WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

I know I am a nuisance but where the hell is 'site announcements'?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

One dinosaur to another. Board Index>> Regular Member Area >>Site Donations >>Announcements>> Site Funding.
Nothing could be easier.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The site announcements are the locked posts that are pinned to the top of each sub forum. We only have three, New Members Read Me, Browsing Options for the Site and Site Funding which I have modified slightly to reflect the current status.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Mrs Tiz has made a contribution to OG now that we have a donate button again.

Seeing Moh and Panbiker announce the athletic success of their relatives I should mention that one of my cousin's daughters is goalie in the Under 14s hockey team that has just won the Somerset County championship. As most of the team is a year younger than the members of the other teams they are expected to win next year too! :cool4:

On a different note, what caught my attention is that Facebook has reported the BBC to the police for `distributing images of child exploitation'! The real story is that the BBC reported dozens of photos to Facebook which were promoting child exploitation on the Facebook web site, but more than 80% were not removed by the company. They included images from groups where men were discussing swapping what appeared to be child abuse material. When provided with examples of the images, Facebook reported the BBC journalists involved to the police and cancelled plans for an interview. Facebook subsequently issued a statement: "It is against the law for anyone to distribute images of child exploitation." The chairman of the Commons media committee, Damian Collins, said he had "grave doubts" about the effectiveness of Facebook's content moderation systems. He said it was extraordinary that the BBC had been reported to the authorities when it was trying to "help clean up the network". LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Wikileaks reporting that CIA hacking iphone/androids and with MI5 Samsung smart TVs , using internal microphones even when device appears off to eavesdrop on conversations. Shades of 1984(Book). One cannot really think what kind of info they seek to gain and make any kind of use of given ones home internal muttering on trival things.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The return of the 'donate' button. Thanks Ian, I have used it this morning.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that BBC R4 on the iPlayer isn't loading....... No sweat, the FM radio is still working!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We've just had another of those frustrating episodes where you can't get companies to talk to each other and they make what should be a very simple matter into a major problem. We've had a personal domain name for our email for the last 15 years but the company with which it was registered is closing down. They gave instructions on how to transfer to another firm and I followed these and set up an account with 1&1. All seemed to be well until 1&1 said they couldn't contact the owner of the domain (me!) to get permission for the transfer. To cut a long story short I had to contact three parties: 1&1, JTN (the old firm) and my broadband provider, Plusnet. Each was telling me to contact the others and this went on until our email stopped because 1&1 had let it expire. JTN had deleted my account so I couldn't get back any of the information from there. Things were made worse by each firm trying to tell me it was all working when it obviously wasn't (false facts again!). Eventually it all got sorted but it was a lot of unnecessary stress! No wonder productivity is said to be so low in Britain, we're all occupied in clearing up problems caused by those who are supposed to be providing our services.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can understand your anger Tiz. Could it be a mixture of laziness, bad management and incompetence?
Two things are exercising me at the moment. The first is the fact that the Met Office page for the Barlick local weather forecast went AWOL three days ago and all you got was a message it was down, try again later. Yesterday I smelled a rat and went digging and found it is a new page, different URL and re-designed. Why weren't we simply given the new page?
The second glitch is that for three days now BBCR4 'listen live' on the web simply comes up with a window telling you it's 'loading'. In a pig's ear! It's been loading for three days.....What the hell is going on?
Later.... News in the paper that Pendle Council have got a grant for flood works, to be spent this year, of £215,000. This plus funds already agreed mean that there is almost a quarter of a million going into this work. Well done all concerned. (An u8ngracious thought.... How long before we get a Tory publication telling us of the works and how they are responsible.... Surely not?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 10 Mar 2017, 04:25 I can understand your anger Tiz. Could it be a mixture of laziness, bad management and incompetence?
Two things are exercising me at the moment. The first is the fact that the Met Office page for the Barlick local weather forecast went AWOL three days ago and all you got was a message it was down, try again later. Yesterday I smelled a rat and went digging and found it is a new page, different URL and re-designed. Why weren't we simply given the new page?
The second glitch is that for three days now BBCR4 'listen live' on the web simply comes up with a window telling you it's 'loading'. In a pig's ear! It's been loading for three days.....What the hell is going on?
This is the sort of thing that I'm always ranting about. I'm sorry it's happening to you too...but I'm glad to know it isn't just me! I've twice had to email the BBC to tell them their online weather forecasts for our area haven't been working for several days. Then there are all these radio and TV electronic programme guides (EPGs) that go AWOL or get corrupted. The more we get `connected' the more ways they can cause us trouble! We record programmes using the EPG on our digital radio but many of them are topped and/or tailed, bits missing at the beginning or end. It's really irritating when they end several minutes before they should and you miss the concluding remarks or important facts.

