WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Big Kev »

PostmanPete wrote: 23 Jul 2020, 09:17 Maybe this should be a 'forgotten corner' but this wonderful sculpture in Letcliffe Park by Stathis Dimitriadis from Leeds has sadly been vandalised. It was part of the Pendle Sculpture Trail and hopefully it can be repaired although it's been badly smashed. (It has been removed from the site in the last few days) My Grandson loved it and called it his "big ice cream" :sad:

Stathis' website is worth a look for his story behind the sculpture (in the blog section)

https://stathis-dimitriadis.com/
Unfortunately there appears to be a spate of vandalism in Barlick. The skatepark ramps at Victory Park have taken a battering too.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"there appears to be a spate of vandalism in Barlick"
Not sure if it's a 'spate' but certainly a lot about, see my comment about the 2M distancing signs. I simply don't understand vandalism unless it's a way of people convincing themselves that they have control over their lives.
On another subject, Jenni Murray has announced she is retiring and leaving Woman's Hour. I will miss her....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I received my free TV licence yesterday. Kev is right, if you are over 75 investigate Pension Credit, you might be pleasantly surprised.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Your FREE TV licence is by the good offices of the BBC nothing to do with government paying it. Next year the BBC may change their minds. Watch this space.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm aware of that Ken but I have a licence now until this time next year.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The Times yesterday wasted 4 full pages on the failing relationships between our Royal family members, then another full page on the Depp fiasco!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I enjoyed watching the programme on good old Princess Anne last night, my favourite amongst the royals (because we are the same age). She works hard, doing what they should be doing, not being modern and glamorous and fussing about intrusion...
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The reaction, on the BBC, about removing Spain from the 'air corridor'.

This isn't a political issue, the government were criticised for reacting too slowly with a lockdown, they're now criticised for acting too quickly (that's how I see it) in introducing 14 days quarantine for holiday makers returning from Spain. I'm sure there was mention of 'things may change to adapt to changing situations' in previous government announcements.

I don't think people have grasped the fact that we're in the middle of a potentially deadly pandemic...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 10:20 good old Princess Anne
Whenever she is mentioned I immediately think of her visit as Colonel in Chief to our Sergeants Mess. It was carefully arranged, and one of my mates was assigned to stand near the entrance and make sure no photos of her were taken from a 'side on' view. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once met her when I was with an English Heritage group touring an old house, turned out she ran a disabled children's riding school there. She spoke to us collectively and I realised that my old prejudice against being spoken to by haughty women on very big horses was still true. (I had a very bad experience once with Mrs Coulthard from Gargrave and a meet of the Craven Harriers!)
The old Victorian saying 'So unlike the home life of our Dear Queen!" now has an entirely different meaning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

cloghopper
Regular User

Post by cloghopper »

Big Kev wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 10:32 The reaction, on the BBC, about removing Spain from the 'air corridor'.

This isn't a political issue, the government were criticised for reacting too slowly with a lockdown, they're now criticised for acting too quickhat's how I see it) in introducing 14 days quarantine for holiday makers returning from Spain. I'm sure there was mention of 'things may change to adapt to changing situations' in previous government announcements.

I don't think people have grasped the fact that we're in the middle of a potentially deadly pandemic...

Governments and their spokspeople refer to their concerns for our collective health and wellbeing. The misery and economic disaster being created by these measures are going to be far worse than they realize. Bankruptcy, suicides, and failures of household names, are all on the cards now.
Deadly pandemic in more ways than one.
cloggy.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

cloghopper wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 07:44 Governments and their spokspeople refer to their concerns for our collective health and wellbeing.
One wonders how much joined up thinking they do. A lot of people who have taken advantage of a break to Spain, and who can blame them, will now becoming back short of cash and then having to face two weeks quarantine. How many can afford this extra imposed break and will return to work as normal? The governments response will be 'Am I my brothers keeper?'
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 08:20 A lot of people who have taken advantage of a break to Spain, and who can blame them, will now becoming back short of cash and then having to face two weeks quarantine. How many can afford this extra imposed break and will return to work as normal? The governments response will be 'Am I my brothers keeper?'
I seem to recall there were warnings of the 'air corridor' being subject to change and potentially at short notice. This may sound harsh but, if having been made aware of this potentially happening people would plan for it.
'Er indoors works in a school and advice given, just prior to the summer holidays, was to be prepared for an additional 14 day isolation period when booking a foreign holiday.
Further to this, we're not planning on a foreign holiday. We do have a short break booked in Ross-on-Wye but this will be 'under review'.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Going on a foreign holiday in the middle of a pandemic is barmy. Anywhere can become a `hot zone' at short notice and the virus can spread very fast. If one of it's mutants (and there are many) becomes more infective we'll be in deep trouble. Everybody's whinging about holidays curtailed but if the virus gets it's boots on we won't be fit to go on holiday and there won't be any customers for the airlines and holiday hotels then!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Sounds about right...
Screenshot_20200727-102755_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Socks and sandals, says it all. :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree about the fact that anyone who books a holiday abroad should be aware of the risks of doing so. Keep it simple, go to Sodom on a camping holiday!
Ian. Don't knock socks and sandals. The Romans wore socks with their sandals when they invaded and conquered Britain.
Two things grabbed me this morning. My old Highland Stoneware pot developed two bad cracks and started leaking. I don't remember knocking the rim but I suppose I must have done. I had a replacement stood in the wings.
My first mask wearing shop at the Co-op. I now know about the misery of steamed up glasses.

Ian, ask Sally how many masks a tenner will buy, I need spares for washing. Will money into Bosom Friends do the trick? They are charging a fiver each in the shops....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 11:47 an. Don't knock socks and sandals. The Romans wore socks with their sandals when they invaded and conquered Britain.
I think I hold the high ground on this regardless of the invaders. :extrawink:
Stanley wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 11:47 I need spares for washing.
How many do you want?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 12:03 I think I hold the high ground on this regardless of the invaders. :extrawink:
I believe you do :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 11:47 I now know about the misery of steamed up glasses.
Stanley, rinsing your specs with a bit of washing up liquid should help.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian, a tenners worth into Bosom Friends.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

:good: :thankyou:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ian delivering the extra masks.... Together with instructions from Sally that I was not to donate. I sent a respectful message back to her that I accepted the free masks but would still donate to Bosom Friends. They looked after me when I needed it and I am still in debt to them. (I sent it this morning Ian.)
The fact that clever clogs Stanley who usually gets the timing of dog walks right slipped up badly yesterday at 14:30. Ten minutes into our short walk (after going out in sunshine!) we were in the middle of sheeting fine rain so heavy you could hardly see across the Pioneer car park. Top was dry, I had my waterproof on but I had to change my trousers when I got in, they were soaked.
A report that daily internet use prolongs efficient cognitive health. Oh good! So OG is not only a brilliant site but good for our mental health.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Victor Meldrew would say `I just don't believe it!' Ignore the flashing lights and drive your lorry onto a level crossing, endangering the lives of people on trains, passers by and the driver's own life...
`Lorry smashes through Essex level crossing barrier' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I once stopped the East Coast Express like that on Snaith level crossing but for a legitimate reason. Mammoet are such an efficient firm, I am surprised. Driver asleep at wheel is the only explanation I can think of.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”