the news that the £39million mentioned yesterday might be a bot of an underestimate, probably nearer £75million. It appears that one element of the problem is a claim from HMRC for tax they say is owed after the club took advice from 'tax experts' and set up a fancy tax avoidance scheme which has been judged to be illegal. These experts get everywhere don't they!
Wendy, thought about you this morning. Better weather and the ground clear of snow but still firm from the residual frost. Good result!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yesterday was looking a bit muddy on the surface, but quite a frost this morning keeping the ground reasonably firm. The hens are all outside adventuring and naughty Mr Duck is thinking spring has sprung despite the fact that the pond is still half frozen over.
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Happy birthday Stanley.

What attracted my attention today was the adverts all over this site..what's going on?
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

I was attracted to the following:-

It has just been announced that Norway and the UK are to collaborate in a huge cooperative scientific programme, under the North Sea, half way between Stavanger and Aberdeen.
The objective is to create a means of producing faster breeding, hardier fish stock so as to counteract the projected population drop due to Climate Change and the build up of synthetic whelk pheromones.
£200b (450b Krone) has been set aside to build a Large Haddock Collider powered by North Sea oil and hot air.
Speaking on Danish T.V, Svend Hunderfoort said they were expecting that as soon as the action started there would be no shortage of bosuns.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, the birds thought the same thing yesterday, combination of the earlier dawn and milder weather had them singing their hearts out! Aren't the lighter mornings wonderful!
Belle, just pay a bit towards the rent, that will cure all your woes and make you feel all warm and glowing. The site hasn't changed, exactly what it was before.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Adverts :surprised:

I agree about the paths Stanley, I don't hink that the salt bin on Butts is currently filled. Last year when I lived there I used the salt out of the Clinic to make sure my neighbours could get out and about.

I was shocked by the co-op actually. They dug out the back so that their deliveries could get in, but didn't have a second thought about their customers despite the fact that LCC had deposited all that grit in the bins and if they'd asked LCC then they may have been inline for a payment to offset their costs. Poor customer service and practice either way.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two thongs for a tenner...... (You dirty old man, stop trawling the Ann Summers website!)
"The thong has ended but the mammaries linger on". Sorry about that, best out of my system.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This appeared in an email recently...it's probably been on OG before but worth an another airing perhaps:

F1gur471v3ly 5p34k1ng?

7H15 M3554G3

53RV35 7O PR0V3

H0W 0UR M1ND5 C4N

D0 4M4Z1NG 7H1NG5!

1MPR3551V3 7H1NG5!

1N 7H3 B3G1NN1NG

17 WA5 H4RD BU7

N0W, 0N 7H15 LIN3

Y0UR M1ND 1S

R34D1NG 17

4U70M471C4LLY

W17H 0U7 3V3N

7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17,

B3 PROUD! 0NLY

C3R741N P30PL3 C4N

R3AD 7H15.
PL3453 F0RW4RD 1F

U C4N R34D 7H15.
Last edited by Tizer on 15 Feb 2012, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Codes of that type are certainly easier to read if the letters interchanged are in the middle of the word, as the brain appears to be able to comprehend much easier.

As to 'strong' I would query that, because whilst someone may be competant at performing tasks like this there may be other areas where they are less so.

hence 'horses for courses'
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Does the numbers thing only work in English ? ( I am illetierate in Greek , Hebrew , Cyrillic and Arabic and any written Text east of Mesopotainier really [ though I can understand some of the mah-jong tiles in the games in the site ). If the Co-Op is full of stuff people cannot safely get in to but isnt that a bit silly , better get down today as the sun melts and all the short dated stuff is sold off cheap.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tardis, just to clarify, `strong' wasn't my word, that sentence was what came at the top of the email. But I agree with you and will delete it . It's not really necessary.
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

Appears I am now locked out of my email account :surprised:

Hopefully it doesn't mean that it has been compromised :confused:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”