One more little example. Our plumber came here the other day to replace taps on some washbasins and replace one basin. He phoned the night before to say he'd do the taps but apologised and said the basin would have to wait. The plumber's merchant got the taps but failed to notice that the basin hadn't been delivered. Grrrr!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

BBC listen live is AWOL, still 'loading'. The listen again items are fine. I remember that PE reported a deal done with Siemens for all digital services at the BBC had to be cancelled because the delivery was so bad but the problem remained that because equipment had been changed much of the new equipment had to be retained and this was what was causing the continuing problems like outages and drop-outs.
If I was a nuclear submarine I would be forced to conclude that Armageddon had arrived......
A common problem these days, a national service is struggling to operate, usually due to lack of staff or funding.... (Oh. And there is always my old favourite, gross incompetence!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

BBC Listen live works fine for me this morning.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 07:29 BBC Listen live works fine for me this morning.
Just tried it on my phone, all working here too.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Need to pick Ian's brain on this one, I have an LG flatscreen tv that's just 'died' (no stanby light etc). I've done the usual checks, fuse, swapped out the power lead etc but no joy. A quick Google points at capacitors on the power board, a cheap fix apparently but beyond the capabilities of my fat fingers :-).

Ian, what's your LG knowledge like? The tv is 3 years old and has spent most of its time in standby mode; is it worth me getting it fixed?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Our 32 inch LG smart TV died in a similar manner. Used as a secondary TV mostly on standby. Garlck's required a £30 deposit to look at it. Then declared the power board had failed at £110. You then have to make up your own mind what to do.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Kev, if it's 3 years old contact LG direct and tell them it's died and ask for a replacement. I did that with my LG computer monitor when it died after 3 years and there was a new one delivered two days later. They seemed to be very flexible about replacement and expected their stuff to last well. Of course, it might all have changed but it's worth a try.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

New boards look to be around £25, I'll see what Ian suggests. Be a shame to bin it, it still looks brand new.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 12:40 Kev, if it's 3 years old contact LG direct and tell them it's died and ask for a replacement. I did that with my LG computer monitor when it died after 3 years and there was a new one delivered two days later. They seemed to be very flexible about replacement and expected their stuff to last well. Of course, it might all have changed but it's worth a try.
I'll give that a go, cheers Tizer
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Been screwing ceilings up Kev.

Been out of the TV game for over 25 years now Kev. Having said that I have repaired a couple of flat screen monitors of my own in the past which both turned out to be dried out capacitors. A quick search on the internet led to repair info and replacement capacitor sets off Ebay. The biggest problem is finding the info and a schematic of what you need to effect the repair. You really need someone with the bench space to accommodate a TV though. I would try Tizers suggestion and maybe sound Gary out on Rainhall Road, he wont have the same overheads as Garlicks so you may get a better quote. Have you Googled the problem? If it just comes down to a board repair with a know problem and passive components it shouldn't be too bad. I don't have any surface mount rework stuff any more but can do passives if I have the info.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 16:33 Have you Googled the problem? If it just comes down to a board repair with a know problem and passive components it shouldn't be too bad. I don't have any surface mount rework stuff any more but can do passives if I have the info.
Good to hear the ceiling is up, it feels like you're getting somewhere once the dry lining starts. I did have a Google and it points at capacitors on the power supply board, the posts I found mentioned which capacitors to replace but I need to double check the model number. I did find replacement boards on Ebay for around £25, if it's just a case of slotting a new board in I can do that. I need to Google it a bit more and get some more info.

