WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

plaques
Donor

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by plaques »

Toys R Us, looks like going to the wall. Although at first sight it looks like a bricks and mortar firm not able to compete against the mighty Amazon there's something about its present position that doesn't quite add up. Link. The UK arm of the firm was said to being quite well and even loaned the parent US company £580M which has now gone down the tube or pocket, who knows? Along with another £8M annual royalties waved away. Then the UK pension fund has slipped into a £30M deficiency but at the same time the CE earned £1.3M last year. To dig themselves out of this hole they are requesting a £9M pension bailout or else we will close down with the subsequent loss of 2700 jobs. This looks like one big blackmail scam lining the pockets of a few with total disregard for the ordinary worker.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been listening to the reports as well P. The general opinion is that while the refusal to bail the pension fund out is harsh and could cost a lot of jobs, this looks like blackmail and a stand has to be made. I don't fully understand the ins and outs but what I do know is that it makes my crap detector go into full warning mode. I trust my CD.......
Trump and his Chicago School tax cuts. It's the old story and in effect a con-job on the blue collar workers but will they recognise it?
Of course there are those over here that say this is a good thing because the US will buy more of our exports.... Don't hold your breath Kids!
Later, Historic England announce that the car park in Leicester where Richard III's remains were found, the site of a priory at the time, has been given the highest level of protection, Ancient Monument status. I've had a bit of experience in this field and can tell you that Ancient Monument status by itself does not ensure protection. What is needed are vigilant interested parties on the ground, usually volunteers or a local historical society. These should be encouraged.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 20 Dec 2017, 09:09 Toys R Us, looks like going to the wall.
That caused me a moment's excitement - I thought Plaques was playing word games and I misread it as `Torys R Us, looks like going to the wall.'

Ancient Monument status and Richard III. Is the AM status for the car park? Richard isn't there any more.
Important archaeological and geological features are often at risk, especially those in remote locations. A 115 million year old dinosaur footprint at Flat Rock, Victoria, Australia, has been badly damaged by someone smashing it with a hammer or a stone. Some of the damage to such features are done by people trying to steal them, some by vandals. In the case of geological and palaeontological features they have sometimes been destroyed by people who want to remove evidence that discredits creationism.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard the report on BBC national news last night.... Much more immediate impact when it's close to home. You can't help wondering why it happened.....
Tiz, I had to read it twice as well!
The way today feels different psychologically because the days are now lengthening. All in the mind of course but at least we know it will improve!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If you like satire (and especially the impressionist Jon Culshaw) then listen to Episode 1 of the Dead Ringers Christmas Special on Radio 4 at 6.30pm this evening LINK Episode 2 is at the same time on the following Friday. Wikipedia says: "Born in Ormskirk, Culshaw's first job was at Red Rose Radio (now Rock FM) in Preston in 1987, where, even then, he used to occasionally read the weather in the voice of Frank Bruno"...."In past programmes he would phone up commercial organisations such as a Kwik-Fit garage in the voice of Patrick Moore or Obi-Wan Kenobi politely requesting whether they could service his X-wing fighter and how much time it would take"....."Culshaw rose to fame in January 1998 while working with Steve Penk on Capital Radio, by impersonating William Hague and succeeding in contacting Number 10 Downing Street. He was put through to Tony Blair who, despite instantly discovering the ruse, had a lengthy conversation with him until a member of Blair's staff ended the call"...."In November 2007 and December 2008, Culshaw, a keen amateur astronomer, appeared on The Sky at Night impersonating a young Sir Patrick Moore."
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll keep my eye open for it. I like the programme.... It will probably be repeated at 12:30 today....
What attracted my attention was lack of contact with one of my daughters. I went into a mild panic largely because I had been watching a slide show of pics of Janet, she is on my mind at the moment of course because Boxing Day is the anniversary of her death. It turned out that a post she made on Whatsapp hadn't appeared.... She reposted and I heaved a big sigh of relief.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A couple of days ago there was a report of a new UFO sighting by fighter pilots. These reports still stir up a lot of excitement despite the fact that no solid evidence exists for alien spaceships and a third of a million volunteers have spent many years searching for any hint of aliens from outer space (the SETI project). The public likes to believe in aliens rather than looking for any of the other, more plausible, explanations.

