WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

The fact that OG was back online. Like the rest of you I am stumbling through the undergrowth and learning how the site works. Must have a look at posting pictures.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Belle
Regular User

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Belle »

Like you Stanley, what attracted me is that OG is back online..and like you I am pottering around trying to make sense of it all, I do hope the adage "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" isn't true or I am going to lose a lot of friends..or myself!
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Post by Bradders Bluesinger »

It's getting easier by the minute !
Still have to "log in" on every visit , but Dexter's Happy !
Two days of mythering was quite enough......9
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Same here, trying to find my way around, but hopefully I will get used to it again, eventually. :?
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Mondays aren't usually as good as this ....
Here's what's happened so far TODAY (HONEST):-
Phoned to claim my OAP .....Was told I'll get a FULL ONE (starts Monday week)...***
Bought a MINT Panasonic DMC-TZ7 (10mPixel & Leica Lens ) from charity shop for £15.00....
Got a phone call for a "Surprise Birthday Party Gig " next Sat.(for a Local Pub Landlady) @ £100.00...
A lady I met last year phoned to say that she'd booked a holiday cottage , nearby, for the week after next...
...and OGFB is UP & RUNNING....YESSSSS !

.....I'm thinking that I just might not get up tomorrow , in case it all goes Tits Up !
(apparently "Light Swearing " is allowed on the new site )

*** Long Story .....wasn't expecting much !
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Did you wear your lucky undies today or something, Bradders?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same thought occurred to me Maz. Watch out Brad, Fate has a habit of balancing things out!

I decided yesterday that the Xmas Present cold is gone, apart from a few lingering side effects. Energy levels almost back to normal and not before time. From conversations with Susan and other people a lot have had it and all report the same 4 week's duration. Of course we will never know but I wonder how much the flu and pneumonia jabs helped.

OG deprivation wasn't all bad. I got five articles written for the BET and one almost done. Nice to have a cushion, it takes the pressure off when you have some in stock.

I suppose we all have the same initial reaction to the new platform but as we stumble around in the undergrowth it will all become clearer. On the whole it was well worth the effort Doc has put in, Lots of improved features and I love the spell check it actually works! Mind you, it won't be dyslexia proof, not all spilling mistakes will be caught!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I note that we have returned over 200 dried heads to their home country, was it New Zealand? They were 'collected' by anthropologists who wanted to study the tattoos. All in favour of it. I have never been able to understand why we still keep things like the Elgin Marbles when it is quite obvious they should be back on the Parthenon(?) in Greece. Different attitudes in those days, we thought we were superior and had a right to do such things in the name of scholarship. Those days have gone and wrongs need righting.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bloody Pingu is back! It won't let me submit a result but nice to see an old favourite again! You can tell I'm posted out can't you. I shall go away now until tomorrow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Doc
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Doc »

I have an issue with the arcade which hopefully i will sort out today, you should then be able to save your scores
Best Regards
Doc
Site Administrator
Chief Stoker - Royal Navy (Retired)
Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

The wee mouse in the (sorry fellas) humane trap which I baited with chocolate last night. The wee timmering chappie was let out into the back garden - specifically pointed towards Dennis' house next-door. Hopefully that is the only moose loose aboot this house (hoots mon)! :D
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

bradders wrote " light swearing is allowed on the new site"...that's as maybe but I think you are over using your exclamation marks!! (see rules for etiquette).
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've just bookmarked this OG page because for me it's most like the old forum's home page listing and the way that I've always found active OG threads - but then I'm a bit of a dinosaur and like the old ways!
http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=42
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

Now Then Belle......What has the way one should pass the Port got to do with punctuation ?
Like you Peter , I liked the way you could see ,at a glance, what was "going on" with the "Last 30 " page on the old site ......
and the "active " page here is the nearest to it ....
If the topics could be ordered in "Last posted time " it would be just the same (ish)...
.....Oooops ... They are , but this post seems to be recorded as having been made tomorrow (Better check the time zone in my profile ....I hate arriving early ...STOPPIT ) ! ! (Damn)
Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

DOoOC! Do lots of full stops count the same as more than one exclamation mark?..I'm Telling!
:D
I am one of the dinosaurs who did everything off the ( oh can't scroll up to see what you called it) topic page, or whatever it was called, I also kept logged on and just clicked OG on favourites..I guess I shall have to get used to using the stairs!
Bradders Bluesinger
Regular User

There is something "rotten in the state of petroleum" when the slightest wobble is an instant excuse for a "Fat Cat " (in a suit) to be wheeled out on the tele spouting ....." I can see a RECORD price for Diesel at the pumps within days "...
Fine , there is uncertainty about the company that owns the Essex refinery....but it is still functioning , and we are told that there is no threat of the stocks held elsewhere running out (a 2 month reserve is in place )
The lame explanation given for a price hyke was something to do with having to move the material from "different locations" ...
This is NOT a large country .
Someone is AT IT !
If I remember the News Report correctly , the Essex plant is one of Eight (?) refineries in the UK.
Given the recent economic downturn and (even more importantly ) the fuel saving measures everyone is taking **** , are the other Seven working anywhere near full capacity ?
I doubt it.

