WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

I'll say no more :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

A heads up for classic F1 fans, tomorrow afternoon on Quest (Freesat 167) it's the Monaco Historique. Programme starts at 1pm with sports cars then the early 70s F1 race at 2:30pm and late 70s F1 race at 3:35pm.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks for that Kev.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I like the nuclear spider image Kev! Terry Pratchett would have loved it - earlier in life he was publicity officer for the nuclear plant for British Nuclear Fuels.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The unrest between the Israelis and Palestinians, always to be expected on the anniversary of the foundation of the State of Israel but made worse by Trump and his embassy move.
The news of the catastrophe at the Guard's Polo Club. It has made it's first annual loss ever said to be due to the inability of foreign players and grooms to get entry visas! I feel the Empire tottering....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later.... As, if I have understood correctly, I am on free leccy until 08:30 I have blown my compressor tank full, put the slow cooker on early, mopped the kitchen Vinyl with Dettol and Bleach and vacuumed round. I shall confirm the situation when I get my bill at the end of the month but feel fairly secure! It looks as though getting up early is going to pay a bonus.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`When Burnley was Britain's theatre capital' LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Remember going to Burnley's 'Vic' a couple of years after the war. We could only afford the cheapest seats up in the Gods. The seating was so steep that you had to cling onto the end row seats when you moved up and down the steps. Still remember the dancing girls. Perhaps that's why dad took me to broaden my knowledge.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My theatre going experiences during the war were limited to the works annual concert in Denton each year and the Palladium and Hippodrome in Stockport for music hall and pantomime. I can remember Arthur Lucan and his daughter Kitty McShane doing Old Mother Riley, Norman Evans doing Over the garden wall and Wilson Keppel and Betty doing their 'Egyptian' sand dancing..... That dates me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Two things to be wary of...
`Keyless cars causing dozens of deaths'
`Dozens of people have been poisoned by carbon monoxide after failing to turn off the ignition on keyless cars, according to the New York Times. Its report found that 28 people had died and 45 others had suffered injuries since 2006....' Keyless cars
I couldn't find any accurate stats for the number or proportion of keyless cars in the UK but a Guardian article referred to `millions of keyless cars'.

`'Pension mountain' needed by older tenants'
`Tenants who will still be paying rent when they retire will need a pension pot of up to £445,000 to avoid falling living standards, research suggests. The calculations come from analysis by pension provider Royal London which said savers needed a "pension mountain" for older age. It comes after the BBC reported concerns among the growing number of middle-age private tenants in the UK. Many said they faced the prospect of working longer to pay their rent....' Pensions
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Guardian report on Theresa May's 'pledge' yesterday to spend £400million on replacing dangerous cladding on social housing flats. All she said about the private sector was "the landlords should pay". Too many private tenants are threatened with enormous charges and in my opinion it should be tested in law whether the landlords can get away with this. After all presumably they approved the installation in the first place so it is their responsibility. Saying they didn't know it was dangerous is surely no defence?
I can believe the need for the 'pension mountain' Tiz, the way leasehold property is administered holds leaseholders to ransom.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later, the government has announced that the maximum bet on Fixed Odds Betting Terminals is to be reduced from £100 to £2. Good! A sensible decision but I would have liked to see them banned completely.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 17 May 2018, 03:42...Too many private tenants are threatened with enormous charges and in my opinion it should be tested in law whether the landlords can get away with this. After all presumably they approved the installation in the first place so it is their responsibility. Saying they didn't know it was dangerous is surely no defence?
But if they approved the installation because to the best of their knowledge it was safe then they do have a defence. The manufacturers and installers claimed it was safe and the landlords can only go by what the experts say, otherwise nothing would get built. If the landlords are forced to pay then they'll have to go after the manufacturers and installers to recover the money. It would be better if the government forced the manufacturers and installers to pay all the costs directly; they're the ones who have been `gaming' the system. The regulators are at fault too because they allowed the gaming to occur - they allowed real world tests to be replaced with predictions based on what manufacturers thought would happen in a fire.

Here's a different fire danger...
`Vape pen explosion pierces Florida man's cranium killing him' LINK

And here's a serious problem for Japanese commuters.... :smile:
`Japanese train departs 25 seconds early - again' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's the argument put forward by the woman who produced the report on cladding. I feel sorry for her because I think she has done a good job and put her finger on the real problem, the Building Regs are not fit for purpose. The problem she has hit is the gap between a technical assessment and a simplistic solution that can be understood by lay-people. Her mistake was to assume that her expertise would be deferred to.
Well done Trawden forest Parish Council. They have restored the cast iron urinal on Skipton Road!

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ok everyone...I have obviously missed the topic where everyone has an angle on the Royal Wedding. Which topic do I go to? The buzz is growing and I have to know what you are all thinking.
Or is there no topic? ( nobody gives a "rats"?)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

With uncharacteristic cynicism in the Politics thread, Stanley thinks it is just to take our minds off things. Would it were that easy. :smile:

"Does anyone else get the impression that THE ROYAL WEDDING is being used as a diversionary tactic?"
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Basically Marilyn its what Stanley would label "À chacun son goût". Most women would prefer to watch the Royal Wedding than the FA football cup final. Conversely most men would prefer the opposite. I'm a bit like the 'Stealers Wheel' 'Stuck in the Middle with You'
"Clowns to the left, Jokers to the right' No problem with 'The Wedding' its the Royal bit that gets up my nose.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Ah...I see...
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

:geek: but who will buy all the coffee mugs with the Royal faces on? It seems such a waste...
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 18 May 2018, 03:51 That's the argument put forward by the woman who produced the report on cladding. I feel sorry for her because I think she has done a good job and put her finger on the real problem, the Building Regs are not fit for purpose. The problem she has hit is the gap between a technical assessment and a simplistic solution that can be understood by lay-people. Her mistake was to assume that her expertise would be deferred to.
Well done Trawden forest Parish Council. They have restored the cast iron urinal on Skipton Road!

What a monstrosity! Trawden Forest Council spending money on this relic! Should have gone to the same place as your 7.5" Belco chuck! [comment removed]
Last edited by chinatyke on 18 May 2018, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

China, the aim, pardon the pun, was to get it registered as a Grade 2 structure. I doubt if there was more than a tin of paint spent on it. Remember, when you gotta go you gotta go, and if its gone you're left peeing in the wind.
Here's one I took about three years ago. Always mindful that there are people with no sense of nostalgia.
P9040087AC.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

I've seen worse but not grade 2 listed!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact I overslept two hours..... Who cares?
The new version has 'Gentlemen' signs over each entrance.....
Maz, you post away on the wedding if it takes your fancy, I'm with P, we should get rid of the monarchy not spend millions on a wedding. (Have rough sleepers been tidied up?)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Bad news, Chris Evens is commentating on the Royal Wedding. Most people will remember he's the one who shouts, makes funny noises, talks so fast that he has to repeat it, gets the intonation all wrong, in general is a pain in the ass. On top of that is paid £2.2M for doing it. Compare him with Richard Dimbleby and you realize how bad things have got.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”