Whenever I hear of such sightings I think of how aircraft, missiles, drones etc under development, often in secret, could explain them. The Lockheed U2 spyplane made famous by the Gary Powers incident and then only made public in the 1960s was already (officially) flying in 1955 but for all we know development versions could have been tested earlier than that. It could operate at 70,000 feet, twice the altitude of modern commercial airliners. Also there were experimental, very fast, rocket-powered aircraft flying in the late 1940s and the 1950s. Eric `Winkle' Brown followed a UFO in the 1950s to a high altitude until it suddenly accelerated away at a much greater speed than his jet was capable of. I think this could have been an example of one of the secret developments.

Another candidate for being mistaken for a UFO is the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft that looks like something out of a Star Wars film and yet the first one officially flew in 1962. In side view it has a `flying saucer' shape. It's worth keeping in mind that this aircraft was developed and built under a $96 million contract from the CIA and can fly at over 2,200mph (Mach 3) and reach 82,000 feet. In 2013, news reports said that Lockheed has been working on an unmanned reconnaissance aeroplane it has named SR-72, which would fly twice as fast at Mach 6. Several other high performance aircraft and `unmanned aerial vehicles' are under development. With luck there'll be plenty more `UFO' sightings in the future to keep us amused! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I happened on a Youtube video of James May having a flight in a U2. Fascinating, especially the vapour trail of a commercial flight over 40,000 ft below and the curvature of the earth. Well worth watching....
As for aliens, I reckon they're here already. Look at political leaders like Donald Trump. I rest my case.
What often gets my attention is the fact that if we met someone in everyday life who spoke in the same manner as some speech-makers and TV presenters we'd automatically assume they were not normal!
Later after our walk. What struck me this morning was how quiet it was. I could hear the wind in the trees and the sound of Jacks claws on the pavement. I wonder if, because of the Xmas shut-down, things like exhaust fans and machinery which is usually on 24X7, are shut down and so there is not as much background noise. I noted the same thing many years ago when for some reason I forget, all flights were stopped and I could hear the traffic on the Gisburn Road from Letcliffe.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We too have noticed how quiet it is, primarily due to less traffic on the roads. It's surprising how far traffic noise carries and we grow accustomed to the constant low level sound from distant vehicles. We then don't notice it until it disappears. But total lack of sound is something else altogether. In that TV programme on sound Helen Czersky went into one of those muffled chambers where all external noise is screened out. You could understand how someone would quickly lose their mind under those conditions.

The Daily Telegraph now tells me that a `former Pentagon X-Files chief' says the existence of UFOs is 'proved beyond reasonable doubt'. LINK I'll wait until I see good evidence. Coincidentally, we've just had a UFO scare that caused panic in California and with which my explanation of sightings fits neatly - `Rocket sparks 'alien' and 'End of World' fears in California' LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 24 Dec 2017, 09:45 where all external noise is screened out. You could understand how someone would quickly lose their mind under those conditions.
As a special treat and to avoid embarrassment I put my new hearing aids in for my visit to the Doctors. After 5 minutes in the waiting room I had to take them out. I couldn't stand all the background sounds. Canned music, trolleys rattling. kids playing and 'ping pong' next patient. Being ultra quiet hasn't affected me. Nothing wrong with my mind. Nothing wrong with my mind. Nothing wrong with my mind.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Bosom Friends Santa Fun Run went off without issue and much fun was had. After helping moving the water and minced pies onto station under the gazebo. I assisted the lad who had come to put the finishing gantry up, he was on his own today so a couple of us helped him build and raise it and get the barriers out. Chief Elf reckoned there were about 250 runners today, all setting off from West Craven High School car park. Route was down through the Harrison St park, Lower Rook St, Clifford St, Raihall Rd down to Long Ing onto canal bank to Salterforth, back up Kelbrook Rd, Park Hill, Park Rd, Rainhall Rd, Newtown, Station Rd, Fernlea and back into the Town Square. Rotary Club did the street and route marshalling.