Update :-)
Further research shows there are repair kits available for less than a tenner on t'internet, the tv is an LG 32LD450 and there is a link to a used board on Ebay which has a picture and identifies the part number http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152438035888
I presume the board is just screws and a plug? Board prices vary between £17 and £40, I'm just after advice now, new board or repair kit? :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wendy, BBC listen live is a bit of a mystery. The play again programmes on the Home page work fine but listen live is silent. I've tried going straight to the web page on Google and accessing it from there but still no joy. Anyone got any suggestions?
Kev, all I can say on the TV problem is that Garry has always done me proud.....
Something has been bothering me for a while.... What is it with what seems to be the fashionable unshaven look? I see prominent men who know they are going to be on TV and appear unshaven and to my eye, unkempt. I suppose I'm a product of my generation and army service but even when I was starting work at midnight I always had a shave before going out of the house. I do it today and all I'm doing is taking Jack for an early morning walk. I suppose it's up to the individual but I do wish they'd have a shave! I know what my old sergeant major would have told them.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 03:41 Anyone got any suggestions?
Have you cleared the cache on your browser?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 12 Mar 2017, 03:41What is it with what seems to be the fashionable unshaven look?
It isn't laziness or lack of hygiene, Stanley, it's a carefully crafted style. Why not give it a try! :grin:

On a sad note, a lady died and one had serious head injuries not far from our village yesterday when a trailer became detached from a tractor on the main A road and demolished their car. Some of these big tractors go very fast, especially on the A roads, and they are pulling long trailers stacked high with those plastic-wrapped bales of hay. The regulations were changed in 2015: "The maximum combination weight limit for tractors and trailers has increased from 24.39 tonnes to 31 tonnes along with a rise in the speed limit for tractors to 40km/h (approximately 25mph), up from 20mph, saving time and money." Some of the big tractors seem to be going at more than 25mph through our village.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 19:46
PanBiker wrote: 11 Mar 2017, 16:33 Have you Googled the problem? If it just comes down to a board repair with a know problem and passive components it shouldn't be too bad. I don't have any surface mount rework stuff any more but can do passives if I have the info.
Update :-)
Further research shows there are repair kits available for less than a tenner on t'internet, the tv is an LG 32LD450 and there is a link to a used board on Ebay which has a picture and identifies the part number http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152438035888
I presume the board is just screws and a plug? Board prices vary between £17 and £40, I'm just after advice now, new board or repair kit? :-)
The board uses all passive components so it's re-workable. Question is, do you chuck a tenner at it assuming that the power supply is the actual fault. I can say looking at it that the PSU does have a lot of the usual suspects on board. If you can, open it up and have a look at the board you may get a good idea by looking at the single ended vertically mounted capacitors. when they blow it's fairly obvious but you may also see bellowing of the casings indicated by the top end of the capacitor bulging. If you look carefully they have a cross on the end which is part of the aluminium casing, this is to weaken it so that it alleviates potential massive explosion under catastrophic failure. If its swollen or bulging the capacitor is faulty and does need replacement. capacitors are subject to drying out and may or may not exhibit any outwardly visible signs of failure, its worth a quick check though.

You could go for the board but there is no guarantee that is the problem, you would then have a duff TV and an extra PSU!

If the kits can give you all the capacitors to replace the usually known failures, (they normally do), I would risk the tenner. I will gladly do the rework on the board for you Kev.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Thanks Ian, I'll take a look and see what's to do.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”