WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Same here Maz but in the opposite direction of course.
The fact that my Stuart Castings are with the carrier. (From the email:- "Items sent within the the United Kingdom will be shipped via either the Post Office or DPD Local.") From what I remember of the last lot DPD were very good, gave me advanced warning of delivery time.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Native Americans made epic Pacific voyages' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw that report Tiz. Doesn't surprise me, we have always underestimated the use of sea travel. One of my favourite books is The Voyage of Pythias the Greek. Well worth looking at.

Good service. Shed is secure again for a while!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Youngest offspring will now be multitasking from September, basketball coach and business studies teacher. Should keep him out of mischief for a bit :-)
Screenshot_20200710-092417_Messenger.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Excellent Kev, PGCE with merit. From your post it seems like he has a placement. Is that reasonably local?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 08:35 Excellent Kev, PGCE with merit. From your post it seems like he has a placement. Is that reasonably local?
He's continuing his employment at Queen Ethelburga's in York, Ian. He has been their basketball coach for a couple of years and the school offered to fund the PGCE last year, it also gives him qualified teacher status.
The current pandemic has had an impact on sports activity so he has had diversify. His degree, Sports Marketing and PR, put him in a good position for the business studies role.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Lots of teachers come from industry or other professions via the PGCE route. Our Carla went into teaching from the offing as she knew what she wanted to do from about 9 years of age. She did a full teaching degree at Bangor Uni and as a consequence had to learn quite a bit of Welsh as all her teaching practice apart from one placement in Stalybridge was in North Wales Primary Schools where it is the first language of course. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 08:56 Lots of teachers come from industry or other professions via the PGCE route. Our Carla went into teaching from the offing as she knew what she wanted to do from about 9 years of age. She did a full teaching degree at Bangor Uni and as a consequence had to learn quite a bit of Welsh as all her teaching practice apart from one placement in Stalybridge was in North Wales Primary Schools where it is the first language of course. :smile:
Teaching in a second language must have been a challenge. I'm sure that would have put off quite a few.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 03:42 I saw that report Tiz. Doesn't surprise me, we have always underestimated the use of sea travel. One of my favourite books is The Voyage of Pythias the Greek. Well worth looking at.
As Michael Caine would say, not many people know this. Tortoises float in seawater. The giant Galapagos tortoises are descended from small Chile tortoises. In theory they could have floated all the way to the Galapagos but it's more likely they were carried there on large rafts of vegetation after tsunamis caused by earthquakes in Chile. Something similar happened after the 2011 Japan earthquake and tsunami when animals and plants were carried on debris all the way across the Pacific to California. Humans have made it easier, with all the structures we've built that can provide rafts in a tsunami. LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 10:08 Teaching in a second language must have been a challenge.
She was part of a good student cohort who have all become lifelong friends. Most are still teaching.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was my thought as well Kev! Hard enough to start teaching in your native language.....
Tiz, only recently have we realised that there was a good reason why so many very early settlements were on the coast. Extra protein from the sea and a highway! Many very early Aborigine settlements in Oz are on the coast and usually feature large mounds of oyster shells which is how many were identified.
Kon Tiki comes to mind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

How did they fit 12 houses in the car park?
Screenshot_20200711-081903_Metal Pro.jpg
The Greyhound is well known for live music, be interesting to see how the new residents manage that. I bet it's not listed as a selling point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My cousin usually buy loaves of bread for us when she goes into M&S on a Saturday morning. She had a surprise this morning - no bread. So she went to the Greggs bakery - no bread! Food supplies seem to be a bit unreliable these days.

On a different matter...I bought a clock/radio/ alarm from Pure Digital to replace my (very) old Roberts one. I couldn't get the model I wanted locally so I went online and found it on the company's web site available with free delivery. Pure Digital are based in Hertfordshire but when the radio was delivered two days later by UPS courier it had come from Austria via Rotterdam and was in a box labelled `Nippon Express'! I plugged it in and was pleased to see it had a large, easy to read digital display which is why I chose it. Later I was a lot less happy. It has automatic adjustment of brightness and after dark it had gone so dim I couldn't read the display unless my face was a foot or less from it. In the morning when the curtains were still closed but enough sunlight was coming through that I could read a book in bed the display was still set on dim and hardly visible at all. I'm not impressed - another duff design!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

We have just watched the “Mr. Kipling” story.
Hubby does enjoy Mr Kipling cakes, though they are an imported item here, and I only buy them for him if they are on special.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

"Mr Kipling - makes exceedingly small cakes" :extrawink: :laugh5:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

They are “very small” but when you have a Diabetic hubby who can’t have many treats....eeeeh...he does love them very occasionally.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, read the manual, there's usually an adjustment for the amount of dimming.
I am peculiar, I don't need an alarm, I just think of the time I want to waken and it works. Not so when I was working, I needed a big alarm clock with a powerful ring!
A message from Jingoe to say he had heard Terry Gissing is unwell. Anyone local heard anything?
I saw a clip on Youtube of Paul Robeson singing Joe Hill to Welsh miners. Brought a tear to my eye, a different age! (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 12 Jul 2020, 02:32 Tiz, read the manual, there's usually an adjustment for the amount of dimming.
I thought the same but it's not an option according to Pure Digital's Q&A page...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Such conveniences are less common nowadays - they are dropped in favour of things like Bluetooth. Mrs Tiz has decided to try it out, her eyes are younger and brighter than mine! I'll probably buy this RNIB offering instead! RNIB
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My Pure clock radio is fine, but too bright at night for me, I still have to cover it up if I can't sleep.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When I got my Roberts radio it was too bright for me but on reading the destructions I found there was an adjustment.
What got my attention yesterday was how complicated a simple task like positioning and drilling six holes was. It took me forever and I narrowly missed some pitfalls but got it almost exactly right, just a bit of adjustment needed. Today will be much easier. But that's why I like doing these things, they keep my brain active and it's such a pleasure when it goes reasonably well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

One letter off the daily draw in the Postcode Lottery today! Someone around Fernlea Avenue is £1000 better off. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's the accurate positioning and drilling of screw holes that causes me most grief. I can get the measurements correct but when drilling starting to drill it's easy for the bit to get slightly deflected by harder patches. Breeze blocks are a typical offender and the house bricks locally tend to have tiny hard pebbles, probably chert which is locally abundant.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've met the problem Pater. Lots to be said for the old star drills. Next time, try a punch hole on the location first, you'll get better results.
My world is dominated at the moment by Jack being sick after eating grass. I sometimes wonder why we put up with it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Dogs eat grass to cure their gut problem, because it makes them chuck. He has probably got a hair ball...or he has swallowed something he shouldn’t, like a bit of his ball. (Well the ball he likes to fetch, not one attached to his anatomy!)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”