All counted out and back in, no injuries or anything else untoward, cycling marshal's round the route and checking last ones back. Most of the water and mince pies were munched with a few left over. Barlic Bites provided the brewing equipment and bacon or sausage butties for the marshals and other Chief Elf minions. Lots of other sponsors who's support we are very grateful for. I think our spare bottled water is going to Barlick Fell runners who have an event of their own on the horizon.

Gantry disassembled and back on the truck, gazebos packed and all equipment shifted, Town Square clear by 12.30. A good turnout to say that we had to cancel earlier in the month due to treacherous pavements, nothing like that today, a tad windy but a much better day for it. Fund raising totals will come later. Ho Ho Ho. :biggrin2: :smile:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Well done to all involved! :good:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You had a very powerful sound system.......
What attracted Jack's attention was not audible to me but I'll lay a small bet someone was letting fireworks off last night. His hearing must be amazing....
I've found the Helen Czerski programme and will be watching it today.
How good it is for my puritan side to have the washing and cooking done and a clean house!Free leccy day has forced me into the habit of having a day dedicated to these pursuits once a week. I like it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Town Square does seem to amplify it somewhat Stanley, but it was loud enough! Fireworks were noted here as well, they were up Taylor Street or on Monkroyd somewhere, could see them from our kitchen.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Plaques, like you I tend to wear my hearing aids only when I need them, partly because the batteries seem to run down fast and also because, as you noted some sounds can be a bit overpowering. Of course, this is the Catch 22 - if you don't wear them all the time you never become fully accustomed to `normal' sound levels. I had them in when we walked to a friend's house yesterday afternoon and the wind was making loud crackling sounds through the aids. It's a bit disconcerting, but on the upside at least I can hear what people are saying about me (like `Why doesn't he wear those hearing aids more often then he'd know what we were taking about')! :smile:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 25 Dec 2017, 12:04 ...but on the upside at least I can hear what people are saying about me (like `Why doesn't he wear those hearing aids more often then he'd know what we were taking about')! :smile:
or "he thinks he passes wind silently but..." :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The execrable 'singing' of the London Gospel Choir'. See Lights in the sky for the full rant.....
The beautiful creamy texture and lovely taste of Wensleydale Creamery's Orange and Champagne cheese.....
Dissatisfaction with the majority of Xmas broadcasting on both TV and radio. I fear I am losing touch with modern tastes.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 26 Dec 2017, 04:44 Dissatisfaction with the majority of Xmas broadcasting on both TV and radio. I fear I am losing touch with modern tastes.....
We watched the old Morecambe and Wise special and Dad's Army, I gave up after that and went to bed with a book.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I know the feeling..... I ended up watching Skyfall to pass the time.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I watched Dr Who and was disappointed. It's a long time since I saw an episode and this now seems to be just long, drawn out drama tarted up with special effects and laced with lots of silly pseudo philosophical statements.

Here's two things to grab OGers attention...
`Cotton: The mills are alive with the sound of sewing' LINK

`Smarties: How the stocking staple got its name' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw the report on TV. It would have benefited from a bit more research.... The 'looms' they picture is actually a spinning frame....
I watched University challenge and the following programme on reindeer.... I enjoyed it.
The main event yesterday was a lovely visit from Susan. I made her a steak butty which she pronounced superb and then we had mince pies. She baked me a small Xmas cake but apologised for the fact that she'd forgotten to put the butter in. It didn't harm it, I think I liked it better, tasted lovely. So we had our Xmas with many of the trimmings.....

Never seen festive Edna Everidge sunglasses before!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

She wears them well...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Newbie18

Post by Newbie18 »

Stanley wrote: 23 Jan 2012, 14:15 The fact that OG was back online. Like the rest of you I am stumbling through the undergrowth and learning how the site works. Must have a look at posting pictures.....
me too maybe we can all meet up at someones house with internet and practice posting.
Anna Tandy :biggrin2:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”