WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Wendyf »

Facebook reports saying it's a plastics factory on Shaw Street.
That might be Green Road, best tell my son on Basil Street to keep his windows shut.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You were right Wendy. See THIS BBC report.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

The sun directly overhead just before 1pm. We're about 10 miles south of the Tropic of Cancer.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

These Poldark pictures are fun: LINK
`Poldark knitted figures 'go global''
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry Tiz but I see it as dumbing down culture. All right, I admit to being a po-faced old fart! I tried Poldark and found every cliché in the book. The wet shirt and six pack image seems to be the one that does it every time. Look what it did to Jane Austen......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I gave up with Poldark after the first episode but I'm tempted to watch the new series as some filming has been done at Berkeley Castle where I worked as a governess many moons ago.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I've never even watched Poldark - I love Cornwall too much to have it abused in a TV drama! But I thought the knitted figures were good fun.

The mine that was used in the original series is near Helston and became a tourist attraction but then faded over many years as people forgot about that series. I had some correspondence with the man who owned it about some suggestions for how to improve it but sadly he got cancer and died. I think the mine has been re-started under new ownership. (Just before that man died he was invited to a big gathering in Mexico where many Cornish miners had emigrated at the end of the 1800s and he was well-respected, so I like to think he at least had a grand finale!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard rock mining was definitely a transferable skill. Have a look in the LTP at the evidence of Horace Thornton and find the sons of ? (I've forgotten the name, it will come back to me!) While talking about Cowling he suddenly made a link with a large mine in Australia and took me by surprise. Yorkshire lead miners who had migrated.
A long and garbled email I received this morning that asked confusing questions about Ellenroad. Question is do I respect the sender and try to answer sensibly or do I ditch it? I ditched it and now have a vague sense of guilt! I shall get over it, life's too short......
Five minutes later.... I told you it would come back, Sons of Gwalia. Have a look at this LINK and note that Herbert Hoover, later to be President of the US was at one time the engineer. Surprising the linkages you stumble on when researching Barlick cotton mills!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Stanley wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 03:48
A long and garbled email I received this morning that asked confusing questions about Ellenroad. Question is do I respect the sender and try to answer sensibly or do I ditch it? I ditched it and now have a vague sense of guilt! I shall get over it, life's too short......
My view is that you should respect whoever has interest in the project and has taken the time to reach out to you. Not everyone is literate so ignore the rambling. It might be some old man who is not computer savvy and has lots of hidden information, or a foreign student researching the project. Anyway, it's bad manners not to reply. :extrawink:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I agree with China. Unless it was meant to insult I would have answered some of the more salient points and waited for a reply. Bad form Stanley.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 03:48 I ditched it and now have a vague sense of guilt!
It should be recoverable from deleted items or your trash folder Stanley. Most email clients have catch all for inadvertent deletions, that's if you want to review your decision. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

On this theme - a good opportunity for a 'human interest' story.
In 1993, I popped into an exhibition of paintings on the top floor of a book shop in Cambridge, I as very taken by them, and thought that one day, I'd like to own one. I kept the catalogue, and put it in my desk drawer. It's still there, after twenty five years.

The internet came along, and it became possible to get more information about the artist. I discovered too late in 2013, that I had just missed an exhibition in a gallery not far from here. I went anyway, and had a chat with the owner. She came from Nelson, so we spent most of the time talking about Barlick. I set an alarm with an auction site to be alerted whenever one of this artist's works came on the market. I got the first hit last year, but the sale was in the USA and I wasn't too impressed with that particular work, and with shipping difficulties, I let it go.

The a few weeks ago a second hit - for an auction in Cambridge. The reserve looked affordable, and the picture was listed in my catalogue. I attended, and managed to buy it. There was some competition, but I was happy with the price. On the back of the work was an address label for the artist. I thought the saga might amuse her, so I took a chance and wrote her a letter.

I was delighted to get a response by email in which she said she was pleased to receive my letter, and having just got back she would respond more fully later. She hasn't done so yet, but that's fine. I wound up the matter by sending her a photo of the picture on my wall which I hope will please her. I won't pester her.

So - the moral is - respond to random messages if it's not too much bother, It's impossible to put your work in the public space and not expect to get such correspondence.

'Noblesse Oblige'. You might make an old man very happy. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 08:02
Stanley wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 03:48 I ditched it and now have a vague sense of guilt!
It should be recoverable from deleted items or your trash folder Stanley. Most email clients have catch all for inadvertent deletions, that's if you want to review your decision. :extrawink:
And also recoverable by logging in to your broadband provider's webmail page and downloading a copy of the message from your account or writing down the email address.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Talking of replying to something here is a Facebook acceptance feature. "Your face recognition settings are currently turned off. Select Accept and Continue if you accept that Facebook uses your face recognition data and want to turn it on, or Manage Data Settings to keep it turned off.". basically its saying its OFF until you say continue then its ON. but if you don't want it ON then go to Data Management and turn it OFF.
Its almost approaching George Orwell's 'Doublethink' where contrary conditions are both true.
I'll think about it!!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Mine is definitely set to no. I have no personal data in the 'bio' either.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sorry lads, I'm evidently in the minority here.... The mail was sent to multiple recipients and I have had enough mails like this in the past to recognise trouble. I have a very simple policy with mails like this, bin them. Life's too short to waste time on what you are sure is a can of worms.....
So, not 'bad form' in my book, just common sense!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Now you've put it like that I agree with your decision. You can <view source> of emails without opening them to see if there is anything suspicious.

Just checked and I can no longer do that with Firefox and Outlook. It used to be right click and select <view source> - is there another way of doing this?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

If you receive them in Thunderbird (as I expect Stanley does) you can view it by clicking View | Message Source.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( don't laugh)
We had something of a pong in our kitchen today. I first detected it when I had the cutlery drawer open this morning and an odour floated out as I used the kitchen scissors and returned them to their place, had a quick look in the drawer looking for an obvious source of "the pong"...finding nothing I slammed the drawer shut and thought I was imagining things.
By lunch time "the pong" was more obvious, so I checked the spuds in the pantry ( nowt worse than a rotten spud)... But my spuds were pristine.
Febby noticed "the pong" soon after. We checked all the cupboards/the kitchen bin/ and sniffed the kitchen sponge. I changed the tea towel and put some drain cleaner down the kitchen sink.
For some reason ( being thorough I suppose) I pulled out the bag of special recycled plastics that we take in specially each week to the supermarket ( I've only been doing this for 3 weeks, and it is a bit of a chore to be honest)
Poooooh! What a stink when I opened the bag!
Febby's fault. He had unwrapped the fresh chicken we bought days ago and decided the bloody wrapper was "recyclable" and so wanted to be a good boy and put it in my recycle bag.
Thanks sweetie! ( what a pong!!!!)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It probably grew a wonderful culture of salmonella and campylobacter!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

That whole bag of plastics has now been binned.

Have you ever had a "pong" you had to hunt for? Drives you nuts!!! :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes, little creatures brought in by the cats that have escaped behind washing machines or fridges then died! Now you have reminded me of the expired mouse under the floorboards beneath our bed ...just when Colin was suffering from a really nasty infection after his bladder op. We had to move into another room and take the floorboards up!! :nooo:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oh yes, I do remember that, Wendy.
And I am so pleased that Col is in a much better state of health now...( wonderful that we manage to almost forget the bad times)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Being a farm in the centre of town we always had more than our fair share of lodgers. In the early days I used to put Warfarin poison down but a dead mouse stinks for about a week so I gave up to poison, we ignored the noise of them playing rugby in the ceilings and we relied on cats.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”