WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

All of the links appear to be down when I tried them Kev. I also tried the ones from the Barlick Talk FB Page, they return a secure connection error.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No problem with the link now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Both links failed this morning.
Maz you have my sympathy, I have had that problem in the past.....
Talktalk had one of its rare brain farts and refused my password yesterday. It had healed itself up this morning.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Again both links work fine for me. Either I keep catching it at the right moment or there is a problem with certain browsers. :geek:
I'm on my tablet using Chrome, just tried with Firefox and got the same error message as Ian & Stanley.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Potentially browser then. Works on Chrome for me on laptop and phone...

This development is definitely something that needs stopping as it will have a major impact on what Visit Lancashire describe as "the best kept locks in Britain".
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They work for me on Chrome as well. Firefox will not run at all on my laptop this morning, will look at that later when I have scanned the board.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We had big updates of Firefox Quantum on our 32 and 64 bit PCs yesterday. All is OK, including links on OG - except for the recent Pendle ones in this thread.

A warning for everyone who has car insurance. The insurance companies have beefed up their use of the `Claims and Underwriting Exchange' which now tracks every contact that you make with your insurance company as well as other data. People are finding that if they ring the company to ask, for example, if a minor incident would be covered or not it gets registered in the database and their premium is then raised even though they didn't make a claim. Some companies are being even more vigorous in their use of the data - if you switch companies and start a new policy elsewhere that company may contact you in the future and accuse you of not having declared all relevant information in your application, such as that phone call some years ago to ask about the details of your policy. They then say your premium should have been higher and charge you extra. I know it sounds unlikely but this has been happening to people recently. So beware!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I got whacked with this one Tiz when I changed my car insurer this year. They charged me an extra £50 for not declaring what to them is classed as a claim. A few years ago I notified my old insurers that my car had been scraped by an uninsured driver, I did not make a claim and only contacted them to avail them of the situation. The fact that I rang them is classed as a claim on the underwriting system and apparently cannot be altered on the database.
To claim my money back I need to obtain written confirmation from my previous insurers that regardless of the database no claim was made, I have had no joy so far despite numerous phone calls and correspondence on the matter. Seems like the system is designed to black mark as many as possible for simply talking to their insurers to allow further charges to be levied. It's double standards as they are quite happy to apply my above 11 years of NCD whilst still charging me the extra £50 for a claim I did not make.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tizer wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 09:27 We had big updates of Firefox Quantum on our 32 and 64 bit PCs yesterday
Me too - overnight. Without so much as a 'by your leave' They say it will be faster - and I think it probably is. Cunning how they moved the start page / home icon, but I've found it. :smile:
Everything else seems to be still there. I'll give it a :good:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I had to download an install Quantum to get it to fix my no run problem. It's sorted it and it now runs OK but will still not run the links from earlier in the thread, all work in Chrome.

There is another anomaly which seems to be Firefox related as well. I have mentioned in the past and I think others may have noticed that "go to last post" doesn't always go to the last post in the thread, it sometimes enters much higher up and you have to scroll down to get to where you want to be. This seems to be particularly noticeable in threads with a lot of images.

I have just checked Shed Matters on both Firefox and Chrome. Firefox enters near the top of the thread, Chrome nails it and does what the link says and puts you exactly on the last post.

I like Firefox but I may be changing my default browser to Chrome shortly.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 07:49 Potentially browser then. Works on Chrome for me on laptop and phone...

This development is definitely something that needs stopping as it will have a major impact on what Visit Lancashire describe as "the best kept locks in Britain".
I have had a reply from the Canal and Rivers Trust, they are referring it to their planning people.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Big Kev wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 13:02
Big Kev wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 07:49 Potentially browser then. Works on Chrome for me on laptop and phone...

I have had a reply from the Canal and Rivers Trust, they are referring it to their planning people.
The C&RT Planning People have responded

The Canal & River Trust is a statutory consultee for planning applications
likely to affect our waterways and I can confirm that we have been consulted
in respect of this application.
We are currently considering our response, which is due next week, and I
would be happy to share this with you in due course.

Further details on the Trusts role as a statutory consultee can be found on
our website if you are interested
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us ... consult-us
Our role as statutory consultee is to comment upon those issues that
directly affect the Trust. Examples include the impact of the loading of
development on the waterway, the impact on water quality, the impact on
ecology, the impact on users, and the impact on the setting of the waterway
(which includes the setting of historic assets associated with the
waterway).

