WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Marilyn »

He should have been frog marched to the exit two years ago...
It's called malingering.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

The 3 month old baby boy mentioned previously, has died of his injuries. Five dead now and 4 critical.
The idiot who ran him down has 4 children...
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Yes and I expect he will now be protected by the mental health act and we may not hear about him again.....
But how do the victims, their families and friends cope??
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's tragic and yes we have cases like that here where people on bail commit further crime. It saves money not putting them in gaol on remand.....
Good snooker last night and today Ronnie Sullivan is in the final. It could be a great match. Looks as though I miss my afternoon sleep!
I wrote a couple of articles about Open College at Nelson and Colne College and got some surprising feedback. I was congratulated for bringing David Moore's name to the fore and Uncle Bob Bliss mailed me to say he was the external examiner on my final paper in the second year of the course, the one that got me the interview at Lancaster. Small world.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm still fuming about the lie sheet put out by the Tories blaming cuts on Labour administered councils. They make no mention of Tory cuts and unrelenting austerity. The Nasty Party!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

Popped up in an Earby facebook group...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ahh..... My days of being an Arkwright and Open All Hours! I have always said that doing that job was one of the most rewarding learning curves of my life, and there have been quite a few! It's a smaller scale but running a business like that carries the same problems as being in charge of a large firm but without the resources. And then there were the customers........
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The Commons environment committee says ministers were not addressing what it called fragmented, inefficient and ineffective flood management, according to a BBC News article. The article includes this: "They say developers who increase flood risk by breaching planning conditions should be obliged to compensate homeowners. In addition, the report says local councils should be forced to publish annual summaries of planning decisions they approve against Environment Agency flood advice. Also, water and sewage companies should have a say on planning applications to prevent new developments adding to flood risk." I've been complaining for years about planners ignoring the Environment Agency's advice on flood risk but seems only now the politicians thinks it's time to act. LINK

Another bit of trouble is brewing down at the Stonehenge World Heritage Site where Highways England wants to build a tunnel and flyover to speed traffic past the site. It's open to public consultation and locals and archaeologists are opposed because of the gross disturbance of an area that is full of ancient monuments and artefacts. Most at risk is the Blick Mead site which is much older than Stonehenge and relates to the earliest human habitation in England after the Ice Ages. And guess what...we now find that Highways England have already been digging up the area! `Stonehenge tunnel excavation sparks 'done deal' fears' LINK

As I write, this news pops up: `UK government loses Brexit court ruling' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote:
As I write, this news pops up: `UK government loses Brexit court ruling' LINK
How many months and how much has it cost to decide what was already written in the rules for the referendum?

I have maintained that this was the legal position since we had the advisory vote.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We'll nominate you for the Supreme Court, Ian - fancy yourself in a wig? :laugh5:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They can pay me the same as a Supreme Court Judge if they wish Tiz! :grin: It would have been a lot cheaper than what has been spent over the last six months.

I distinctly remember visiting the .gov website and looking up the rules for the referendum when it was first mooted. It stated then that votes cast in referendums are only advisory and would require passing into law via both houses.
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Go easy on the lady afterall she was only the Home Secretary for about 6 years and Prime minister for 6 months you can't expect her to know everything about the law. What intrigued me was the total absence of any comment in the news media that she was wrong on this particular issue. They all concentrated on an amendment to give Scotland and Wales a veto on the referendum result. With this and the Trident fiasco you sometimes wonder who is pulling the strings.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I held the same view as the Supreme Court consistently after the referendum. The reports also contained no mention of the time taken and our money spent on appealing the original decision. One of the main points of the Brexiteers was that they wanted to make our justice system pre-eminent again and as soon as that same justice system judged them in the wrong they cried foul, appealed and never tried to stop a media campaign from the Right vilifying the judges. Also not mentioned was the damage done to the modern habit of the government of the day claiming use of what was the Royal Prerogative to bulldoze unpopular measures through by-passing Parliament. Like going to war with the US in Iraq......
THIS caught my attention, the growing tendency to require women to dress in certain ways at work such as high heels, revealing outfits and requirements to dye hair and use make-up. I am totally on the women's side here. If they have to wear high heels why not the men etc.? This is sexist, demeans women and shows that the basic values of certain employers are antediluvian and discriminate against women. Some things never seem to change..... It's a disgrace that even the feeble regulations already in place aren't being used.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

They should make all the blokes dress like the ones in your favourite advert Stanley. :grin:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wikipedia: "This Bill [EU Referendum Act 2015] required a referendum to be held on the question of the UK’s continued membership of the European Union before the end of 2017. The bill does not contain any requirement for the UK Government to implement the results of the referendum, nor set a time limit by which a vote to leave the EU should be implemented. Instead, this is a type of referendum known as pre-legislative or consultative, which enables the electorate to voice an opinion which then influences the Government in its policy decisions."

