WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

See computers for my adventures logging on this morning!
I thought "oh God NO!! Not this as well!"
How surreal re-entry is. I shall go for a Jackless walk to get back on track.... (see Medical matters)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just the sheer normality and ease with which I have slipped back into home life with Jack. Long may it continue!
Later. A report on Today about knife crime in which it was reported that when asked the murder sqaud dealing with the stabbing of a teenager who died told the mother that they used to have two murders a week on the go, now the case load is 25 at any one time and the size of the resource hasn't changed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

An article in the Independent says `..in the year to June, there were 69,000 incidents of child wounding across England and Wales and 29,000 child robbery victims.' LINK ..and that's only half a year.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Got my UK state pension reinstated and 6 months back pay. Looking forward to jam on my bread again!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tiz, those figures are terrible and must worry conscientious police officers as much as they worry us.

China, good! Promises must be kept. Now they have to keep up the good work!
Woke at normal time this morning, five hours solid sleep. I have a vivid memory of a very detailed dream involving scrap yards and wagons.... I had to lie there and re-orient myself for a minute or two when I woke up. It's a long time since I had such a detailed and vivid dream. The brain is a seriously powerful organ. (Ian and I had a long conversation about that yesterday. He is certainly functioning normally! Bit of a miracle and far more serious than my problems.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If you're dreaming of scrapyards and wagons you must be back to normal! :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You might be right Tiz! It was so vivid! I can still see the images in my head. The brain is a wonderful piece of kit, sometimes it just seems to need to have a play-out!
Another solid 5 hours + sleep last night but no dreams.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Earby. Coronation Hall, (Old Library) open day today Sunday 4th Nov, 2-4 pm to view proposed plans for nine flats.
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Returning from a nice break in Durham via Blubberhouses yesterday set me to thinking what Mrs Trellis and her two erstwhile jesters might be up to this year. Rumour locally is that Boris O'Storiths is elsewhere in the country plotting. Missing his mentor Beamsly Bob hit the bottle and was found messing with the traffic control lights at Kex Gill. As a result he's currently holidaying at Her Majesty's pleasure. Will they be around to assist Mrs Trellis at emitter time? Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think so..... Mrs Trellis is back in Beamsley I hear and the small emitters are already erected.
The fact that though showing concern when he heard fireworks, Jack didn't panic but simply took to his safe place hidden behind the sofa for the evening after coming to me for a good scratch. Hopefully the worst is over now despite today being the 5th. Then there is his age, he's 11 now and perhaps is learning that there is no actual danger.
Am I alone in thinking there have been less domestic fireworks? Or am I speaking too soon!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A large rectangular light display somewhere in Barlick last night. I thought it was a fancy firework at first as it was changing colour constantly. Does anyone know where it would be?
I'd like to have a little moan about our early morning walk around the fields no longer being quiet and peaceful! We walk round the field next to Skipton Old Road in the "big dip" and with the hold ups on the A59 heading into Skipton a lot of high speed traffic is using the top road. The dip is a favourite overtaking place and it's frantic! Do people know that you shouldn't overtake approaching a junction?
Last week I pulled out of our track to head for Colne and the road was clear in both directions but by the time I was out on the road 3 fast moving cars were coming round the bend at the top of the hill and one of them was overtaking the other two! There was nowhere to go so I pulled into the side as far as I could and the cars being overtaken slammed their brakes on to let the idiot past. Scary.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

At 8pm last night there was an amber warning from Lancaster Uni Aurorawatch, at 9pm it went to red. That signifies potential visible Aurora anywhere in the UK. I had a quick look out but it was drizzling and could not see any clear sky. The alert dropped back to yellow at 10pm (visible from far North) and then green (no significant activity) by 1am. Which side of Barlick was it Wendy, and at what time, did you catch a break in the cloud and a natural phenomenon?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Comrade, I noted this morning that the large emitters have been erected in the Town Square. I feel it may be time to revive Lights in the Sky and find out what if anything is going on......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Definitely man made and at ground level Ian! I can't see a thing today to try and establish where it was but it was to the right of my field of vision before the hill gets in the way!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been racking my brain Wendy but have no ideas.
The scale and complexity of the bruise on the back of my hand where the drip needle was attached. The Flu jab nurse spotted it yesterday and commented on it, it's a beauty! I noted something interesting when they took it out. The cannula that's in the vein isn't the steel needle used to get in, it's plastic.
The reassurance you can get when a respected source tells you you are doing fine. We all need a bit of encouragement at times!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A modern cannula is a two piece design, the outer that enters the vein is metal but contains the inner plastic. Once inserted the metal outer is withdrawn and discarded in the sharps bin. Plastic is much easier to flush and maintain if used for longer periods. More comfortable and less prone to infection. I think my notes said they needed to be changed after four days. Four different sizes in general use according to the chart on the AAU ward wall, all colour coded, depending on what they need to shove into you.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I shall store that information away for future reference!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I think the lights I saw might have been at Victory Park, was there a fun fair there on Sunday?
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes and a fireworks display.

Oh, I think the fireworks may have been on Saturday.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was Saturday Ian but I expect the funfair will be for more than one night.
Jack went into hiding last night and refused to come out. He must have heard fireworks inaudible to me. The sooner they end the better!
An appointment at Airedale on Thursday. I have to call to find out more. Could be the path lab report so tension mounts. I shall perhaps know the size of the rabbit. Tension mounts!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Fireworks were on Sunday at Victory Park :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Poppy heroes banned by health & safety goons!' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I stand corrected Kev......
That story about the poppy sellers being thrown out of the shopping mall is shocking Tiz. Unfortunately that's the 'jobsworth' response you get when staff are over-instructed, given no flexibility and are scared of losing their jobs.
When I was working on boilers we hit a similar problem as firms tightened up their H&S procedures under new legislation. Every time we went on a job we had to be 'inducted' into the company's H&S policies often by someone very young and totally inexperienced working from a hymn sheet laying down the rules to men who had spent their lives doing the job.
All well and good you could say but my problem was that once this box had been ticked the company were then legally absolved from any responsibility even though they knew that in order to get the job done, strict safety rules had to be ignored and a blind eye could be used.
The aspect that this has in common with the poppy sellers is that the back story is the same, the company looking over their shoulders at the legal eagles and trying to build a prior defence if something goes wrong. The 'not me guv' syndrome.
The number of disturbing stories coming out of local councils about the erosion of essential social services, particularly those helping abused and deprived children and the elderly.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Panbiker might be interested in this story...
`Thousands still watch TV in black and white' LINK
`More than 7,000 people still watch TV in black and white more than half a century after colour broadcasts began. London has the most TV licences for black and white sets at 1,768, followed by 431 in the West Midlands and 390 in Greater Manchester. A total of 7,161 UK households have failed to start watching in colour despite transmissions starting in 1967. BBC2 was the first channel to regularly broadcast in colour from July that year with the Wimbledon tennis tournament. The number of black and white licences has almost halved in the past five years and is down from 212,000 in 2000...'
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I don't have a great deal of TV knowledge - but what are they watching? The analogue signal has been fully switched off by now surely, and I doubt any black and white set could cope with a digital signal.

Put me down as sceptical. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”