In each case as statutory consultee, we respond with an informed opinion on
the application in relation to the direct impact on the waterway. Due to
the statutory role, we are unable to get directly involved in local
campaigns to influence development.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 10:40 Seems like the system is designed to black mark as many as possible for simply talking to their insurers to allow further charges to be levied.
Exactly that, and some of the companies are being very creative in their interpretation. There are newspaper reports of some who've only rung the company to enquire generally about their policy and not about risks or incidents but have still ended up years later being accused of failing to notify the new company of the phone call. A particular offender is One Call Insurance and they're also criticised for being OTT about charging for any contact you have with them.
PanBiker wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 11:30 I have mentioned in the past and I think others may have noticed that "go to last post" doesn't always go to the last post in the thread...
That happens to me so often that I'd assumed it was normal! It mostly goes to an image but not always.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 15:06 PanBiker wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:30 am
I have mentioned in the past and I think others may have noticed that "go to last post" doesn't always go to the last post in the thread...

That happens to me so often that I'd assumed it was normal! It mostly goes to an image but not always.
Could you try it On Chrome from your Ubuntu platform please Tiz? That would help to nail it as a Firefox browser problem. I originally thought it was a bug in the site software but there is nothing on the phpBB support site which I would have expected if that was the case.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I noticed a small change in the Firefox icon on the screen and have also noted that the easy way of refreshing the screen had vanished from the address line but soon found a way round that. The bottom of the page problem is only a couple of posts with me and I have ignored it, not a biggie. As for speed, I hadn't noticed but with the FM3 and fibre speed has never been a problem inside the machine or out. It shows how seamless the change was for me on 64bit that until Tiz mentioned it I didn't know it was a new version. Apart from those two links yesterday I haven't noticed anything not working....
After having read all those posts I looked at the top of the page and saw where the reload button has moved to so that's that one solved!
Just checked and the 2012 links still work.....
The gripes about insurance are well founded I reckon though it doesn't concern me these days, no car! The insurance companies like everyone else are looking for cunning wheezes to extract the maximum profit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ian, I installed Chromium (the Open Source version LINK ) and both of the recent Pendle links in this thread work, so it does look like a Firefox bug.

Added later (had to pop out to the shop!)...I got distracted there due to rushing. What you really wanted to know is whether the `open last post' does give the last post or not in Chrome/Chromium. I've now tried it and with every thread it went to the last post in Chromium except for the Shed Matters where it went to Stanley's first image of the 17th November; in Firefox it took me to one of the images in Stanley's post of the 16th. Likewise, in Forgotten Corners Firefox takes me to an image of horses on the 14th, Flatley Drier to the long johns image of the 14th, Mystery Objects to Gloria's post of the 17th (instead of SG's later post), Politics Corner comes up somewhere between 16th and 17th showing the bottom of the PE image, and so on.

-------------------------------------------------------

A transcript of an interesting Tim Harford radio programme:
`How plastic became a victim of its own success' LINK
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Thanks for that Tiz, one more observation about Quantum before I leave it, they have reverted to rectangular tabs from the former rounded ones. Not a biggie but I find them not as easy on the eye. Chrome actually looks more like the old Firefox.

What actually grabbed my attention today is that it is five years since our Dan died, still seems like yesterday.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've survived the new version of Firefox. The only problem is that they have removed Property Bee from their list of approved add ons Quite essential for we nosey curious people. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

An interview on World Service with Manfred Marx, the geologist who first discovered the Kimberlite Pipe that became De Beers' Orapana Mine in Botswana. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tripps wrote: 18 Nov 2017, 12:01 I've survived the new version of Firefox. The only problem is that they have removed Property Bee from their list of approved add ons Quite essential for we nosey curious people. :smile:
They've also disabled IMTranslator add-on as it isn't compatible with the new version of Firefox. It was very useful for me. Apparently this version of Firefox is a major rewrite
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Despite the claims it is much slower on my laptop, I think I'm going to switch to Chrome.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks Stanley for the geology link. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought of you when I was listening to it. His share in the profits was a 'small bonus'! I'll bet you enjoy it!
I have no problems at all with Quantum......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The speed in which my insurance company have dealt with the claim I made this morning. A vehicle pulled out of a side road, at 08:00 this morning, hitting the offside rear of my car. I have just had confirmation that it's booked in for repair next Monday (I chose the date) and a courtesy car will be available for the duration of the repair.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Big Kev wrote: 20 Nov 2017, 13:01 The speed in which my insurance company have dealt with the claim I made this morning.
That's good service. I'm sure some will be interested in hearing which Insurance company and agent?

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”