WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Wendyf »

Harry & Megan making headline news by sharing their anxieties with the media, for heaven's sake, if you want to be private then keep private!!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am at the point where I can't stand the sight of them. If they can't cope with life, marriage and having a baby -with all the resources, wealth and staff at their fingertips - then there is no hope for any of us. Just "shut up and get on" I say. There are others with bigger problems. Those brothers are not the only ones to ever lose their Mother young either...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, that was exactly my line of thought. Even the announcement that they were at breaking point was made to a battery of reporters! Spoilt kids who wouldn't know a hard day's work if it punched them on the nose....
Exactly Maz. My grandchildren have had far more to cope with and never informed the media, they just got on with surviving!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Daily Mail says that it is impossible to listen to Harry and Megan and not feel compassion.
I have news for them, I don't feel any such thing.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Watched some old documentary films from the 70s. The women presenters were all twin set and pearls and cut glass accents. It struck me how patronising it all was and reminded me of Rees Mogg. The superior class...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Katie Hopkins (not everyone's favourite), has it right for me.

Meghan :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What a farce! I went to collect my new prescription reading/computer glasses from Specsavers yesterday. I previously collected them a while ago but they weren't right and needed slightly different lenses. Last week I picked them up with the new lenses in but had to tell the assistant they were worse than before. They had all sorts of excuses about how my eyes must be changing as I get older. In the end, to get away, i said I'd take them home and try again then come back if necessary. Came home and looked carefully at the new ones and the thicknesses of the lenses in those and in my older glasses. My right eye needs a much stronger lens than the left. I had a suspicion so got out a micrometer and measured the thickness of the lenses in the problem glasses - they've put the lenses in the wrong way around. The right lens is in the left side of the frame and vice versa! If I hold the glasses on my eyes back to front the vision is OK. I took them back and left them together with a letter about the problems I've had.

Later...just had a call from Specsavers, lots of apologies and a promise to courier the corrected glasses to me by next Tuesday. But I doubt that they'll be seeing me again.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Should've gone to Specsavers!!

This happened to my friend in China and his were the varifocal type and cost a lot of money.

Good job they are not surgeons amputating limbs.

Surgeon to patient: I've got good and bad news.
Patient: Give me the bad news first.
Surgeon: We've amputated the wrong leg.
Patient: Well what's the good news?
Surgeon: See that young and beautiful blonde nurse over there? I'm taking her out tonight. :biggrin2:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 02:09 Here in the UK I reckon we're seeing a Brexit Effect already. Stocks on shelves are thinning out, some items vanish for days at a time. I reckon their stocking budget has been badly hit by stockpiling for B day all over again plus Xmas stock. If we knew what a knife edge food supplies are on there would be general panic!
There's a definite nip creeping into the weather, we slowly descend into winter. Snowfall at low level in the far North of Scotland yesterday. I have declared it Crombie time.
Mum likes stuff from Sainsbury's - but only the local big store, the smaller stores dont carry the full range, its within walking distance from her place - not that she can walk so its me - things that have been intermittent - Potato Croquettes 900gr for £1.20 (pack size down, pack price up and often not there at all ), Salmon- pink- with bones and skin £1.05 to £1.10 for the small tin ( bigger is cheaper but she only wants enough for one meal at a time !) not there again this week, I have no idea where the facial wipes have gone (whats wrong with flannel and soap I dont know - I think it save a bit of hot water running in the day - the wipes got to the incinerator and not into the water stream when finished with ). The large packs of Rice Krispies own brand were discontinued - I now wander to the nearby Aldi/Lidl I forget what its called - and get theirs - cheaper and she has not noted the difference - the length of queue at till though is a pain. Trying to get cheap Kit-Kats for visitors is difficult ( though I should be avoiding palm oil products its not easy). As a middle class problem hummous ready made has gone from the £1 level to £1.20 for most kinds of tub, strange that I cannot cope with a tin of mushy peas at 30p ! . Spuds went down in price and have crept back up now a bit. For my own stuff I am tending to use Morrisions with no noticible problems, , my main cost is food for the cats, they are better fed than I.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Well done Tiz! I like the line, "I got out a micrometer...". I wonder if I would have thought of that?
How well I am feeling... That's worrying, must be careful!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Hubby has a pair of glasses ( his old ones I think) that one lens sometimes falls out. Every time it happens he freaks out momentarily, thinking he has had a stroke as his vision has suddenly gone in one eye. Frightens the life out of him.
Lens is always sat there on his tummy!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Suggest a dab of super glue!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 24 Oct 2019, 05:26 Suggest a dab of super glue!
I expect Maz has banned superglue, too big a risk!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh my Lord...Febby is not safe with Super Glue! ( :laugh5: he is not safe with a lot of stuff, but Super Glue is high on the list)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Some spectacle frames hold in the lens with a small screw and the problem is due to the screw working loose. A spot of nail varnish over the screw will often hold it in place if you want to avoid glues.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

They could need re-threading
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

He does "fix" them from time to time. He has new ones....but you know what life is like in a two storey home...where are my specs? He also has a skinny pair he keeps in his pocket when out and about, to look at menus or price tags ( they always give him a shock :laugh5: )...then there is the pair in the sun visor of the van to read maps etc. ( they don't seem to work either :laugh5: ).
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've just been making a pot of tea and was relating the story of Febby and his specs to Mrs Tiz. As I switched the kettle on the phone rang and she answered, so I switched it off so she could hear better. She told me it was a spoof call and we carried on with me brewing the tea. It was only then that I realised I hadn't switched the kettle back on and the teapot was now full of extremely weak, lukewarm team. Aaaargh! :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ah...you are experiencing the "Febby affect" from afar.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:laugh5: he has had me flummoxed for over a quarter of a century!
( but I love the very bones of the man)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Couldn't resist taking this (poor) photo at Waitrose this afternoon. It's as if they were expecting me. :smile:
Allgonespooky.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whenever I see or hear the word I think of you David....
Things could be worse Maz, my friend John Robinson used to sit on his!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I could have sworn that my place faces south at the front and north at the back! My new phones compass tells me that my place faces east with west at the back. You learn something new every day :).

5 minutes later it is telling me what I always thought, south at the front , north at the back!

Sorry to be going on... I was playing with the compass app while coming home on the bus and enjoyed watching it change as we turned corners etc. so maybe the compass had to re-set itself.
I’m a little bit fascinated with my new phone at the moment :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Compass may be unreliable in a metal bus. We rely on a compass when parking our van, so as to avoid afternoon sun where we want to sit out and cook. I have to hop out of the van and read my compass before Febby parks, as the metal in the van gives a false reading. We like morning sun at breakfast, so van door needs to face East.
I'm quite the little Girl Scout.
( some parks do note compass directions on their map of the park, so that avoids me doing it).
Once parked the correct way, my next job is to dash back inside the van and consult a spirit level to make sure we are "on the flat". It makes it easier to open the fridge AND to sleep if everything is level. No rolling off the bed, or sleeping with your feet higher than your head! If we are not flat, my next job is to position small ramps in front of which wheels need to be adjusted. Sometimes it is front two...sometimes it is back and front on one side only. Febby drives up them and I consult the spirit level to tell him when to stop. (By then, we need a drink!)
(It's a full time job!)
Anyway...yep...do your com passing away from metal objects! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was always the problem with ships Maz, even wooden ones because there was always enough iron about to affect the compass. Your method of getting out in the open is good. Orientation makes so much difference!
THIS BBC report on the ban on climbing Uluru caught my attention this morning. I have to say that I am in favour of taking note of the wishes of the indigenous tribes, they were there long before us! They have been ignored for too long.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”