**** Have you noticed how much slower people are driving on the motorways these days ? (not to mention how frugal modern vehicles are)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree about the refinery Brad. In the early clip the 'expert' forecasted a diesel price of £1.43 a litre by the end of the week, in later screenings that was cut.
I agree with Tiz about the old active 30 but have found that if I start on the 'Registered Users' page there is a list of recent topics and it's easy to work from that. I use the Recent History caret next to the arrows in the Firefox bar to get back to the registered users page. When I've worked through the active topics I look at the category list on the registered users page to see if there are any I have missed. No doubt there will be an easier way but I haven't found it yet. On the whole, I think I'm getting the hang of it, certainly a lot faster than the old platform....
Posted a tenner to Doc yesterday so I've paid for a month of the new platform. Let's not forget he's still out of pocket!!!!
Nice to see Meg at the top of the page. A good dog.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Belle
Regular User

Post by Belle »

Ha ha, Meg was a train by the time I looked!

On topic, I am begining to be a bit suspicious about "news" and who is reporting it.(Not you two, Bradders and Stanley) nationally I mean. It struck me the other day that if I were a terrorist organisation attempting world dominance then I would start by diseminating information that would make countries unstable and seperate allies. Lets suppose I wanted to bring down Britain, perhaps I might infiltrate the media and start rumours that caused finanacial panic, or rifts in the european union, I might then inflame reports about splits in the united kingdom itself, divide and conquer eh? I might have already been at work in other countries around the world to bring about political unrest and overthrow governments,using the same methods of drip feeding inflamatory information it could all be part of the same plan...or am I just being too fanicful? We British would never fall for that..would we?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote:
I agree with Tiz about the old active 30 but have found that if I start on the 'Registered Users' page there is a list of recent topics and it's easy to work from that. I use the Recent History caret next to the arrows in the Firefox bar to get back to the registered users page. When I've worked through the active topics I look at the category list on the registered users page to see if there are any I have missed. No doubt there will be an easier way but I haven't found it yet.
Try the links from the user menu on the front portal page. Quick Links to:

Unanswered Posts
Active Topics
Your Own Posts

Just noticed it.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for that Ian, I hadn't even seen the portal page until you mentioned it - there's just so much to explore on the new site.

Belle, I know what you mean about the news reporting. So much of life now is seen only through the lens of the news media and entertainment media. There was a report this morning about a survey of our attitude to honesty and it suggested that younger people see honesty as less important than do older people. But when you consider how much TV, films and Internet younger people have grown up with (both the quantity and quality) is it any wonder that they see extramarital sex and underage sex as OK (one of the report's findings)? Many TV shows present divorce as the norm - and now it almost is becoming the norm.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Diesel already at £1.40/ ltr , but U/L £1.32/ltr it gets cheaper down south as you get to the refinery and distribution centres ( the tanker lorries dont go so far so less labour and mileage cost of deliveries so 2 to 4 p per litre cheaper ( same for other places near refined products locations , prices then rise in areas of high demand - like London , but can be cheaper because of competition ! ).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Belle. I too wonder about that but I think the main reason for hyping bad news is the media's obsession with anything that stands out. They are all looking over their shoulder at ratings.
Whippy, 50 years ago when diesel engines were first being fitted in small vans Motor Transport did an article on the relative running costs of small diesel and petrol engines taking into account initial cost, longevity and maintenance costs. They came to the conclusion that the advantage small diesels had over petrol were marginal. At that time I think diesel was cheaper than petrol. Taking the present price differential into consideration I suspect that a similar study might come to the same conclusion. Look at two other things, due to the size of the fractions recovered in distillation there has always been more more petrol available than diesel and at the moment there is a world glut of petrol. I think this is what is driving the price of diesel higher than petrol and it will not get any better.
What grabbed me yesterday was the fact that stopping taking pain killers wasn't making walking worse. (All the coughing I have done over the last month triggered my back pain) I have been taking small walks and not pushing myself and things are definitely getting better. I think, from previous experience, that pain killers don't agree with me, they mask the worst effects but keep the low level pain going. Onward and upward!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Bradders Bluesinger wrote: A lady I met last year phoned to say that she'd booked a holiday cottage , nearby, for the week after next...
Watch out Bradders, she's heard about your pension and your £100!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, I had the same thought but decided he was old enough to look after himself.
Have been taking it very easy and reading PE. Do you know anything about the letter on page 16 'Prof-reding rownd up'? Also noted the comment re the Italian cruise ship captain leaving work early and mentioning Wallace Hartley of the Titanic orchestra. They say that the only memorial to him in Colne is the Wetherspoon's pub 'The Wallace Hartley' and that they didn't do their research very well because he was a Methodist and a fervent teetotaller. Are they right, is there no other memorial in the town?
Front cover of PE is the captain of the Costa ship claiming the Huhne Defence, i.e. that his wife was driving. I note that the net seems to be closing on Mr Huhne.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Callunna

Post by Callunna »

Julie in Norfolk wrote:The wee mouse in the ... humane trap... was let out into the back garden ... pointed towards house next-door. Hopefully that is the only moose loose aboot this house (hoots mon)! :D
Hmm - I understood that you should release the moose (you've got me at it now!) at least 500 metres away from where you caught it, otherwise - like Arnie - it'll be back...

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”