Our local town is once again plagued by traffic jams due to work designed to improve a road junction so that EDF Hinckley C vehicles can get through. It started two days ago and the projected end date is 23rd January 2018! We had exactly the same on the other side of the town a couple of years ago, again for EDF Hinckley C. That was the same, 12 months to widen the junction and put in new traffic lights. I can't understand why it takes so long to do the work. It's very frustrating for residents and businesses in the town as well as for those like us who need to make regular visits from around about. Mrs Tiz tried to go there to do the shopping yesterday and had to go elsewhere - it was gridlocked because there was also road works to repair a burst water main. We need to go in again but we're putting it off. The water main job hasn't finished yet and and there have been several car crashes around the town this morning, probably due to the icy roads. My dad (an ardent Daily Express reader) would have said "It's mayhem, mayhem!"
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a good idea Ian!!!
I see it's David Whipp's birthday today, he's 21 again....
Commiserations Tiz.... They'll look well if the bloody thing never gets built.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: I see it's David Whipp's birthday today, he's 21 again....
Aye, I can't see what the problem is with being in your 60's, is there a Dorian Grey syndrome? :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I find the portrait in the attic doesn't age, it's still me that crumbles..... but slowly!
Trump and his detestable prejudices. This man is dangerous! He has no objection to torture but says he'll 'leave it to the CIA', Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

By handing the whip over to the spooks, an organisation that he despises anyway, he has ensured that if there is any backlash he can just blame it on them. How long before he signs an executive order for internment camps for foreign nationals? They have plenty of room for what would amount to ethnic cleansing. Where have we seen that before?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Quite. Just had news in from Oz. See THIS. A plane has crashed in Perth and the Australia Day fireworks have been cancelled .
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The hysterical reporting of the visit by PM May to the White House...... Surreal.... This is the modern substitute for proper diplomacy and negotiation. All flim flam!

Later..... Two Images in from John Burlison. He got this Platt souvenir from Budapest and amongst the pics was one of Ellenroad.

The book is dated 1929. Interesting to note that there is no perimeter wall and that there is a full coal stock stretching right across the back of the mill and down the side nearest to the road.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How much better daughter Susan looked yesterday. She commented later on Whatsapp that she noticed the same thing about me. Wendy's dietary advice and a bit of distance from Janet's death is slowly working I think.
Bit of a surprise this morning! 'Bells on Sunday' on R4 features Gill Church ringing 'Barnoldswick Bob Minor'! It's playing as I write and sounds fine.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've mentioned the traffic chaos in one of our local towns, Bridgwater, due to the EDF Hinckley C work. We managed to get into the town yesterday and visit a plumber's merchant that has its shop at one of the worst hit road junctions. They're seriously worried about their ability to keep the business going due to the fall in trade. The signs on the works say it will go on for 29 weeks; the details in the local newspaper say it continues until January 2018. It affects a large retail area of the town that has a concentration of all the merchants used by tradesmen and the stores with builders' yards etc. A one-way system has been set up with single lane traffic where there would usually be two lanes. The plumber's merchant said his driver took a delivery to the next town 10 miles away when they opened at 08.00 and he didn't get back until 11.00 due to the traffic. One of the roads affected is the A38 trunk road which runs north-south through the town. Whenever there is an accident on the local stretch of the M5 the traffic diverts to the A38 so you can imagine what the town will be like then! Shoppers and tradesmen are going to other towns instead and Bridgwater's traders will be hit hard.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've just signed the petition to stop Donald trump making a State Visit to the UK. It quickly passed the number of names needed for Parliament to have to respond. About 2000 more people voted in the few minutes it took me to sign. It's coming up to 387,000 as I write. The web page is here: Trump petition

There's a BBC news page about it too:
`Calls to stop President Trump's state visit to UK' LINK
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

I'd go a stage further and keep him out altogether.

Needless to say I've signed.

440,000 and counting.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”