WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

Think carefully before adding them to your lives Bodge. Contacting lost relatives can be great but I've seen it cause problems. I've got one in particular but on balance decided not to poke a stick into what could potentially be a hornet's nest. Do I need that?
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That’s interesting Bodger, where do your parents and grandparents hail from? 🤔
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I forgot to mention, the hard weekend Lewis Hamilton had in Russia. I think he was badly served and ill-judged but he will bounce back!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Bodger

Post by Bodger »

hat’s interesting Bodger, where do your parents and grandparents hail from?
Me Sheffield

Sheffield / Keighley

Sheffield / Sheffield Keighley / Keighley

India / Surrey Scotland / Yorkshire Derbys / Keighley Malton / Malton

Note the India, John Riley he was in the Queens Lancers his father was a farrier in the 15th Hussars, he started a family in 1834 Dublin a daughter Anne and a son John H b.1839, Hamilton, he was posted to India and started another family with another woman ?, i have no details of his heritage, what i have is fro army records
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I love Ancestry!
My former parents-in-law were not allowed to date if either of them were Catholic. ( no doubt one of the first questioned asked, and cleared, neither of them were).
I have done the rather lonely task of discovering my son’s paternal heritage. I had “one of those revealing moments” when searching a graveyard in blistering heat (water bottle in hand and sturdy hat on)...to find his married ancestors separated in death and buried apart in different areas of the graveyard. Why? Their love was strong enough to sustain then through long marriages, but in death, religion placed them apart. So cruel.
Why?
As I sat in the relative shade of a tomb, trying to digest it all, I can only imagine that as man or wife died, the respective family “claimed them back” to be buried according to protocol of “their family”, possibly against their wishes...
( my son has amazing Ancestors...people to be inspired by...yet religion seems to be a constant bugbear to the family.)
I have no religious inclination and my son is the same.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I can remember my former parents-in-law going on about “the Germans”.
Ha...then I discover his grandmother was German! ( and the family she came from became famous here for planting wine grapes etc and their industry still flourishes today)
Unbelievable...
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Bodger, with your new DNA info, are you surprised , does it answer any questions/feelings/ hunches you might have always had?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Bodger

Post by Bodger »

I was surprised by the amount of Scandinavian but i have a reason for searching, at one of our daughters marriage in 1990 i was asked by an old family friend of my parents(who were divorced) whether i had ever found anything about a son who my father had sired in Denmark at the end of the war, i had known he had an affair but not about the child . so i have been searching since i retired in 2000 without success so far but i will keep trying
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the same type of connection I was referring to but in our case it was an actual marriage. When I did the last researches with the rest of the family and friends it turned out that when he eventually volunteered for the army under a false name he never mentioned he had a wife and child. We found out from his army records because she claimed Married Wife's allowance and eventually got it. I don't think it would be a good idea to chase that one!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

A few weeks ago, we noticed that the bird’s nest under the eaves of our back deck had become a two storey nest, with the original opening still at the bottom and a new opening near the top.
This morning four little babies popped out, had breakfast alfresco (fed by the two parents...how they keep track is beyond me), then all four little ones went for a first flight. They only went about 2 metres, with much flapping and effort. It took them a while to calm down afterwards, before the awkward flight back to a ledge near the nest. Thrilling stuff for them I expect.
Their little tummies had to be topped up of course and now they are back in the nest for a nap.
Good little time wasters they are...I stood watching them for ages. Must catch up with my work now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's not wasting time Maz and you know it. Wonderful stuff and so good for the soul.

Despite it being a lousy wet afternoon, I wanted these two pics of the Jubilee Memorial in its new location. Not finished yet because they still have to reinstall the light on top but looking good I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I agree, very attractive and nicely sited at that location. Well done to the planners!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perhaps it has now arrived at its final home China. It has been moved three times now! I hope so and when it is finished and the uplighting is operational it should be quite striking.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Had to call in to the local shopping centre today, as hubby needed advice about his new phone.
It was Bedlam. School holidays ( and living in a holiday destination) made it overcrowded and very scared. I found the biggest space I could in a quiet corner. When hubby was done, he asked if I needed anything while we where here.
No! Just get me out of here! Now!
No social distancing at all...it was so stressful.
Possibly made worse as Halloween stuff was everywhere, alongside Christmas Trees, Christmas Decorations etc...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How can Halloween work this year?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Don't miss this bit of fun video...
`Spitting Image: The voice of Boris Johnson and Donald Trump. The British satirical TV puppet show Spitting Image is returning this week - on streaming service BritBox. Comedian Matt Forde is the voice of British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and US President Donald Trump's puppets. He told BBC World News America that the show is "just as outrageous, grotesque and ludicrous" as it was in the 1980s.' Spitting Image
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

One thing is for certain, they have a rich seam of materiel to go at. Both Trump and Bojo are perfect as satirical targets. Daft thing is, no matter how grotesque they portray them we already know it will not be too far from the truth.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I listened to that interview and was struck by the fact that one of the informants said it was even more savage than the original. Did I also hear that it was not going to be available on normal terrestrial TV but only on streaming services?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`The ten-part revival of Spitting Image is set to premiere exclusively on BritBox on Saturday 3rd October 2020, before airing weekly.' (Radio Times LINK )
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 03:06 but only on streaming services?
It's on Britbox which seems to be a joint venture between BBC and ITV. Extra subscription cost of about £5 pcm after a seven day free trial. Having just started paying the TV licence again I find this hard to take. I suppose they need the money to pay all their star presenters.

Charles Moore is rumoured to be about to be appointed Chairman , and his column in the Spectator was missing yesterday, so perhaps it's true. That'll stir them all up. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I feel I'm another Blackburn born person who played a role in the success of Asda. I spent a summer filling the shelves in the old Accrington Asda store back in the late 1960s! I went on to graduate science studies and my pal went through day release business studies and eventually became internal auditor for Asda.
`Asda bought by billionaire Issa brothers in £6.8bn deal' LINK
`Two billionaire brothers from Blackburn have won the battle to buy Asda from Walmart of the US, in a deal valuing the supermarket chain at £6.8bn. A consortium of Zuber and Mohsin Issa and private equity firm TDR Capital will take a majority stake in Asda. It means the grocer will return to majority UK ownership for the first time in two decades. The Issa brothers own EG Group, which has more than 5,200 petrol stations across the UK and Europe..'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wonder if they'll treat employees better than Walmart did? I hope so...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, Charles Moore has announced he has withdrawn from the panel for the BBC Director General....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yes I noticed that he was down as a non runner. I think the pay must have been a factor. Perhaps if they offered as much as Lineker gets he may have been tempted. :smile:

We'll have to wait till Dominic says who is next in the queue for the job
Andrew Neil will be busy next year with his new station, so I guess it'll have to be Dido Harding, though I wouldn't completely rule out Piers Morgan - at Lincoln odds. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I often consult the Trex website for recipe info and inspiration.
I was surprised to see an Australian Company having a registered trademark, selling outdoor decking material and calling themselves Trex.
Possibly Trex UK never registered their name as a trademark.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”